Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Shoes off or on at home? What about guests?

(213 Posts)
princesspxx Fri 16-Mar-18 10:01:37

Just wanted to hear peoples opinions! In a bit of a neat freak and take pride in my home, I try my best to have it nice and clean - especially when I know guests are coming!

When I go to someone else’s house I always ask if they would like me to take my shoes off, or make sure I wipe my feet on the doormat - surely that’s just good manners?

At home I take my shoes off at the door and put slippers on. So it really bugs me when some people come round, don’t wipe their feet, walk over the rug (which is now covered in mud I discovered this morning!) would it be rude for me to ask people to take their shoes off when they come ? Or am I over reacting?

It just annoys me so much when I put real effort into my home and people do things like that and don’t even apologise or acknowledge it!!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 16-Mar-18 10:08:02

I love this threads grin Get your hard hat on OP, it will get nasty!

Shoes off here too, and guests as well (though in my circle it's something we all do anyway). Wearing shoes inside is just bizarre and wrong - at the most we where socks.

(And before someone asks about working inside, yes, shoes off in an office environment too)...

SneakyGremlins Fri 16-Mar-18 10:09:06

Shoes on here! grin

TegKernow Fri 16-Mar-18 10:09:38

I’m the same. We don’t wear shoes in the house and I always offer to remove my shoes in other people’s houses.

I can’t, for the life of me, understand why anyone would walk around their house in outside shoes. Bleugh.

Ubercornsdiscoball Fri 16-Mar-18 10:09:55

We have no rules. Generally take our own shoes off as it is more comfortable but don’t expect guests to at all.

princesspxx Fri 16-Mar-18 10:10:06

I know! Don’t know how people can sit around at home with shoes on, it’s the first thing I do put my slippers on. Makes me feel a bit sick thinking of all the germs on shoes being tred through my house haha!

clarrylove Fri 16-Mar-18 10:11:08

Shoes off here. I don't want mud, grass and dog poo traipsed through my house.

LivLemler Fri 16-Mar-18 10:15:46

These threads always go well...

We take our own shoes off for both comfort and to save on cleaning the floors.

However, I think it's very rude to ask a guest to take theirs off (also rude of a guest not to wipe their feet on a doormat of course!). I would die of embarrassment asking a guest to make themselves uncomfortable to save me a bit of hoovering or mopping. And, yes, I have cream carpet on my stairs and landing and sometimes they show a mark. They always come out and it's the risk I took when I ordered a cream carpet. That's on me, not my guests.

A friend was always very precious about his filthy cream carpets. He insisted I took my shoes off once when I got to his house from work. Never mind how gross it was going around his home in pop socks, but I was also aware that after a day of running around in heels and pop socks in summer, my feet stank. I felt so uncomfortable, and it's not at all how I'd want a guest to feel in my house.

TimeIhadaNameChange Fri 16-Mar-18 10:15:54

I take my shoes off as soon as I get home as I don't feel comfortable otherwise (will change clothes as well). Will often do that at others' houses, but not necessarily (depending on what's the norm there).

I feel uncomfortable if guests feel they have to conform at mine, though, as I really don't mind shoes on in the house (though DP walking mud over a just-hoovered floor gets my goat), and I HATE being told I have to take my shoes off elsewhere, as it seems rude.

princesspxx Fri 16-Mar-18 10:17:56

I can see where you are coming from saying it’s rude to ask people to take their shoes off - I just don’t know what to do about a few particular people who visit, don’t wipe their feet and then walk over the rug in the living room. Atleast walk on the wooden part! The doormats there, Use it! Lol

Lentilbaby Fri 16-Mar-18 10:21:50

It's shoes off in our house. All friends and family know this and are happy to do so. Nobody has an issue. We have a lovely deep pile carpet to sink your feet into!

AgathaF Fri 16-Mar-18 10:21:51

We're a shoes off house but I'd never ask guests to take theirs off. I do think that they should without asking though, if they arrive with wet or dirty shoes.

LivLemler Fri 16-Mar-18 10:28:18

Well the rug is there to be walked on, in fairness! It's a floor covering, same as a carpet.

Johnnycomelately1 Fri 16-Mar-18 10:31:21

Shoes off at the door day to day here but if I'm having people for dinner or drinks, then shoes tend to be on and stay on, both for us and then.

RubyLux Fri 16-Mar-18 10:32:01

I don't care what people do. On or off - whatever makes them most comfortable.
I always keep my shoes on at home.

ikeepaforkinmypurse Fri 16-Mar-18 10:33:13

I hate carpets for precisely that reason, they are minging and any spillage is a massive faff. The amount of dust that comes out when you rip off even new carpets is enough to put me off for life.

As we do not have carpets and the floors are easily cleanable, the rugs can be replaced quickly too, we are a shoes-on house. I would be mortified to ask guests to remove their shoes.

My personal pet hate is people who do take their shoes off in my house whilst i haven't asked them! I had women walking barefoot on my floor, and I do find it gross, the idea of their sweaty feet is gross. An reasonable person will think about taking off their mud-covered boots in your house but I do find it rude when people take off their shoes, especially when you try to tell them not to!

My house is clean enough, but we don't eat on the floor, my kids don't lick it, so I am not sure why you would need them to be sterile?

NualaCassia Fri 16-Mar-18 10:36:03

We’re a shoes off household. I’m not bothered about guests taking their shoes off although they mostly do anyway, it seems to be a thing in NZ that everyone just automatically takes their shoes off at the front door.

letsdolunch321 Fri 16-Mar-18 10:40:08

Shoes off for all who visit the house.

My house .... My rules

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 16-Mar-18 10:40:56

You just people to wipe their feet the moment they attempt to walk off the door mat.
And regardless if you're a shoes on or shoes off house, please have a decent door mat. My friend is a shoes off if possible house (she lets me keep mine on as I can't walk barefoot) but she has a crap wrought iron door mat which does nothing useful

LayerShortOfALasagne Fri 16-Mar-18 10:42:03

Shoes on. I’ve got doormats!

princesspxx Fri 16-Mar-18 10:55:36

Thanks for your opinions everyone! Think I’m just gonna have to politely ask people to wipe their feet, the people who just don’t seem to bother. Also the lady who said someone went barefoot in her house shock that’s one of the reasons I don’t want to ask people to take their shoes off haha!

A client at Work requested that people wear ghostbuster type shoe coverings, now to me THAT is going too far and rude. I felt like a fucking alien walking round her house x

Ikabod Fri 16-Mar-18 10:56:43

We are a shoes off house. Most people are really good and take their shoes off. My in-laws don't, which really pisses us off. Once when I asked FiL to take his shoes off or at least wipe them on the door mat, he wiped them on our lovely new rug!
Thankfully now we have a three year old and she is brilliant for telling them off. They know full well that they should do it so if when they don't, they can feel her wrath (and we can smile and politely say "well yes, she's right actually - would you mind"?)

fussychica Fri 16-Mar-18 11:07:15

Shoes off and left at the door. Anybody visiting sees our shoes and removes theirs.

All our family and friends do similar and bring slippers when visiting for the day/dinner/extended stay.

PsychoPumpkin Fri 16-Mar-18 11:09:07

For me, it’s shoes off in mine and anyone else’s home (unless they tell me not to bother).

I remove my children’s shoes before they leave the doormat too but my husband just saunters on in and kicks his shoes off in random places. Drives me crazy.

ArcheryAnnie Fri 16-Mar-18 11:11:09

I ask people to take their shoes off as we live in a flat, and it's far more considerate for the people below us.

When I go into someone else's house I always ask if I should take my shoes off, and then follow their rules either way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: