Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

To be stunned by the difference colour makes

(17 Posts)
Toooldtobearsed Sat 17-Mar-18 14:55:44

Has anyone seen this?

www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/7bc68edd-5fb6-4bab-8be3-77089227b8af

I feel so shallow, but I am amazed at how much more 'real' these photographs are when in colour.

So touching.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sat 17-Mar-18 14:58:25

My husband colourises old photographs and did a batch of old photos from ww1 and they were incredible the people in them looked so alive

WhenEnoughIsEnough Sat 17-Mar-18 14:58:42

Oh my goodness her work is amazing. I know what you mean by the colour photographs make it seem so much more real.

nancy75 Sat 17-Mar-18 15:01:02

We are so used to seeing the black & white pictures, seeing them in colour really makes you look and appreciate that this is not just an old war photo,it’s a real person.

AlonsoTigerHeart Sat 17-Mar-18 15:02:54

It makes the photos seem less like history. Doesn't she look youngsad

Toooldtobearsed Sat 17-Mar-18 15:04:13

Yes, that is it - it stops being an old photo and becomes a real person.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot what a brilliant hobby to have, must be so fulfilling.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sat 17-Mar-18 15:07:40

We don't see him much but he enjoys it!

ALittleAubergine Sat 17-Mar-18 17:44:58

It removes the time and distance. This could have been a girl from my dc school rather than just a historic victim.

BrutusMcDogface Sat 17-Mar-18 18:04:29

Oh how heartbreaking. Yes I agree with Aubergine; it makes her seem more 'real', in a way. sadflowers

Thinkingofausername1 Sat 17-Mar-18 20:52:08

So sad. sad

FoodGloriousFud Sat 17-Mar-18 21:16:44

I found those incredibly moving. She's done a beautiful job.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Sun 18-Mar-18 02:17:32

That picture is utterly heartbreaking, and yes somehow she now becomes so much more real than a grainy black and white picture, like a pp said it takes the time away it could be a current image.

blueskypink Sun 18-Mar-18 02:45:02

I don't see it myself I'm afraid. The colouring might make it look more recent but that doesn't make it any more real or powerful to me.

Pemba Sun 18-Mar-18 03:16:50

Yes, it looks like it could have been taken yesterday. Heartbreaking.

blueskypink Sun 18-Mar-18 07:41:48

But why is it more heartbreaking because it makes you think it could have been yesterday? Genuinely curious.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 18-Mar-18 08:08:18

I think people can identify with it more. Like a pp said, we are quite far removed from black and white pics; obviously that doesn't detract from the horror depicted, but the colour makes them seem more....I really can't think of the word! Can relate more? More relevant? (Excuse me; it's early!grin)

Toooldtobearsed Sun 18-Mar-18 10:24:57

blueskypink you are right, it should not make any difference, and yet, for me, it did - hence the feeling shallow comment.
Thinking about it, perhaps it is just the individuality of it. Whenever we see images of the holocaust, it tends to be numerous images. To take just one person and give a wee bit of personal history is perhaps all it needed - not the colour.
I dont know to be honest, but I do find this colour image more impactful (if that is a word)!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: