Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DD (9) acting v strange. Should I get her checked?

(136 Posts)
Slimefactory Sat 17-Mar-18 22:06:39

Over dinner my 9 year old suddenly went very pale and quiet. I asked if she was feeling OK and she said her head hurt so I told her to go and lie down.

After dinner she said her head was a bit better but everything looked greyish and far away. I put her to bed.

She slept for an hour and has now come into my room and said she feels “odd” and “vague” and like all her thoughts are “hard to catch”. She doesn’t want to go back to bed because it scares her how “far away the world feels”. She no longer has a headache but she says there is a strange feeling in her head. No fever but she is very pale.

I called NHS Direct (or whatever it’s called now) and they said as no fever just keep an eye on her. But I feel very uneasy. She’s completely not herself and she’s obviously scared and the way she describes it seems really strange.

Should I take her to an out of hours centre or is that just crazy when she is no longer in pain and has no fever?

Cocolepew Sat 17-Mar-18 22:08:29

Yes I would.

Lemontwist Sat 17-Mar-18 22:08:56

I would take her. It is hopefully nothing but trust your gut feeling on this one, you obviously feel something isn't right.
Hope all goes ok.

alwaysthepessimist Sat 17-Mar-18 22:08:59

Yes

MikeWyzowski Sat 17-Mar-18 22:09:16

Would it be migraine? I had my first at about that age and often feel a bit vague and shook afterwards. Fwiw if i was very worried in your shoes I would go to a&e.

GertrudeCB Sat 17-Mar-18 22:09:59

Migraine?

PoliticalBiscuit Sat 17-Mar-18 22:10:29

I would, but no fever is a good sign.

MargoChanning Sat 17-Mar-18 22:10:30

I would if I were in your shoes. Better to be safe than sorry. I hope your DD will be ok.

0hCrepe Sat 17-Mar-18 22:10:57

My ds described a similar thing when he had flu though he had had a fever too obviously.

Keel Sat 17-Mar-18 22:11:39

My daughter suffers from migraines and described similar things. If you're worried I would get her checked out though.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 17-Mar-18 22:12:06

This sounds like Alice in Wonderland syndrome which can be a kind of migraine. DS had a spate of this last year and asking on here directed me towards this. It just stopped happening eventually.

Used to freak us all out though!

Slimefactory Sat 17-Mar-18 22:13:24

I wondered about migraine but thought she is a bit young. If it is a migraine is there anything that can make it pass?

Ickyockycocky Sat 17-Mar-18 22:15:38

I would take her to A & E.

GertrudeCB Sat 17-Mar-18 22:16:02

I was first diagnosed with migraine when I was 10, it can happen. Iirc I needed medication ( I remember my brother telling me that DM had to travel miles and miles to get the prescription filled because it was a Sunday.

Ickyockycocky Sat 17-Mar-18 22:16:12

They would be only too happy to check out a child of this age.

CormoranStrike Sat 17-Mar-18 22:17:17

I would take her, trust your gut.

PetalMettle Sat 17-Mar-18 22:18:25

Get her checked out. I can sometimes be a bit like this before I have seizures, or sometimes without ending up having a seizure.

NaiceToMeetYou Sat 17-Mar-18 22:19:38

I also thought AIW syndrome. I'd get her checked though op.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Sat 17-Mar-18 22:21:37

I had a hemaplegic (sp) migraine and I couldn’t speak properly or remember certai words. My head felt very confused and I would go to say one word and another completely random one would come out.

I would get her checked out as she.

quantiestillecanisinfenestra Sat 17-Mar-18 22:21:48

Has she banged her head at all? If so I'd go to A&E straight away. Otherwise maybe 111 to put your mind at rest?

CFSKate Sat 17-Mar-18 22:21:57

Please take her to A&E.

Slimefactory Sat 17-Mar-18 22:22:01

I tried putting the TV on to distract her while I wrote this thread but now she’s asked for it to go off as it hurts her eyes. I think I have to get her checked. I might go straight to paediatric A&E as I know where it is and I actually have never been to an out of hours GP so don’t know where to go.

BuffaloCustardbath Sat 17-Mar-18 22:22:56

Yes I'd definitely get her checked, and they'll be more than happy to check her over for you, hopefully it'll be reassuring.

stressedoutfred Sat 17-Mar-18 22:24:33

If she was mine I'd get her checked

Hope everything is ok thanks

FaithEverPresent Sat 17-Mar-18 22:24:35

Our OOH GP service will only see you if you’ve been referred by 111. Honestly if you’ve got a paeds A&E close by I would take her. You won’t sleep for worrying if you don’t get her checked out. I did wonder about migraine too but if she has a headache and is photophobic, I’d get her checked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: