Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you only had a microwave and a kitchen tap. What would you make for dinner?

(68 Posts)
DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sun 18-Mar-18 21:52:16

For the next two weeks I have only the above. There must be more than ready meals? I’ve only ever used the micro for beans and sometimes scrambled eggs.

RunMummyRun68 Sun 18-Mar-18 21:54:15

ready meals....slimming world meals from iceland!

no toaster?

TenThousandSpoons Sun 18-Mar-18 21:54:25

Jacket potato in microwave and heat up beans/can of veggie chilli

Triangularsquare Sun 18-Mar-18 21:55:19

You can cook fresh pasta in the microwave. Heat up the water first then add the fresh pasta then microwave for approx. Half the time it gives on the packet

Joinourclub Sun 18-Mar-18 21:57:23

You can cook a fair amount of veg in the microwave. Mixed greens come out fairly well.

MintTpls Sun 18-Mar-18 21:58:06

Jacket potatoes with maybe:
Baked beans and cheese
Tuna & mayo

Pretty sure you can cook pasta, big glass mixing bowl add pasta and water keep cooking and checking, then drain and add a stir in sauce, tinned sweet corn, ham and maybe some baby spinach mixed in which will wilt.

You can get microwave steamers too so things like fish might be possible (though maybe a bit whiffy but yummy)

pastabest Sun 18-Mar-18 21:58:09

most vegetables can be steamed in the microwave

Jacket potatoes

you can probably poach fish and chicken but I've never tried it myself.

MintTpls Sun 18-Mar-18 21:58:46

Oh snap with above posters

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sun 18-Mar-18 22:00:09

I didn’t know that Tri I have some bollagnaise mince in the freezer as well.

I could have a toaster, it would have to go on the floor next to the kettle.

megletthesecond Sun 18-Mar-18 22:00:49

Microwave French toast in a mug, pizza in a mug (not great but will do for a light meal) and chocolate mug cake.

I'm training my dc's for when their students.

Catstar123 Sun 18-Mar-18 22:01:51

You can poach fish. I always cook salmon in microwave. Little bit of water in bottom of dish. Cover with cling film. Cook for 5 mins. Perfectly poached.

Veg can all be cooked in microwave.

Bacon apparently can be done in microwave.

Mug cakes.

Raretheyare Sun 18-Mar-18 22:01:53

I'd buy a Slow Cooker!

ferriswheel Sun 18-Mar-18 22:02:13

Could you buy an instant pot to go next to your toaster? Or upgrade your moicrowavre so it had a combined oven?

dangermouseisace Sun 18-Mar-18 22:02:27

Jacket sweet potato- tastes better in the microwave than baked! With 2 tbs plain yoghurt, pomegranate seeds and a tablespoon of walnut pieces. Yuuuuuuummmmmmm

Livingthedream12345 Sun 18-Mar-18 22:05:24

Bacon is ok in microwave, put between kitchen paper then between two plates.
Always cook fish in microwave, just between plates, don't like clingfilm.

RoseyOldCrow Sun 18-Mar-18 22:06:07

Rice is also easy in a microwave & can be converted to "egg fried rice" & lots of veg / meat versions the next day.

UpstartCrow Sun 18-Mar-18 22:07:07

I'd get a sandwich toaster and live off toasted sandwiches, for ever.

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sun 18-Mar-18 22:07:22

I had a look at instant pots this evening but I wouldn’t know where to start easy meals wise and dinners are a bit crap already without me dishing up even worse!

How long do you cook a jacket potatoe for? I assume one at a time, I’m feeding 4 of us

PositivelyPERF Sun 18-Mar-18 22:08:39

Potato waffles in the toaster (toast them 2-3 times to get them crispy) and toast. You can do scrambled eggs in the microwave then beans.

I’ve cooked vege burgers, vege sausages, vege fingers and fish fingers in a toastie pocket in the toaster. Ordinary burgers might be a bit smokey.

MamaMilkMachine Sun 18-Mar-18 22:08:54

Batchelors do some okay stuff that can be cooked in the microwave, the rice and pasta packs, I like the mac and cheese one with some ham and salad on the side. LO likes the golden vegetable one with some extra peas and sweet corn chucked in

FlibbertyGiblets Sun 18-Mar-18 22:09:22

Porridge with a mashed banana added after cooking. Add raisins and show the golden syrup the bowl briefly.

MamaMilkMachine Sun 18-Mar-18 22:10:03

Oh and I love your name @DailyMailDontStealMyThread they did that to me the toss pots

FlibbertyGiblets Sun 18-Mar-18 22:10:11

Sandwich toaster is a good idea.

PositivelyPERF Sun 18-Mar-18 22:11:16

dangermouseisace

Jacket sweet potato- tastes better in the microwave than baked! With 2 tbs plain yoghurt, pomegranate seeds and a tablespoon of walnut pieces

adds to my ‘I can’t be arsed cooking’ list thank you. 🙏

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sun 18-Mar-18 22:11:23

I have a sandwich toaster! And one of those panini ones they are in the loft and I didn’t give them a second thought flowers Upstart

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: