Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you ever rescind your citizenship?

(68 Posts)
Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Tue 20-Mar-18 14:57:08

Just something I've been pondering for a while due to current political situations around the world?

Can you ever see a situation where you would give up your citizenship?

If you're British is there anything here that would lead you to do it, or if you are from somewhere else what would it take for you to give up your citizenship, rather than maybe just taking a second citizenship of another country?

CaoNiMa Tue 20-Mar-18 15:04:19

If things carry on the way they're going with self-ID, I'd be tempted to fuck off somewhere else. Not sure where though. Some fantasy all-female utopia.

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Tue 20-Mar-18 16:12:36

You see I know several people who have done similar (not for the same reasons and definitely not utopia! grin), but people who have moved away from their country of origin and set up a new life and even taken citizenship tests in their new adopted home and very much consider their adopted country as "home" but I don't know a single person who has actually rescinded their citizenship of their original country of birth.

AcrossthePond55 Tue 20-Mar-18 16:17:17

I would have said 'absolutely never!'. But I live in the US and, well, everyone knows how things are here now.

At this point, I say 'not yet' because I still have hope, but if the shit really hits the fan and 'that man' declares himself president for life or some such shit then I'd absolutely be looking to get the hell out and for any way to establish citizenship elsewhere.

NeverTooOldForAnything Tue 20-Mar-18 16:19:01

Some countries don't allow dual citizenship, so depending where you choose to live and settle, you may have to just pick one

AcrossthePond55 Tue 20-Mar-18 16:19:55

Cao

Themyscira, perhaps? Where Aphrodite's law is supreme; "Under penalty of death, no Man may set foot on Themyscira." grin

PsammeadPaintedTheLion Tue 20-Mar-18 16:21:37

I'm British but have lived in Germany for the past 12 years. I feel being British is quite an important part of me and I don't think I will ever feel not British, but I'd legally change my nationality in a heartbeat if being British became too difficult (Brexit, or if the UK because super right-wing or something).

Hakarl Tue 20-Mar-18 16:22:19

No. I'm in the process of getting a second citizenship but would not choose to give up my British citizenship. Maybe if there was a war in which I was going to be conscripted but that's very very unlikely. Maybe if Britain was like the US and required me to pay tax there despite living somewhere else, but that is also unlikely.
I know a few people who have given up their original citizenship and they are all American.

pointythings Tue 20-Mar-18 16:25:06

It's not always a choice you have. I'm from Holland, living in the UK. If I were to take UK citizenship (and I am totally eligible), I would lose my Dutch citizenship. And that is a step too far for me.

There's plans to legislate to allow people caught in the Brexit fallout protection so they can keep their Dutch citizenship, but those do not exist yet.

Aside from the practicalities, it's a thorny issue. Unless you're Theresa May and you have this belief that you have to have one citizenship or be a 'citizen of nowhere', I think you can have multiple places where you put down roots. And once you have done so, you won't want to tear them out again.

Hakarl Tue 20-Mar-18 16:25:50

But both my countries allow dual citizenship. If they didn't it would be a tricky choice because non-citizens don't have full voting rights in my adopted country. I want to vote here where I live and pay tax.

Archfarchnad Tue 20-Mar-18 16:30:03

So have you not yet applied for German citizenship Psammead?Just about every Brit I know in Germany has applied for - and got - German nationality in the past 18 months.
The only one I know who will be giving up another nationality is the woman who's Australian - once she gets her German citizenship she'll automatically lose her Australian status.
I can't really see myself giving up being British, but it's not going to be very important to me in future. I'll possibly never renew my British passport, cos they're ridiculously expensive. Depends how much it will annoy me standing in the 'foreigners' queue at Heathrow once a year.

halfwitpicker Tue 20-Mar-18 16:31:22

Nah.

I've got Canadian and British, no way I'm rescinding either.

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Tue 20-Mar-18 19:39:01

Interesting.

So full disclosure - one of the reasons I ask is that an acquaintance in our social circle is Russian - married to a Brit and has lived here for over 20 years. He has absolutely no intention of ever rescinding his Russian citizenship. It's one of the countries that I would like to think I would turn my back on if it was my home country because of the way its dictatorship government acts.

Similarly - my FIL is Indian but moved to the UK 60 years ago as a small child - he has never been back, even to visit, doesn't speak the language etc, but still only holds an Indian passport and while in reality he is as British as the next person - he really isn't. I find it odd.

For what it's worth - I have lived overseas (and would love to move back there) and I can see me choosing to take citizenship at some point much later down the line if we were to move back and stay there, but I don't think I'd ever want to give up my British or Irish passports - only however because I believe we would always keep close links to here.

Teutonic Tue 20-Mar-18 19:54:07

No.

WickedGoodDoge Tue 20-Mar-18 20:01:21

I renounced my US citizenship a few years ago.

Kursk Tue 20-Mar-18 20:04:42

I renounced my British citizenship last year, I am now American.

I don’t ever foresee a reason to move back to the UK, despite being born British and living there 30 years I don’t feel British

Lisette40 Tue 20-Mar-18 20:04:47

WickedGoodDoge my dh did as well. He was an accidental American and the tax issue was going to get complicated.

WickedGoodDoge Tue 20-Mar-18 20:08:14

Lisette I wasn’t accidental (though DC are!) but ditto. grin Was allowed in the Consul General’s fancy office to take the vow though- that was nice. grin

DotForShort Tue 20-Mar-18 20:28:31

My husband is Russian. He would never give up his Russian citizenship, though he now also holds dual citizenship. He is about as opposed to Putin's government as it is possible to be, but his sense of belonging to his nation is not dependent upon the actions of a government. Similarly I am a US citizen but wouldn't give up my citizenship because of Trump (though I find him utterly loathsome and extremely dangerous).

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Tue 20-Mar-18 20:38:34

For those of you who have done it - how long have you lived in your new place?

I'm in a funny position in that I am Northern Irish and identify as N.Irish first and foremost. I do still feel British though as well as Irish totally mixed up in my head and I can't ever imagine wanting to give up either of those citizenships.

DH is English, although identifies as British rather than English. DC are technically Scottish I guess seeing as they were born here so that raises interesting questions as they would be entitled to Scottish passports in the event of independence. They too identify most as Northern Irish despite never having lived there and, like me, have dual British/Irish citizenship.

I think the oddest thing for me would be if we, as a family, ended up with different passports despite all coming from roughly the same place - I already find it weird that the DC and I are Irish and DH isn't - yet he has as much affinity with Ireland as the kids do

Lisette40 Tue 20-Mar-18 20:41:46

WickedGoodDoge he didn't get the fancy office but the official was very kind which was nice. He was very sad renouncing. Still a Jets supporter but that's a life sentence...grin

sonjadog Tue 20-Mar-18 20:53:15

I have done it. I have lived in this country for two decades and will probably live here for the rest of my life, so it made sense to become a citizen of this country. The UK is just the place I grew up now. I wanted to be a full member of the society in which I live.

WickedGoodDoge Tue 20-Mar-18 21:12:40

I’d been here over 20 years and knew I would never have any desire to go back to the US and the whole tax situation was giving me sleepless nights. Literally.

Kursk Tue 20-Mar-18 21:32:03

I became a US citizen within 3 years of moving to the USA and renounced my British a week after getting my US

Laska5772 Tue 20-Mar-18 21:37:18

I would because I dread what will happen after Brexit but I have no option sadly as English wa back on both sides of family . Wish I had the Irish and French grandparents , I always thought I did due to romantic stories told by my late grandmother , but sadly its not true ...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: