Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Nerve agent the new WMD?

(6 Posts)
Nousernameforme Sun 18-Mar-18 12:21:53

www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/boris-johnson-says-russia-may-have-been-creating-and?utm_term=.cxqygAw0m#.xvNmrYLvZ

I admit I'm not very clued up on this situation, but when I read this i was reminded of the Blair/Bush WMD shenanigans which led to toppling Saddam Husseim.

Boris seems very vague and I can't help but think this is just going to be an excuse to impose sanctions and eventually go to war with Russia.

ClaudiaWankleman Sun 18-Mar-18 12:27:46

I can't imagine us going to war with a nuclear nation.

PaperdollCartoon Sun 18-Mar-18 12:29:24

We’d be mad to go to war with Russia, I can’t see any benefit in concocting something as an excuse to make this happen.

Nousernameforme Sun 18-Mar-18 13:52:20

Indeed war with Russia would be madness.

However it was thought Iraq was developing nuclear weapons and that didn't stop them going in their either.

I hope that we would be handling this diplomatically but thats a bit hard when both countries have ousted the others diplomats and you have BoJo stating stuff like this.

It feels very dangerous and like the lead up the Iraq war

MabantoMoonface Sun 18-Mar-18 14:03:49

It is nothing like the supposed Iraqi WMD

In this case the nerve agent clearly exists

Also there is no doubt that it came from a Russian lab - it may or may not have been state sponsored, but it there is no doubt it is from Russia

Also, why the hell would the British government fake this? What is the advantage of picking a fight with Russia?

Boris is a plonker and Theresa May is hapless. However Putin is a murderous gangster and we mustn't forget that

Thymeout Sun 18-Mar-18 14:19:00

We went into Iraq to stop it developing nuclear weapons. Russia already has more nuclear weapons than any other country on earth. Quite
different from Iraq. We will not be invading Russia any time soon.

Since Putin came to power, Russia has invaded the Crimea and Ukraine and supported Assad in war crimes. It has also interfered in Western elections. The prime suspect in the Litvinenko poisoning with polonium is now a Russian MP.

What do you think we should do?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: