Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have I been unlucky with Ocado, or are hey a bit rubbish?

(26 Posts)
ForkIt Tue 20-Mar-18 07:45:40

In the fourth week of trying them, consistently bits are missed, unavailable or something turns up squashed. This week things they didn’t have, but haven’t find anything to swap for:
Brown bread (standard brand)
4 tins baked beans
Coffee
Stir fry
I mean really, why wouldn’t they substitute basics? The one substitution they’ve managed was their nice layered vegetables with garlic for a rubbish bag of chopped broccoli and carrots which was well over priced.

MinnieMousse Tue 20-Mar-18 07:50:56

You've been unlucky compared to me. I've been using them for about 3 years and have only ever received about 3 substitutions which were all the same item but in a different size. If something is squashed you can report it on your account and they give you a refund.

Equimum Tue 20-Mar-18 07:55:30

I’d say unlucky. We have rarely experienced things being out of stock, and on the icassions when they have been, there has always been a suitable substitution made. As pp said, we also find they offer no quibble refunds and the driver has even set some up when he has spotted items to be damaged (e.g. a household product had leaked a tiny, barely noticeable bit, but the driver smelt it in the box, identified the problem, left the item and set up a refund).

I hope your experience improves, but for now, I would call them and let them know your experience.

verite Tue 20-Mar-18 08:02:22

I think they are the best out of all the delivery services. Very rarely have omissions (apart from one annoying new year). If anything has been wrong with the order they have always immediately refunded. If driver going to be even 5 mins late they call and let you know. But service may be location dependent?

OutsideContextProblem Tue 20-Mar-18 08:06:22

I’ve been using them for years and years and I wouldn’t expect as many problems as you’ve had per year let alone per month.

It could be a location thing perhaps?

I’d email them and list the problems and ask for an explanation/bribe to give them another chance.

NataliaOsipova Tue 20-Mar-18 08:06:57

I think you've been a hit unlucky. They're not perfect by any means (the "no substitution available" thing is sometimes very irksome, especially when it's for something like bread or laundry detergent!). But I'd agree with others that they're the best of the bunch and customer service is pretty responsive.

nobutreally Tue 20-Mar-18 08:07:49

Unlucky I'd say - I've used them on and off for years and consistently the least subs and out of stock of any online supermarket I use. But as others have said, may well be localised

wendz86 Tue 20-Mar-18 08:08:14

Unlucky . I rarely am missing anything . They usually let you know earlier in the day if I am as well do know if I need to go pick anything up . I find them very good .

DerelictWreck Tue 20-Mar-18 08:08:58

Agree you've been really unlucky - I've used them for years and can have never had a missing item or unavailable substitution; usually it's just different brands or sizes as a pp said.

Have you had bad snow where you are? That might explain it if they've not been able to get deliveries to their warehouses.

ForkIt Tue 20-Mar-18 08:10:50

Morrison’s have been amazing (I know same delivery) for years, as people are describing for Ocado.

I had some squashed yogurt the other day and I found the driver a little too questioning wanting to see it, I let him come back in in the end and lift it out the yogurt smeared bag himself to handle.

Maybe I’ll give it a last try, but I’ve been very unimpressed so far. As a plus delivery slots are amazing, always loads whereas Morrison’s are t great for last min, but I can’t even remember last time morrrisons didn’t bring something

ForkIt Tue 20-Mar-18 08:11:25

A bit of snow but nothing dramatic (London)

dingdongdigeridoo Tue 20-Mar-18 08:14:24

I’d say unlucky. I don’t use them regularly as they’re expensive, but all my orders have been spot on. The guy always checks whether eggs and bread are squashed. I don’t think I’ve ever had a substitution even at Xmas.

Complain to them. Their customer service is great and you might get some vouchers.

Panicmode1 Tue 20-Mar-18 08:14:41

Jumping on the bandwagon to say unlucky. I've used them for as long as they have been going and I've rarely had a problem, and if I do (off chicken) they have been brilliant.

However, that said, I have had more substitutions recently - but sensible ones and nothing I've sent back.

I'd email them - their customer services are usually very good.

GlubGlubGlub Tue 20-Mar-18 08:23:28

I have been using them for years with no problems but there is definitely something going on with them at the moment. I have had to complain about the last 2 orders and there is nearly always something squashed/rotten/missing. Hopefully it’s just a blip and they will sort it out soon.

DerelictWreck Tue 20-Mar-18 18:44:41

OP I'm London too (North/North East) and love them! I wonder if you've got a bad depo/driver or something?

WannaBeWonderWoman Tue 20-Mar-18 19:16:34

Substitutions are very rare in my area but I'm going to have to stop using them as I am sick to death of squashed/damaged produce.

Delivery on Sunday - whole 2.2l of milk burst in crate that leaked over 5 bags of shopping. Driver had to take everything out of the bags on the doorstep and hand it to us dripping with milk all over the floor. Had to rinse everything and refuse veg. Not happy as didn't want to reject it as so many items and the delivery wouldn't have been worth it.

Had the same issue with burst cans of coke, squashed bread, flowers and fruit.

Really disappointed as I like their products and I can always get a delivery slot when I want one. Hoped they would improve after numerous complaints but going to give up now.

ForkIt Tue 20-Mar-18 21:53:51

Hmm I’m North East too.

Yes to the burst milk, but I’ve been caught out twice as it’s double bagged, so the milk explosion happens int he kitchen when I unknot it.

I did email, as yet no reply. Dunno, but something about saying they have no substitutes for baked beans or a standard loaf irked me!

ForkIt Tue 20-Mar-18 21:55:34

The tricky stuff...

ForkIt Tue 20-Mar-18 21:55:56

Oh cut some off, but the gist is there

Notcontent Tue 20-Mar-18 22:05:16

I've been using them for many years and have never had any problems.

SilverySurfer Tue 20-Mar-18 22:09:43

Rubbish - first time I ordered didn't turn up and customer service was non existent,

ForkIt Thu 22-Mar-18 19:23:11

To update I didn’t find the customer service amazing either, I was offered to instead buy my smart pass at an offer rate. Which was the same money. I’ve cancelled it.

octopusrus Thu 22-Mar-18 19:32:01

I've just switched to them from Sainsburys as I got a free year delivery offer.

If I was you I'd try Sainsburys. When I used them for the last 2 years I think I only had 1 or 2 substitutes (which were sensible ones!) and once when something just wasn't available.

Also being able to change or add to your order until 11pm the night before your delivery is great. My new Ocado cut off is 5.40pm which is really annoying timing in the middle of kids' tea, meaning I often forget to add something and check out again!

ForkIt Thu 22-Mar-18 19:55:13

I’ve been happy with Morrison’s, just thought Ocado might be a treat for a while and a change of scene. Sainsbury’s always seems to cost ££, I find Tesco and Sainsbury’s expensive, I guess it depends on your eating habits which works out best

Sammysquiz Thu 22-Mar-18 19:58:13

I had the same kind of problems - consistently out-of-stock with basic items (eg. chicken breasts, bananas, cucumbers). I gave up in the end & switched to Tesco & have never had a substitution with them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: