Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Debating Friends (tv show)

(72 Posts)
LeslieKnopefan Fri 16-Mar-18 22:46:39

So I’m sure the whole Ross / Rachel thing has been done lots but as I’m rewatching friends on Netflix and wondered if anyone wanted to join me in chatting about stuff in the show?

So to start, is it me or is Pete a douche to give Monica a tip for $20,000 when he is actually rich?

WhoWants2Know Sat 17-Mar-18 20:19:51

He kind of is a douche because he did it to make himself look cool. If he had done an anonymously, it would have been an amazing gesture and made me root for him.

allthegoodnameshadgone Sat 17-Mar-18 20:27:21

I have a terrible memory I can't remember who Pete is

DearMrDilkington Sat 17-Mar-18 20:29:57

Pete was awful. I liked Richard the best, Monica should have picked him over Chandler.

goforkyourself Sat 17-Mar-18 20:31:19

Didn't she reject him several times? First cos of the douchebag tip, second because she didn't fancy him and third because of the ultimate fighting thing?

SharronNeedles Sat 17-Mar-18 20:31:46

I'm rewatching this too!

I absolutely detest Ross. Nothing about him is good. He's a bad partner, a bad father, a bad friend ...

goforkyourself Sat 17-Mar-18 20:36:57

I loved all the early Friends boyfriends. Fun Bobby, Paolo and Monica's shrink boyfriend.... I HATE THAT GUY!!

LillyputLane Sat 17-Mar-18 21:42:11

I liked Richard the best, Monica should have picked him over Chandler.

NOOOOOO go wash your mouth out angrywink

LillyputLane Sat 17-Mar-18 21:43:17

I'm with @SharronNeedles though, Rachel should've stayed on the plane

BuzzKillington Sat 17-Mar-18 21:45:24

Who was Pete? The ugly guy that took up wrestling?

I have tried rewatching it with the teenagers, thinking they'd like it.

They found it very unfunny and dated and lasted about 2 episodes.

Have to agree - it is of its time.

DaisyChainsForever Sat 17-Mar-18 21:46:01

I always thought Joey and Phoebe made a better couple than Monica and Chandler.

Hotdoggity Sat 17-Mar-18 21:49:50

Ross is awful. Told her boyfriends to back off, told her what to wear, regularly let’s her know she’s not as clever as he is, controlling - so controlling! Nutcase.

ElizabethLemon Sat 17-Mar-18 21:57:13

Also been rewatching Friends. Monica and Ross obviously have quite severe mental health problems which is unsurprising when you look at their parents. Especially poor Monica, she would definitely be on the stately home threads.

goforkyourself Sat 17-Mar-18 22:00:41

Ross is awful but very funny, he had so many great scenes. Leather pants and talc grin And 'We were on a break!' is on a par with 'Don't mention the war'

cakesonatrain Sat 17-Mar-18 22:11:58

Rachel should have stuck with Joey

NapQueen Sat 17-Mar-18 22:16:28

Almost finished rewatching. I do still enjoy it, however its great to see how far weve come in terms of acceptance (gay, fat, geeks, male nannies etc).

Ross' reaction to Sandy is what finally spun it for me with what I think of him.

I think overall, and with 20 years of hindsight, that Rachel was the best character. She goes a bit potty round the whole Ross/Emily era, but overall is funny, caring, kind and experiences a proper stoey arc, which was only ruined by her getting off the plane.

DownstairsMixUp Sat 17-Mar-18 22:22:35

Rachel should of gone to Paris!!!!

hugoagogo Sat 17-Mar-18 22:24:46

I loved Pete and his 'circle of terror' he certainly wasn't ugly hmm

SharronNeedles Sun 18-Mar-18 06:46:57

Was anyone else team Janice?

SuperBeagle Sun 18-Mar-18 06:50:33

Sharron I absolutely love Janice. Most underrated character.

Does anyone else despise Emily as much as I do?

WhoWants2Know Sun 18-Mar-18 06:55:32

Janice may have been the best character of all.

cloudchasing Sun 18-Mar-18 06:57:47

God I hated Emily. Awful character.

Ross and Monica are my favourites, although they're both pretty horrible. I love them all in their own way.

Janice is one of the best in it, I love her. I always thought Phoebe should have married David, the Scientist Guy, I'm not fond of Mike.

Sharpcattlegridheavyhat Sun 18-Mar-18 07:04:41

Did you hear that Emily didn’t get on with the cast in real life- and that Matthew Perry was a bit scathing about her afterwards? She was going to be a much more long term character but got pregnant and decided to leave. They try to hide her bump in a lot of scenes. Still a dickhead character though.

EdmundCleverClogs Sun 18-Mar-18 07:34:06

The ugly guy that took up wrestling

That’s Jon Favreau you’re talking about shock. He’s not ugly in any way, he’s actually quite brilliant (and not bad looking either).

I’m surprised in these discussions that Ross’ behaviour is always mentioned over Joey’s. They’re both awful in their own ways, but Joey was a pig who only used women for sex. He never intended to stop, by now he’d be a creepy middle aged man still chasing young women, yuck.

upsiedayz Sun 18-Mar-18 07:37:54

Phoebe should have gone to Minsk with David. He was hot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: