Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

The last male northern white rhino has died.

(9 Posts)
CFSKate Tue 20-Mar-18 10:30:52

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43468066

spiderlight Tue 20-Mar-18 10:38:25

Oh no - so sad. Just unbelievable that it's come to that.

SneakyGremlins Tue 20-Mar-18 10:39:05

Just seen this sad

AreYouTerfEnough Tue 20-Mar-18 10:40:19

This is sad sad

Saisong Tue 20-Mar-18 10:42:07

This hugely upset my kids when we heard it on the radio this morning, they found It really hard to grasp the idea of a whole species disappearing sad. It did prompt a great discussion on the environment and how we affect it though.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 20-Mar-18 10:46:04

So very sad. I know someone who worked with the Conservancy & met him, not all that long ago, he was quite something apparently. I hope they're able to find a way to make ivf work to help the species continue.

Luckingfovely Tue 20-Mar-18 10:47:20

This breaks my heart. If you haven't read it, can I highly recommend the book Last Chance to See, in which Douglas Adams visits the rhinos among other near-extinct species? I have been fascinated with these rhinos since reading it. And also kakapos!

Also a tv series with Stephen Fry.

DeltaG Tue 20-Mar-18 12:42:26

My God this is so sad, it brings a tear to my eye sad

Most other large species on this planet are doomed. The human race is like a cancer and we'll cause our own demise sooner or later too.

worridmum Tue 20-Mar-18 14:05:20

Whats worse is that it was not that endangered just that poachers in less then a decade managed to kill 15,000 of them...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: