Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cleaner asked for loan - should I sack her?

(302 Posts)
reallifegetsintheway Sat 17-Mar-18 13:01:37

My cleaner doesn't speak good English - she has a 'boss' who speaks better English who arranged her to do our cleaning. She was cleaning this week and passed her phone to a relative- who asked for a loan of £100 on her behalf. I said no. Do I sack her because I feel uncomfortable and an element of trust has gone? She told me not to tell 'boss' cleaner. But I would need to contact 'boss' cleaner to sack her. She asked this the day before my dad's funeral and she knew this was happening.

EssentialHummus Sat 17-Mar-18 13:04:07

I’d let her know (via google translate if need be) that you are not in a position to offer her loans, and that she isn’t to ask again. I imagine she’s really struggling, it sounds a desperate thing to do (not that that obliged you to lend/give).

Dontletthebastardsgrindyoudown Sat 17-Mar-18 13:04:34

I'm not sure. I can understand it made you feel uncomfortable. But there's something so sad about it. Do you think she's safe from her boss? Are you sure it's a legitimate agreement?

DullAndOld Sat 17-Mar-18 13:05:31

the thing is, when you employ cleaners who don't speak the language, you are dealing with poor and desperate people, who have nothing.
If you sacked her, she would have even less.
Sounds like she was put on the spot maybe by a bullying and older relative.

SoleBizzz Sat 17-Mar-18 13:05:49

I would not deal with that company again. Frightening. Sack her.

thornyhousewife Sat 17-Mar-18 13:05:56

Sorry you've lost you dad OP. Hope you're OK.

Re your cleaner, I imagine she's having a very tough time. She's broken a rule - can you be compassionate in your response?

SmashedMug Sat 17-Mar-18 13:07:07

I would let her go. Not because she asked for money but if she needs money that much, I wouldn't be able to trust that my belongings were safe from being desperately taken and I wouldn't want to be on edge all the time.

x2boys Sat 17-Mar-18 13:07:44

Can you not just use the company again? Just say you can't afford a cleaner right now Or whatever.

Dontletthebastardsgrindyoudown Sat 17-Mar-18 13:09:28

I'm in no way suggesting you loan her the money. And you definitely should not have been put in that position. And if you do finish the contract I would just say it wasn't working for you anymore. thanks flowers for you op at this sad time of losing your dad.

AlbertaSimmons Sat 17-Mar-18 13:10:26

Yes, it’s a massive over step of boundaries. Something like that would make me very uncomfortable indeed.

reallifegetsintheway Sat 17-Mar-18 13:11:23

It was her teenage daughter who asked for the money - she speaks good English. Can understand the compassion idea but also smashedmug's idea about having an eye on our stuff.

thorny- thanks I'm doing ok after a couple of hard months.

donajimena Sat 17-Mar-18 13:12:15

smashed when I was a cleaner I was desperately poor. I'd hate to have thought my employer might have felt like you.
Being broke doesn't make you a thief.

LookImAHooman Sat 17-Mar-18 13:16:33

Hate to say it but I’m with smashed. Nobody is saying the cleaner would definitely steal but just because one person wouldn’t doesn’t mean another would do the same. It would be at the back of my mind all the time and frankly I wouldn’t want to put up with myself feeling like that. I am sorry for the cleaner but would be hugely uncomfortable. Did the daughter say what it was for? Is the company definitely legit?

real I’m sorry for your loss flowers

SmashedMug Sat 17-Mar-18 13:16:41

donajimena, there's a difference between being desperately poor (been there too) and between crossing the line and asking your employer for money. If she crossed that line, she might be desperate enough to cross other lines.

pinkbraces Sat 17-Mar-18 13:17:32

you are seriously employing someone who doesnt speak the language and the "boss" man is in charge - does that not worry you more than her asking for a loan. I am sorry for your loss but you really need to get some compassion.

This human being is unable to talk to you, how do you know she isnt being mistreated, or that the "boss" man doesnt take the majority of her wages? How is she paid, do you pay her at least minimum wage?

I am astounded your first thought is to sack her.

DullAndOld Sat 17-Mar-18 13:19:32

Interesting that you put 'boss' in inverted commas thought. Is he a boss or isn't he?
How do you know you are not 'employing' a slave?

Alexkate2468 Sat 17-Mar-18 13:21:10

Smashed - that's a horribly judgemental thing to think about poor people. Awful.
She's working and trying to make money for herself - give her a break.

OP I wouldn't sack her but I would try to find a way to communicate to her that it isn't appropriate to ask. This also rings alarm bells for me as to her safety/situation at home. Slavery is rife.

goingtotown Sat 17-Mar-18 13:21:20

It may of been her “ boss” on the phone. You done the right thing, this could be a scam. Avoid.

reallifegetsintheway Sat 17-Mar-18 13:22:12

No - 'boss' is female. Just trying to give background info. Fellow East European cleaner who can speak better English.

reallifegetsintheway Sat 17-Mar-18 13:23:59

It wasn't the boss on phone - definitely a younger voice without Eastern European accent IYSWIM.

pinkbraces Sat 17-Mar-18 13:26:47

How much is she paid?
Did you see her passport, is she legally allowed to work in this Country?

Or, as I strongly suspect she is cheap labour for you with no questions asked.

reallifegetsintheway Sat 17-Mar-18 13:27:30

I pay money direct into the cleaner's bank account. I don't think its slavery! She might have to give other one a %- I don't know. It made me feel uneasy- not necessarily to sack her but others have said to sack her. Opinions are torn on here too.

LadyFlumpalot Sat 17-Mar-18 13:27:39

This sounds like a massive red flag for human trafficking to me. A worker who does not speak English, her job was arranged by a "boss" and she is asking for money on the sly and asking you not to tell her "boss".

How do you pay her? Does she have a bank account or do you pay cash? Is she free to travel to you under her own steam or is she dropped off and collected? Did you see ID and have proof she is able to work here when she started?

I used to work in the offices of a company who employed a lot of Bulgarians and Poles. Human trafficking was something we all got extensive training on and this is ringing massive bells for me.

AnnieAnoniMouse Sat 17-Mar-18 13:27:44

I wouldn’t have them back & I’d change the locks.

There’s a huge difference between your privately employed cleaner you’ve built up a relationship with asking for a loan and a woman working for a cleaning company asking her DD to ask a client of the company her Mum works for, for a loan.

Tell the owner of the business you no longer require a cleaner.

ChodeofChodeHall Sat 17-Mar-18 13:28:59

God, that poor woman, she sounds absolutely desperate.

Cleaning agencies generally pay their staff very badly and keep a large percentage of the fees and they get away with it because the people who work for them often have little other choice due to their poor English.

In this situation, I would stop using the company and hire an independent cleaner who sets their own rates.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: