Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much do you hear about your DH’s day at work?

(69 Posts)
GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 16-Mar-18 22:27:16

I’ve realised I know bugger all! I mean I know the big stuff and stories here and there but generally dh speaks very little about work, just a vague ‘yeah, busy’ when I ask.

He isn’t being off with me at all, I just don’t think he likes to bring work home with him. He’s a police officer if that makes a difference.

MissYeti Fri 16-Mar-18 22:30:00

My DP is exactly the same, unless I ask very specific questions all I get is 'yeah it was alright' or 'was busy'. He's exactly the same about any topic of conversation though, sometimes its like drawing blood from a stone 😂

PaleBlueWatch Fri 16-Mar-18 22:31:05

He has a colleague who particularly irritates him, I hear lots about her grin

Do you have kids? Maybe he doesn't want them to overhear.

ScreamingValenta Fri 16-Mar-18 22:31:21

We are the other way round. DH works P/T and I work full time. He moans about his job endlessly. I try not to talk about mine at all once I'm at home, as I just want to put it all from my mind until the next day. I often use the vague 'busy' formula when he asks me how my day was. My job is quite stressful, but nowhere in the league of the stress I imagine a police officer must endure, so I would guess he just wants to forget about it and relax when he's off duty.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 16-Mar-18 22:44:07

We do have children and older ones at that so very able to understand what we are talking about so that’s a valid point.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 16-Mar-18 22:49:36

When DH was working, I used to get so bored of hearing about the ins and outs of his day, but then I'm probably just as dull moaning about my day.

Now he's had to stop working, our conversations are so varied and I know loads more about him because he doesn't have all the work stuff to get out of his system. It's strange.

penguinsandpandas Fri 16-Mar-18 22:51:27

Most of the time not too much then I will get 2 hours in one go.

Justgivemesomepeace Fri 16-Mar-18 22:52:48

Too much and I don't understand a bloody word of it.

Ohyesiam Fri 16-Mar-18 22:54:20

I seem to hear a lot about the chocolate teapots he has in his department

DryHeave Fri 16-Mar-18 22:55:44

Same as you OP. Usually “busy”, doesn’t like/isn’t apropriate to talk about it (he’s a doctor).

theeyeofthestormchaser Fri 16-Mar-18 22:57:31

Far too much detail! But maybe if your h is a policeman, he doesn't want the dc to hear unsuitable details?

Thecomfortador Fri 16-Mar-18 22:58:11

I get a fair rundown of who said what if there was anything of note to report. But then I have met most of his colleagues and can put characters to names. As for his actual work, that's a 24/7 at home thing that I generally get some technical pointers that mean nowt to me and we talk about bits I have some vague experience of (academic side).

I don't tend to talk about my actual work due to confidentiality but also I generally want to leave it at the door. (Social care type service). I do report if colleagues have said or done anything funny / ridiculous / annoying.

Figmentofimagination Fri 16-Mar-18 23:01:28

DH tells me a lot, but he's a courier driver and I'm a sahm so we call to chat a few times a day. He tells me how he's getting on with his van run, and what the gossip is.

BackforGood Fri 16-Mar-18 23:03:00

Not a lot. I don't go through the detail of my day with him either. Not very interesting for either of us I'd have thought.
Also, when you are dealing with other people all day log (as in examples above - Police Officer and Doctor) there is the issue of confidentiality. You can't start talking to other folk about what you are dealing with.

mintbiscuit Fri 16-Mar-18 23:05:26

DH and I work in same industry (not same company) so quite a bit of talking shop. And we both like a gossip too!

midsummabreak Fri 16-Mar-18 23:05:49

We both try not to bring work home, unless something we. could do with thinking through to gain more perspective. So we are always prepared to chat if need to get something off our chest.!! Usually, we avoid talking much about our work like its the plague, otherwise you feel like you have not escaped the workplace! We cherish our days off.

Dementedswan Fri 16-Mar-18 23:06:05

Too much. I wish he'd stop talking at me as once dc are in bed I want silence.

user1493413286 Fri 16-Mar-18 23:07:40

I hear quite a bit about his work but I work in a job where when I come home i don’t like to bring it home or talk about it around DCs. It’s a coping mechanism to handle it for me

CalliopeMcPherson Fri 16-Mar-18 23:09:02

Me: how was work
DP: shit as usual
Me: oh dear... so what shall we have for dinner?

MrsWildermac Fri 16-Mar-18 23:10:44

Similar here OP and DH is in a similar line of work. I think it’s partly that he doesn’t want DD’s little ears wagging in as she would be quite disturbed by some of it and also the contrast between work and home is what keeps him sane so he leaves it at work.

jemimafuddleduck Fri 16-Mar-18 23:23:32

My DH is also a Police officer. I always ask how his day was and the reply is always "Shit. Don't want to talk about it". Unless something has happened out of the norm, eg office politics, that's all he says. Every night!
I'm in the job too, so I completely understand. It's just the job!

Atthebottomofthesea Fri 16-Mar-18 23:26:13

Dh is the sahp, I don't say much, I am a health professional so most of it is confidential anyway and I end up keeping it very vague.

PickAChew Fri 16-Mar-18 23:26:55

Plenty of rants. His line manager was let go from a previous company they both worked for and hasn't improved his work practices.

BradleyPooper Fri 16-Mar-18 23:36:56

Dh calls me on his way home from work, always has done. This helps get the frustration of the day ouyr before he walks in the door but we do discuss issues etc. We both have very busy full time but different jobs that we really enjoy (oil marketing vs non profit management) and appreciate a different perspective on things that happen at work.

JoJoSM2 Sat 17-Mar-18 00:06:20

At some point I tried to get DH to 'share' and chat with me. Ended up with him listing every meeting in the day (times, attendees etc) followed by details of coffees and lunch and DH pleased with himself for sharing and communicating grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: