Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Landlord/ inspection help please (pics)

(179 Posts)
Bigbrolly Sat 17-Mar-18 15:00:58

Can I just have general opinions on this inspection please. Deposit paid was 2500. There has been some damage to the house which is down to my family. There is damp that was here when we moved in. We had humidifiers on but it kept coming back. And they are saying that will cost more than the deposit to get it fixed. Also on the banister paint has come of where the baby gate has rubbed off the paint. And they said it's an original banister and it will cost hundreds to replace. How do I prove the damp was not down to me. Their handy man even came round and saw it when I first moved in. But it's all pointing fingers at me. Some things are down to me but the cost seems a bit much. Any thoughts. Thanks.

So my fault:1 lock on window broken.
2 Dirty stairs.
3 Paint of banister.
4 About 6 light dents in wall caused by child.
5 Dent in wall caused by hook on back of door hitting the wall.

Not my fault: damp on wall here when we moved in. How do I prove it?

Regarding banister why they saying it's going to cost hundreds for paint that came of banister?

tamaraboomdeay Sat 17-Mar-18 15:04:15

They're trying it on.

How long have you lived there?

Was your deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme?

nomorespaghetti Sat 17-Mar-18 15:05:03

Is your deposit registered under the tenancy deposit scheme? If you don't agree with deductions you can raise it through the tds and it will be decided fairly. I can't remember the details, as it was ages ago, but we did this with a tyrant landlord who wanted loads of money off us for all sorts of nonsense. In the end we didn't have to pay any of our deposit! It was all straight forward, have a look online.

tamaraboomdeay Sat 17-Mar-18 15:06:30

Unless they have proof there was no damp they can't claim it is your fault.

My insane ex-landlady tried to claim our whole deposit. She wanted us to pay for deep cleaning everything, new this that and the other. She was awarded zilch by the tenancy deposit scheme. I think I eventually gave her £1.50 to buy a cheap new loo brush, as we'd long since thrown it away. grin

RavenLG Sat 17-Mar-18 15:08:02

Did you do an inventory when you first moved in and made a note of the damp?

Bigbrolly Sat 17-Mar-18 15:08:15

It's in rent deposit. But I still don't know how I proove damp is Not down to me. It was all painted so did not notice at first.

Will they have to prove the banister needs replacing and not just painting?

I'm no good as standing up for myself.

lemonsandlimes123 Sat 17-Mar-18 15:09:59

If the damp was there already then that will be on the check in report. However having a load of stuff pushed up against the wall is not going to have helped matters.

That carpet is filthy, have you ever cleaned it?

The damage to the bannister is quite significant, you can ask them to get a quote for repairing it.

TBH it looks like you have taken no care over your living space/home at all based on the pictures you have posted.

Spam88 Sat 17-Mar-18 15:10:20

The onus is on them to prove you're responsible, not the other way round.

SmashedMug Sat 17-Mar-18 15:10:23

Hopefully you mean you used a DEhumidifier otherwise the damp really will have been your fault shock

Snowyhere2018 Sat 17-Mar-18 15:10:30

Did you have a itinerary done when you moved in? If so, it should have recorded what was there as well as the condition.

RicStar Sat 17-Mar-18 15:11:22

Op have you actually got a break down of deposit deductions? You need this as a starting point.

Spam88 Sat 17-Mar-18 15:11:26

Although it looks like the bannister is actually damaged rather than the paint just being chipped.

EatTheChocolateTeapot Sat 17-Mar-18 15:13:23

For the paint of the banister, I have had good luck using one of the paint samples from B&Q, you just need to match the colour and then apply a few layers of paint. Cost us just a few quids.

Bigbrolly Sat 17-Mar-18 15:15:11

The banister is not damaged it is just paint.

Yes dehumidifier sorry.

viques Sat 17-Mar-18 15:15:40

TBH? If the stair carpet is indicative of the state of the rest of the house then I think you are in for a caning. It is grim.

Newscoliosismum Sat 17-Mar-18 15:16:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tamaraboomdeay Sat 17-Mar-18 15:16:38

A lot of this depends on how long you've been there as reasonable wear and tear is taken into account. So chopped paint after 10 years = fine, after 1 year they might be reasonable to ask for you to pay.

I think repainting the stairs should not take hundreds. The stair carpet looks cheap and nasty so even if needed replacing it wouldn't cost a lot.

How much is your deposit and how long have you lived there?

By the way, the tenancy deposit schemes are totally impartial, not on the side of the landlord at all. They have to prove you owe them, you don't have to prove you don't owe them. Otherwise crooked landlords could and would claim their taps were gold plated and you'd destroyed their Meissen vase!

tamaraboomdeay Sat 17-Mar-18 15:17:01

chopped point not chopped paint!

tamaraboomdeay Sat 17-Mar-18 15:17:26

CHIPPED!!!

Newscoliosismum Sat 17-Mar-18 15:17:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SmashedMug Sat 17-Mar-18 15:17:34

Agreed viques. And the first pic with the pipes of junk against the wall, that could easily cause damp against an external wall.

ConsistentInsomniac Sat 17-Mar-18 15:17:40

As the above posters have said, fight it through the deposit protection people. We had a nightmare with our ex-landlords a few years ago who were determined to withhold our deposit for various different (petty and laughable) reasons. We were awarded our entire deposit back. I resisted the temptation to send a commiserations card.

SmashedMug Sat 17-Mar-18 15:17:42

Piles*

OohMavis Sat 17-Mar-18 15:19:11

Clean the carpet.
Sand the area on the banister smooth, repaint.
What sort of wall? Drywall? Easy fix, youtube it.
Replace the window lock, doesn't cost too much.

That damp is DAMP damp, not 'I haven't opened the window' damp. You can't cause that damp unless you're really determined to. That's been there a while. Did they check for leaks?

They don't need to replace that banister. What a load of bollocks.

Banterlope Sat 17-Mar-18 15:19:23

The last landlord I had was a complete loon. Took pictures of a cobweb in a conservatory and a ring from a teacup (!) on a mantlepiece as evidence that we had 'trashed the place'. Also accused us of ruining the stair carpet because we had 'used the stairs too much'. We were there for nine months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: