Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Heavy Bleeding post birth?

(25 Posts)
Ppbleedingwoes Sun 18-Mar-18 22:00:08

Had a c section almost 8 weeks ago and have had heavy red bleeding ever since. It stopped fully after a week and then I woke up one morning a few days later and it was incredibly heavy (ive never seen so much blood!) and I’ve needed a maternity pad since.

At my 6 week check I asked about it and she said it was probably just my period by now and not to worry (I’m also EBF)

Anyway I’m now almost 8 weeks pp and it’s showing no signs of slowing. Still bright red, minor clots, needing maternity pads and also cramps.

Is this normal? I feel stupid going back to the dr when she’s said not to worry about bleeding but I can’t help but worry. I’ve started getting dizzy and lightheaded so I know my iron levels are dropping - I’m assuming from all the blood!

Hmmalittlefishy Sun 18-Mar-18 22:02:49

I would go back to the gp (possibly a different one). Something doesn't sound quite right. Even if it was your period at 6 weeks it wouldn't still be ongoing 2 weeks later
I can't remember when I stopped bleeding after my c section but it was definitely before the 6 week check and I think quicker than when I had a vaginal birth

Birdofathousandvoices Sun 18-Mar-18 22:05:38

I think you should get it checked again. There might be something retained and causing ongoing bleeding. Even if it turns out to be nothing, I’d always say best to get checked! Can you phone the post natal ward or similar for advice?

PoliticalBiscuit Sun 18-Mar-18 22:14:46

I'd also phone the Labour ward and ask, I would be unhappy after 8 weeks. I'm guessing they'll advise you to see GP, I think you'd probably need a scan and maybe your blood levels checked?

NanooCov Sun 18-Mar-18 23:01:28

I bled for about 8 weeks with my first (vaginal birth) but it had really tailed off to almost nothing by 4/5 weeks. With second it was about 6 week of bleeding and again tailed off by about 4 weeks. I would get checked out in your position.

thegreatbeyond Mon 19-Mar-18 01:57:58

This happened to me, including the 'restarting' of the bleeding. I had a uterine infection. So, you should get checked for that.

I hope you feel better soon. It's not nice, after a section.

Vodkafairy75 Mon 19-Mar-18 02:54:52

Congratulations on your little one 😊. I agree on getting checked out. I am 4 weeks pp today after a c section & 2 weeks ago my bleeding got heavier & was bright red with some clots. I was in & out of my Drs before being readmitted to hospital. I got a scan where they could see something in my uterus, I was due to get a D&C the next day.

Fortunately after getting iv antibiotics I passed a small apple sized blood clot & didn’t need the D&C after all as that’s what was showing up on the scan. Within 2 hours I started having the pinky/brown discharge that I should be passing at that stage. I was on antibiotics for a week for a uterine infection, consultant said that was very common after having a c section.

I hope you get better soon 😊

Ppbleedingwoes Mon 19-Mar-18 10:16:13

Thanks so much everyone. I’ve booked an appointment with a different dr this afternoon. Hopefully they take me seriously!

Gohackyourself Mon 19-Mar-18 10:26:15

Hi there, congrats to your family.
I had this although had a vaginal birth. On week 3 I couldn’t even sit on chairs without a towel to soak the blood up , it was going through everything.i saw the dr and they done some vaginal checks and then gave me a weeks worth of tablets (something acid) can’t recall the name and within a day it stopped the bleeding. It was like I was haemorrhaging or similar- so bad I couldn’t even get out of house for the leaking :-(
Deffo speak to the doc and update us all this afternoon.fingers crossed

Gohackyourself Mon 19-Mar-18 17:03:40

How did you get on?

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Mon 19-Mar-18 17:09:50

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Ppbleedingwoes Mon 19-Mar-18 17:45:29

Thanks I went to the GP who did an internal exam. I’ve been given antibiotics and I have an emergency scan booked. Hopefully will have answers soon!

Birdofathousandvoices Mon 19-Mar-18 18:28:08

Glad they are investigating OP. hope it’s all sorted soon flowers

Hmmalittlefishy Mon 19-Mar-18 19:52:46

I'm so glad you went back and hope you get sorted soon flowers

thegreatbeyond Mon 19-Mar-18 20:36:03

Sounds about right. Sure it will all settle soon!

Vodkafairy75 Mon 19-Mar-18 21:56:02

Glad that your GP listened to you & you are getting the bleeding investigated. Hope your scan goes well & you are feeling much better soon xx

Ppbleedingwoes Tue 20-Mar-18 17:40:31

Thank you, it was thanks to the people here that she took me seriously and she originally said it would be due to me starting the pill (which I only started yesterday morning!)
Does anyone have experience of the antibiotics? Is it normal that my bleeding has got 10x heavier since I started them? Having a lot more clots too? My scan isn’t until Thursday.

Thank you grin

Vodkafairy75 Tue 20-Mar-18 20:08:20

I’m glad that she took you seriously. The antibiotics that I was on was iv to start with (had 2 x doses) then started on clav amoxicillin x3/day for 7 days. I passed a huge clot while I was still in hospital then it got lighter within a couple of hours so I’m not sure about the heavier bleeding but tablets will take a bit longer to work than the iv version so maybe that’s them beginning to work now. 😊

Hope your scan goes well on Thursday xx

Ppbleedingwoes Thu 22-Mar-18 13:52:53

Thank you, still bleeding heavily. I had my scan today that showed I have small retained products. They sent me home and said they should pass on their own at some point and that was that. They were utterly useless, surely if it was going to pass itself it would’ve by now! The sonographer said it was right at the top of my uturus. They also thought I was 3 weeks pp and said ‘it’s normal to bleed for 6 weeks. when I corrected them and said I was 8 weeks pp she said ‘oh it’s probably a period’ Argh so fed up. sad

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Thu 22-Mar-18 13:57:56

Have you had a full blood count? You must be quite anaemic by now!

I almost think this has become an A&E situation. You can’t go on with indefinite heavy bleeding! They need to give you tranexamic acid or possibly even do an EUA.

Ppbleedingwoes Thu 22-Mar-18 14:16:16

I mentioned about anemia as I keep feeling dizzy, she said to go to my GP and ask for a blood test if I think I might be, no concern on their part. Also explained have been soaking maternity pads in red blood in 2 hours for 8 weeks and she said ‘I know the bleeding is a pain isn’t it’ at a loss with what to do. I feel like something needs to be done but she was the expert and she told me to leave!

Reasontobelieve Thu 22-Mar-18 15:51:01

So sorry to hear that you are going through this. I had exactly the same problem after my first three miscarriages even after there had been a procedure to remove the pregnancies. Each time I was told that there were still retained tissues that would pass. This never happened and I bled for weeks. Each time I went back for countless appointments and scans until they gave me another procedure. I would say that if you are still bleeding next week go back to your gp.

Birdofathousandvoices Sun 25-Mar-18 12:29:05

Hi @ppbleedingwoes. How are you doing now? Don’t be afraid to ask for another opinion. I got sent away twice after being told it was a period, nothing to worry about, normal etc. Won’t bore you with all the details but eventually ended up having ERPC to fix. I’d not bother with GP again tbh - just call the ward that discharged you and ask them for advice

Ppbleedingwoes Mon 09-Apr-18 14:41:59

I lost this sorry! I ended up being called back after a senior registrar got hold of my scans. Had a hysteroscopy last week and they removed the products; there was a lot more than first thought and the pain has defiantly got better and bleeding pretty much stopped since.
Thank you to everyone who helped me!

Birdofathousandvoices Sun 15-Apr-18 17:07:38

Glad you’re sorted but sorry to hear it was so faffy! Glad the pain is better and bleeding stopped flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: