Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Settle a row. Would you drive from Bristol to Uttoxeter today?

(45 Posts)
Collectorofcookbooks Sun 18-Mar-18 07:59:33

We are supposed to be meeting my parents for lunch. So would need to get back again too. DTs are 5 and would be coming with us.

I’m gung ho, happy to drive in snow and be prepared.

DH is super ridiculously cautious and wants us to cancel.

We live rurally and can already see cars going up and down the main road. His concern is that it keeps coming down and we won’t be able to get back. My concern is that he’s being an old fussy pots and we’ll miss out needlessly.

Who is right? Go, or not to go?

Cleanerswin Sun 18-Mar-18 08:00:38

I wouldn’t, not even without the DCs.

Chienrouge Sun 18-Mar-18 08:02:02

I probably would. I’m near uttoxeter and main roads are fine here

ShirleyPhallus Sun 18-Mar-18 08:05:09

I wouldn’t go

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago and the OP didn’t want to go but her partner did. Lots of suggestions of him being abusive for trying to force her to go when she so clearly didn’t want to.

Chathamhouserules Sun 18-Mar-18 08:06:00

I wouldn't. In case the weather worsens and you get stuck. Or it gets icy. No point risking it.

Collectorofcookbooks Sun 18-Mar-18 08:08:34

Oh, I wouldn’t force him to do anything! We’ve not had an actual row - more of a minor disagreement grin

Safety has to be paramount. (Plus, I think deep down he’s actually right but it’s an emotional response from me as it’s my Dads birthday and I really want to see him!)

Miloarmadillo2 Sun 18-Mar-18 08:08:39

I wouldn't, more snow is expected in Brizzle during the day, Amber weather warning. Lunch can easily be rescheduled.

TheSassyAssassin Sun 18-Mar-18 08:09:56

Can't get my car out...so I def wouldn't! Rearrange the lunch and have a snow day with the DC.

DullAndOld Sun 18-Mar-18 08:10:10

I wouldn't ..

LizzieSiddal Sun 18-Mar-18 08:11:01

Have you actually looked at the weather forecast? It’s saying “*Heavy snow and gusty winds*” for Uttoxrter.

Are you honestly prepared to drive in that with two children?

I’m 100% with your Dh.

grovebeach Sun 18-Mar-18 08:11:52

Depends how bad the snow is where you are, surely? We have none here

randomsabreuse Sun 18-Mar-18 08:12:06

Nope because I'm more or less on route and there's loads of snow...

TheSassyAssassin Sun 18-Mar-18 08:12:30

Your dad would rather have his DD and DGC safe and warm and will be much happier and able to relax on his birthday not worrying about you all driving! Oh and the panic buying has already started so if you need milk go get some! wink

wibblywobblyfish Sun 18-Mar-18 08:13:45

For the sake of lunch? No. Amber warning in place in Bristol til 9pm tonight. You might be able to get out fine but getting home may be difficult with all the other cars on the road that may have overestimated their capabilities.

turnipfarmers Sun 18-Mar-18 08:16:07

Absolutely no.

lifechangesforever Sun 18-Mar-18 08:17:10

I'm near Uttoxeter and have to go home to Leeds today so yes I would still go - main roads will be fine.

TowerRingInferno Sun 18-Mar-18 08:17:12

NOt a chance.

Slartybartfast Sun 18-Mar-18 08:18:05

I bet your parents would not want you to risk it

MrsMoastyToasty Sun 18-Mar-18 08:18:56

For lunch? No!
I'm between Bristol and Bath , and I'm not going anywhere.

KERALA1 Sun 18-Mar-18 08:19:25

Op we very near Briz - snow is deep for England and still snowing. Grr also plans to see parents for lunch looks like won't happen...will this winter never end it's like bloody narnia

BeyondThePage Sun 18-Mar-18 08:19:59

If adults only - then I would, with 5 year old kids - no. We spent a night on the motorway with 2 DDs in the car during the floods in 2007- if it had been just me and DH we would have felt much less anxiety than having the kids with us.

BrieAndChilli Sun 18-Mar-18 08:20:24

I’m in chepstow need to go pick up DD from cub camp on Bristol. How bad is it over there? It’s still snowing here so freaking out a bit about having to drive in it! Also DH and DS2 are at beaver camp about an hour away and looks like they are snowed in with no gas (so no heating, hot water or cookers!!!!!)

MummaGiles Sun 18-Mar-18 08:21:49

I don’t think I would. There’s supposed to be around 10cm more of snow around Bristol throughout today. Getting back may be problematic.

knottybeams Sun 18-Mar-18 08:24:21

On a similar note I'm meant to be driving home to Bristol today from Shropshire. There's a scant inch of snow this end, what's it like down there?

BrownTurkey Sun 18-Mar-18 08:27:18

No, amber warning is possible risk to life and the more traffic on the roads, the more incidents and delays for essential travel (people getting to hospital in emergencies or to work).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: