Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Afternoon tea in London recommendations

(54 Posts)
Yourownpersonaljesus Tue 20-Mar-18 20:07:42

I'm planning on taking my mum for afternoon tea for her birthday. Was thinking of going to the Ritz but there's not a great deal of availability for the dates I want. Any suggestions? Around the £50 - £60 mark per person.
Thanks.

mumsie2007 Tue 20-Mar-18 20:09:52

Been to many, would go to any of the following again:

Dorchester
Claridges
Langham
Lanesborough
Landmark

Have a lovely time xx

HermioneWeasley Tue 20-Mar-18 20:13:11

Thr Wellesley is a beautiful Art Deco 5* hotel in Hyde Park Corner, but because it’s next to thr Lanesborough their afternoon tea only costs around £35. Quality is lovely and they’ll bring you more of anything you want.

MilesHuntsWig Tue 20-Mar-18 20:14:06

I loved fortnum and mason and the bateaux london ones on boats on the Thames are nice. There’s one you can do on a London bus if you fancy something different (B bakery I think).

Munchkinba Tue 20-Mar-18 20:14:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Almostthere15 Tue 20-Mar-18 20:15:12

For my mum I'd go to fortnum and mason. Availability is easier than the Ritz and the tea salon upstairs with the piano is gorgeous. It's very touristy but is old fashioned luxury and you can have a wander around the shop after

Sharpkat Tue 20-Mar-18 20:17:21

I have been to lots and always go back to Fortnum. Perhaps not the nicest room but they have a choice of afternoon teas and as someone who is not a cake lover The Gentleman's (ok it is sexist) Afternoon Tea is perfect for me.

Waterlemon Tue 20-Mar-18 20:19:51

Not been myself, but my aunt loves a posh afternoon tea.
She recently recommended to me the Houseguards hotel, but to go in the summer as you can request a balcony terrace table that overlooks the houseguards parade/Whitehall.

Celticlassie Tue 20-Mar-18 20:22:39

I'd second The Wolesley. We had a lovely experience, and it doesn't feel as touristy as some of the other places you can go.

Yourownpersonaljesus Tue 20-Mar-18 20:27:39

Thanks everyone. Off to check out the menus.

ourkidmolly Tue 20-Mar-18 20:29:32

Really didn't rate Fortnum's at all. Thought service was shocking.

madragra Tue 20-Mar-18 20:31:36

Was at the Dorchester at Christmas. It was very nice

Claridhes afternoon tea is my happy placeb it’s wonderful...the ritz was a bit of a let down

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 20-Mar-18 20:33:34

I've done a few and Claridges is my favourite - importantly they offer second helpings! He

catlovingdoctor Tue 20-Mar-18 20:35:56

The Wolseley is lovely!

Snowmageddon Tue 20-Mar-18 20:36:13

Browns or Savoy.

MercedesDeMonteChristo Tue 20-Mar-18 20:36:35

Sure it's been mentioned, but definitely Fortnum & Mason. So good on so many levels and a lovely big table.

Svalberg Tue 20-Mar-18 20:37:10

Claridges or Brown's

MissEliza Tue 20-Mar-18 20:39:03

I've only been to the Wolseley in London but dh and I still talk about their cucumber sandwiches and that was 7 years ago!

Yourownpersonaljesus Tue 20-Mar-18 20:52:02

I can't decide! They all look good. Which would you say has the most grand setting. I have been to the Ritz before but it was a long time ago. I wanted somewhere with that kind of feel about it - somewhere special as it's a special birthday.

Claridges, I’ve taken my mum for 2 birthdays (make sure you tell them it’s her birthday and they bring a little extra pastry with happy birthday on the plate) and we absolutely love it

The wait staff are amazing, setting is divine and it’s just an absolutely special setting. I absolutely love it

BennyTheBall Tue 20-Mar-18 21:10:57

I am not a big fan of afternoon tea, but the Wolseley is one of the nicer (and cheaper) ones.

Go for the champagne version, only a smidge more expensive.

Do you have Instagram? Search the hashtag of the hotel/restaurant or search on Places and you’ll see people’s pics from there

But claridges totally wink (we’ve done 9 different ones in different places and it always comes out on top)

Yourownpersonaljesus Tue 20-Mar-18 21:12:21

Also only Fortnum and Mason seem to have a vegetarian menu. Could I request vegetarian sandwiches on a separate plate (for me only)?

your everywhere we’ve been has the option for veggie sandwiches only

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: