Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

To feel a bit sorry for topshop

(590 Posts)
lljr82 Fri 16-Mar-18 10:26:13

I wouldn't have ever thought a hoddie was 96 on it would be mocking a t tragedy. It could mean millions of things especially as they sell one with 95. It's probably just a year that resonates with a demographic for being a bit retro.

MauriceTheSpaceCowboy Fri 16-Mar-18 10:34:31

It’s red, and features the words karma and what goes around comes around. To me yes it absolutely looks like a Hillsborough reference. I’d expect the buyers/designers in a British company to have a bit more awareness.

Sarsparella Fri 16-Mar-18 10:37:11

It shows a real lack of cultural awareness & I’d have expected someone along the line in Top Shop to have noticed that, it’s really odd they didn’t

Clayhead Fri 16-Mar-18 10:45:20

It's shocking. It's been a decades long legal fight, no one has the excuse not to know about it.

lljr82 Fri 16-Mar-18 10:48:19

Sorry didn't realise the red was significant. Still I can see how it would slip past people, it would me. It is however ridiculous to think malice was ment with it.

HeartCurrent Fri 16-Mar-18 10:51:51

No sympathy here. A karma quote next to the number 96 from a British high street store is very disrespectful.

1310j Fri 16-Mar-18 10:52:22

I wouldn't have associated this shirt with that event to be honest. Now that it has been pointed out I can see where people are coming from though.

I'd say the main problem would arise from idiots who choose to buy it and wear it for the wrong reasons, they should remove it from sale.

Sirzy Fri 16-Mar-18 10:55:01

Nope. Someone working for them has fucked up majorly and it should have been picked up well before being marketed

HolyShet Fri 16-Mar-18 10:57:38

I don't think it "slipped past" anyone. The internet is full of images of red shirts with 96 as part of the justice campaign (try a quick image google) They were trying to use this for commercial gain.

gillybeanz Fri 16-Mar-18 10:59:00

I wouldn't have known what it referred to tbh.
Maybe it went completely over their heads, or some designer was hoping to get away with it.

HolyShet Fri 16-Mar-18 10:59:08

96shirts

1310j Fri 16-Mar-18 11:00:10

Is it Holy? I think I am generally quite aware of the world around me and I have never seen one!

AnyFucker Fri 16-Mar-18 11:01:10

"Sorry" ? confused

lljr82 Fri 16-Mar-18 11:01:19

But the internet is full of things that many people are unaware of. I can't remember ever seeing a red 96 top ever, maybe in a some areas this issue is more known.

No way would they do this on purpose, what do they have to gain?

Sirzy Fri 16-Mar-18 11:05:34

They may not have done it on purpose but that doesn’t change the fact it is a major fuck up. The colour, number and wording should have rung alarm bells for someone to put a stop to it before it went on sale

purplelass Fri 16-Mar-18 11:05:50

So it's red + white, has no. 96 on it and has a reference about karma on it and you didn't associate it with Hillsborough?

What planet are you on??

It's hugely disrespectful at the least and I seriously hope that Top Shop don't benefit from any of the press which this was obviously created to generate... angry

BashfulShark Fri 16-Mar-18 11:05:57

I originally though that the reference was to Euro 96 when England were knocked out of the European football after becoming increasingly "cocky".

I can see how it can be related to the Hillsborough tragedy and cause deep offence though.

HolyShet Fri 16-Mar-18 11:06:03

to purposefully link it to the campaign perhaps? maybe not
I don't think anyone designing menswear in the UK would be oblivious to the reference

wildduckhunt Fri 16-Mar-18 11:08:30

For people who were born in 96, not football fans, and not in Liverpool, I can well see it not being an issue. Let's not forget the age of Topshop's demographic - they'll be born in the mid-late 90s/early 00s.

I was born the year of Hillsborough, come from a football supporting/WC family and pay attention to the news (and have a perhaps unusual fondness of researching topics to death once they pique my interest). So I know all about it. Someone my age who doesn't follow the news, isn't from a "footbally" background may well not know about it. Younger people - definitely not. I doubt my children would have reason to ever know about it unless I tell them about it.

BashfulShark Fri 16-Mar-18 11:08:44

I also, having now just google the top, am wondering which side it's more insulting to. Those that covered up the investigation - the "what goes around comes around" sentiment seems more apt to their lives, or those that have lost loved ones or survived the tragedy.

Either way a bloody stupid marketing ploy, although many do make money out of tragedy (thinking of Manchester and the Bee merchandise and tattoos).

HarrietKettle Fri 16-Mar-18 11:08:58

I don't get why you feel sorry for them?

lljr82 Fri 16-Mar-18 11:09:07

No I wouldn't have ever associated it with HB, I can see why some can though but can also see it's just one of hundreds of designs and it's not like every design goes through lots of checks, just a few people could have approved it.

nancy75 Fri 16-Mar-18 11:09:56

I though it was to do with the 5 nations Rugby which England won?

The rose on it is usually associated with Rugby not football

SillyMoomin Fri 16-Mar-18 11:09:57

well...

I've just googled the topshop shirt. And even I, as a complete non-football-loving-can't-stand-the-sport-passerby, thought, "oh, that looks like an (admittedly to my eyes) england football top"

You put on the red and the 96 on the back, and yes, it is distasteful.

Someone higher up in the Topshop chain should have either spotted it, or, if it was deliberate, pulled it and had more sense

lljr82 Fri 16-Mar-18 11:10:16

Because some people might have lost their jobs and had their careers ruined for not knowing a cultural reference that I had no idea about either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: