Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Boyfriend has never been sledging - is this weird?

(116 Posts)
Motherofstudent Sun 18-Mar-18 09:07:39

Not my BF - my DD's. He's mid-20s.

I think this is very odd and a bit sad. We are UK btw - he's south midlands.

Snow always caused huge excitement in our household when I was growing up - and we immediately went outside to build snowmen, have snowball fights and and go sledging.

I have sledged whenever possible throughout the decades and even managed a couple of goes 2 weeks ago (we were just about the only place in the UK that didn't get more than a couple of cms...).

Anyone else NEVER been sledging?

Squirrelpatrol2174 Sun 18-Mar-18 09:09:25

Some people don't like the snow perhaps.

UterusUterusGhali Sun 18-Mar-18 09:11:21

Maybe he grew up in a town with no grassed-over hills?
It's not snowed much in the last 20 years tbh. I think my 15 year old has only done it a couple of times and we live in the South Downs!

ScarlettDarling Sun 18-Mar-18 09:11:29

Don't know if I have to be honest. Perhaps I did when I was a child but I can't remember. My husband has always taken our children sledging whilst I've stayed home with coffee. I hate the snow, don't know why you find it so unusual.

letsdolunch321 Sun 18-Mar-18 09:14:13

At 51 I have never been sledging and never encouraged kids to do it.

Not a lover of the snow.

You enjoy 🌨☃️

3luckystars Sun 18-Mar-18 09:15:41

I have never been, my kids haven’t, my husband hasn’t and my parents have not either.

I would estimate about 3 quarters of the world* have not either.

*not exact figures

FleurDelacoeur Sun 18-Mar-18 09:15:55

I probably did it as a kid. But not for about 35 years since then.

I hate the snow and see nothing fun about getting cold and wet. We have MORE snow today and I am so sick of it.

mintbiscuit Sun 18-Mar-18 09:18:25

I’ve never been either. Grew up in London with no sledging hills nearby.

insancerre Sun 18-Mar-18 09:18:53

I've never been sledging and I'm 50
I did grow up in Norfolk though
No hills
Its just flat with lots of trees

Omgineedanamechange Sun 18-Mar-18 09:19:19

I’ve never been sledging, wasn’t allowed to as a kid in case we fell off. As an adult I utterly fail to see why anyone would want to trudge up hills dragging a sledge through the snow, getting cold and wet, when there’s a perfectly good pub, with a warm fire, and a large selection of decent red wine just across the road.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 18-Mar-18 09:19:44

Oh dear you're calling him weird? Poor lad!
He might have grown up in a built up area or had a shit upbringing where his parents didn't do anything with him or buy him a sledge?
There might be things he did growing up that you haven't. .

Are you trying to drag him and dd out of bed to go sledging today? Good luck with that grin

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 18-Mar-18 09:21:36

Unless you’ve got a massive hill within walking distance, how would you? We don’t and haven’t and neither have our kids. How do you suggest we take them and why is it weird?

chatwoo Sun 18-Mar-18 09:23:03

I never have either, but I did grow up and live in parts of the UK that have never experienced heavy snow in my lifetime - and I now live outside of UK.

I can't imagine rushing out to buy a sledge when there was any sign of snow!

Smeaton Sun 18-Mar-18 09:24:46

Im 38..
Never sledged.
Never had a snow ball fight.
Never built a snow man.

Its not because im weird.. its because snow is fucking horrible. Cold, sludgy, wet and miserable. I stay out of it because i like to be warm and dry without being wrapped up like the Michelin Man.

Kidssendingmenuts Sun 18-Mar-18 09:25:23

I have and I'm 35!! I've taken the kids but I'm accident prone and will end up face planting or breaking something 😂😂 x

TeachesOfPeaches Sun 18-Mar-18 09:27:22

32 and never sledged. Grew up NW London.

ShowOfHands Sun 18-Mar-18 09:28:49

I haven't either. It's totally flat where I grew up.

Please don't feel sad for me or think I'm weird or neglected.

NoWordForFluffy Sun 18-Mar-18 09:29:36

Me neither. I'm 41 from somewhere relatively flat with a distinct lack of snow (it has more snow nowadays, seemingly).

It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Byebyebye Sun 18-Mar-18 09:29:40

I’ve never been sledging. This is because we didn’t live close enough to a hill suitable that I could get to with my friends and my parents weren’t into doing very much that involved effort for us kids.

So you know it’s not very nice to call people weird.

thenightsky Sun 18-Mar-18 09:29:56

Sledging was the best ever childhood activity. We used to pray for snow. I was born and brought up in the Yorkshire Dales and our house had steep fields right opposite the front door, which meant we didn't need to have parents with us. My mum could watch us from the kitchen window and used to shout and wave a teatowel when it was time to come in for meals. We'd sledge till it went too dark to see. Although there was one year we managed to fit torches to the front of the sledges. We had proper wooden sledges with gunmetal runners that we polished with soap to make them faster.

Strugglingtodomybest Sun 18-Mar-18 09:30:21

I think i did once when I was about 7. Can't really remember though. I just remember my neighbours dad making one out of the road sign!

purplecorkheart Sun 18-Mar-18 09:34:27

I haven't. Only suitable hill where I was growing up was part of the golf club guarded it to prevent it.

Motherofstudent Sun 18-Mar-18 09:36:51

ILostit I'm asking the question, not outright calling him weird wink (even though I think it is, a bit).

I'm not criticising, I just find it curious that what is a rare, natural source of fun and enjoyment to me is just meh to others.

Different strokes and all that... just idle curiousity on my part.

SeraphinaDombegh Sun 18-Mar-18 09:37:29

We never had a sledge when I was a child, so I had never been until two weeks ago when I went with DCs.

GrainneWail Sun 18-Mar-18 09:49:58

Never gone on a sledge either. I think my kids were the only ones in the world who didn't in the recent snow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: