Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

The ingredient MSG.......and a dicky tum?

(45 Posts)
Reallylovepizza Sun 18-Mar-18 18:49:40

Hello all,

Normally we have pizza once a week as a treat - Dominos. We also maybe once a month get a Chinese.

The last three or four times weve had Chinese, I find my bowels pretty much explode within an hour. Wasnt sure why.

Then I bought a tin of Aromat in a fit of childhood nostalgia one day. I used it plentifully on a boring dinner this week and the same thing happened.

Then tonight we had Dominos and the same thing happened again!

Could the common denominator be MSG??? Does anyone else have a similar reaction to it?

Frankly im worried im never gonna be able to eat chinese food or pizza again! shockshockshock

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sun 18-Mar-18 18:56:04

MSG intolerance has been pretty much discredited. They did a study with a load of people who thought they had it, and none of them spotted foods with hidden MSG in them. Maybe a reaction to fatty or rich food?

BTW tomatoes are a natural source of MSG. If they don't set you off, you have your answer.

Reallylovepizza Sun 18-Mar-18 18:58:05

I don't eat them unfortunately. Never had one in my life!

Reallylovepizza Sun 18-Mar-18 18:59:14

Its just that I've had a gut like iron for 42 years and this has come out of the blue.

bruffin Sun 18-Mar-18 19:00:03

So the pizza has no tomato on it?

CustardOmlet Sun 18-Mar-18 19:03:15

Old age I’m afraid, grease getting to your guts! DHs exactly the same.

Spenlo Sun 18-Mar-18 19:07:35

What Chinese dishes are you having?

HarrietKettle Sun 18-Mar-18 19:10:18

I can't believe you wouldn't have had a tomato in your life as part of another dish, at least

prideofaberdeen Sun 18-Mar-18 19:20:21

Tomatoes are quite an important part of pizza! Have you never had bolognese or lasagne? Sorry just slightly bemused that you've never eaten a tomato ever!

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sun 18-Mar-18 19:22:18

As bruffin says - you have a tomatoless pizza?? That's just cheese on toast!

whampiece Sun 18-Mar-18 19:25:07

I always order my dominos with no tomato sauce. I find it much nicer as it's not slimy. Also DH gets wedges and chicken, so no pizza. Having dominos with no tomato is really easy, not sure why anyone feels the need to pick up on that?

OP I think the answer is less takeaway, save money and your guts! Whether it's MSG related or not, you know it's a common takeaway factor.

Titsywoo Sun 18-Mar-18 19:25:47

If I eat out I often get this. Usually if I eat something that's fried or cooked with oil. Doesn't happen at home though. It's some sort of weird gut reflex.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 18-Mar-18 19:29:37

My mother and I both get a rash on our necks from msg.

We both developed it at 27.

NewImprovedNinja Sun 18-Mar-18 19:50:23

I get migraines when I have too much msg. I think my body can cope with a certain amount so half a Chinese is usually fine but if I eat a whole portion, I get sick.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sun 18-Mar-18 19:57:34

MSG intolerance is a myth

Reallylovepizza Sun 18-Mar-18 19:57:53

Oh sorry I tbought you meant raw tomatoes. I eat ragu no problem.

The funny thing is that it hasnt mattered which chinese or what dish. Last time for example we ordered from the posh chinese and I only had plain noodles and 4 wee dumplings as I was trying to be careful. Made no difference - total explosive bowel.

demeego Sun 18-Mar-18 20:00:23

I dont eat fast food very much for this reason. I get it especially when i am greedy and eat too much Chinese, or if i eat food too fast. I get awful stomach pain/cramps. I think it could have something to do with the fat level in the dishes rather than the msg. On another note, ask for BBQ sauce on the base at dominoes instead of tomato sauce, its amazing! smile

BishopstonFaffing Sun 18-Mar-18 20:00:38

Broccoli has msg in too.

Reallylovepizza Sun 18-Mar-18 20:42:44

Have never eaten broccoli either! 😂

I never thought about the fat content. I presumed MSG because of what I now call "The Aromat Unpleasantness". That stuff is basically sodium + MSG in the ingredients list.

prideofaberdeen Sun 18-Mar-18 20:42:54

Ah yes it could be the fat levels. I don't cope with that very well either, those my symptoms aren't as extreme as yours.

Spenlo Sun 18-Mar-18 20:51:15

www.dominos.co.uk/blog/faq/

DO DOMINO'S PRODUCTS CONTAIN ANY MSG, ARTIFICIAL COLOURS OR FLAVOURS OR ADDED HYDROGENATED FATS?
No, we don’t use any of the above.

Reallylovepizza Sun 18-Mar-18 21:00:01

But if its fat, why hasnt it happened with burgers and chips? I just remembered I had one of those Grand Big Macs last week when travelling and no reaction at all.

Thoroughly confused at what the common denominator is.

PasstheStarmix Sun 18-Mar-18 21:05:22

@Reallylovepizza it sounds like you could maybe be suffering from IBS as sensitivity to certain foods is one of the symptoms as well as gas and bloatation etc.

Reallylovepizza Sun 18-Mar-18 21:19:24

Is IBS that selective? The only person I knew with IBS had to run to the loo after every meal, regardless of what it is.

I really dont know much about it. Can it start spontaneously in mid-life like that?

(I also dont have bad cramping, just an......urgency blush )

PasstheStarmix Sun 18-Mar-18 21:29:28

@Reallylovepizza I have a relative with IBS and yes it can be very selective. One food can set it off one day and not the next dor instance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: