Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Trunki....worth it?

(20 Posts)
Nounicornshere Tue 20-Mar-18 06:35:29

What do I need to know?

Oldest age it’s suitable for?

Are they robust?

Worth buying or shall I not bother?

parrotonmyshoulder Tue 20-Mar-18 06:36:49

Ours were presents. Cute and loved by children (when about 2 and 4). Bulky, annoying to store, small interior. Can’t really ride on them (well I wouldn’t let mine in a busy airport anyway!).

NellytheElephant18 Tue 20-Mar-18 06:39:30

No! We abandoned ours very quickly. They are so difficult to access, everything falls out when you finally get it open (unless you pay extra for the bag/tidy thing that you can remove)
They are bulky and unwieldy- bash your ankles with it and you know about it!
I’d pick a pull-along kids trolley case with nice convenient zip top opening that they can keep at their feet on a flight and just dive in and out of with ease.

FairyPenguin Tue 20-Mar-18 06:40:16

I wouldn’t bother. Rucksacks are better for you/younger children to carry, and older children can wheel a small case if they are careful. If we are going to be hiring a car or using taxis then my two use the Trunki backpacks which are also booster seats. Now those are worth it.

Livingthedream12345 Tue 20-Mar-18 06:49:22

Used ours loads. Loved it. My little girl rode on it all round the airport every time we flew anywhere. Would also play on it whilst away. Age 2 to 4 best I would say. It held all her stuff needed for a weekend trip.

LittleCandle Tue 20-Mar-18 06:53:24

Every other person in the airport will want to kill you for having a Trunkie. You are always in dire danger of being tripped up by one of these bloody things. Don't bother!

JackietheBackie Tue 20-Mar-18 06:55:31

No, bulky, impractical and not very safe. The booster seat backpacks on the other hand - worth every penny.

dontgetowtfernowt Tue 20-Mar-18 06:58:35

We like ours for car trips with toys, teddies etc (they fit in the footwell), as PPs have said I'd never take them on a plane.

LyannaStarktheWolfMaid Tue 20-Mar-18 06:58:52

No, it’s rubbish. Hard to clip the two halves together. Every time you open it everything falls out. Hard to pull around and too heavy for the little ones to pull. Get a nice little suitcase instead.

NewNameADayKeepsSpiesAway Tue 20-Mar-18 06:59:51

DS got one aged 2 and loved it. Was dead useful and we towed her round the airport on it with no issues - if you keep the lead short you won’t be endangering anyone. It was a godsend when we didn’t take the pushchair. And inside is spacious enough for a change of clothes in case of emergency spillages, some toys and activities.

We sold ours on eBay after she outgrew it age almost 5 and it got a good price. I would actually also recommend buying second hand, ours was in great condition after lots of use.

namechange2222 Tue 20-Mar-18 07:00:19

No a nightmare

TropicPlunder Tue 20-Mar-18 07:02:40

Was brilliant for age 2-4.....we do frequent long hauls with just me and my daughter. She's too big to ride it now and it's hard for her to pull it without tripping somebody, so we didn't use it from 4. But for a tired toddler on early morning flights it made my life easier!! I ran for short connections pulling it while she sat on it....was great

ZenNudist Tue 20-Mar-18 07:04:43

Awful things. Agree with Nelly:

*No! We abandoned ours very quickly. They are so difficult to access, everything falls out when you finally get it open (unless you pay extra for the bag/tidy thing that you can remove)
They are bulky and unwieldy- bash your ankles*

Would also say child doesnt play with it after the initial novelty wears off. It just sat in our holiday apartment as inconvenient toy storage (every time you open it toys fall out and its a puzzle to get them back in.

Better off taking a bag where you can access thir toys on the flight.

Bananamanfan Tue 20-Mar-18 07:06:55

No, you cannot fit enough stuff in it and it is totally unyielding. Also, not great for riding on. Dd has a character suitcase from the Disney store, which is really good. I think Micro scooters do a very pricey scooting suitcase.

Fekko Tue 20-Mar-18 07:09:28

Ds loved his and it's now being used child 3!

MissWimpyDimple Tue 20-Mar-18 07:16:37

Hideous.

Nice as a novelty toy but totally unpractical.

Child falls off of being pulled. Child crashes constantly if self propelling.

Nothing much fits in. You have to haul it out to open it and open it takes up 2 aircraft seats. Hard to clip closed again.

Worst thing is when parent inevitably end up carrying it and the solid plastic smacks against your hip and leg and bruises them to hell.

Nope

I've seen little suitcases with a scooter attached. Probably not ideal for the other users of the Airport but possibly easier to actually use?

Stompythedinosaur Tue 20-Mar-18 07:28:14

I like ours and they have had a lot of use.

We fitting enough clothing in them for a fortnight away. I suppose we are quite light packers though.

We are still.using them at ages 5 and 6, but they were probably at their best around 2-4.

TammyWhyNot Tue 20-Mar-18 07:59:05

A total fucking menace in a busy airport.
Awkward to carry when your child refuses, and can’t manage it themselves through a crowded tricky bit of an airport, when you are already encumbered and laden.

Taytotots Tue 20-Mar-18 08:10:37

We didn't like ours. Awkward to pull so then you end up trying to carry a heavy mini- suitcase plus the child that was meant to be sitting on it. A pain to get things in and out of on the plane. I think you can get a seat that goes on top of an adult carry-on on case and that is probably what I'd go for in hindsight.

Nounicornshere Tue 20-Mar-18 08:18:41

Thanks all - great input - much appreciated. Good to hear the pluses and mega-minuses. I have Enthesitis so already suffer ankle pain, the ‘crashing into legs’ scenario didn’t even occur to me so I am especially thankful for that being pointed out.

Think I will leave the Trunki on the shelf and look at a little wheelie suitcase as DD is nearly 4 so realistically won’t get much use out of it longterm by the sounds of your experience.

You all highlighted some valid points I hadn’t considered.

Big thankyou to all smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: