Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Twin block braces - the aftermath

(23 Posts)
Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Thu 15-Mar-18 20:19:13

6 months after having his twin blocks first fitted, DS now only needs to wear them at night for a couple of months before his train tracks are fitted.

His teeth have moved well and are now "edge to edge" with no overbite and no overjet. He worked so hard with the braces and never complained once about them - ate every meal from day 1 with them in, persevered through the tough first week etc etc.

All well and good - they weren't the horror story we were expecting.

Now however - he's had them out and his back teeth don't meet at all so eating is HARD - he says way harder than with the braces in!

The orthodontist brushed off my question about it and said it would take a couple of months to get the molars back to meeting again!

Has anyone else's DC been through twin blocks and come out the other side and can offer words of wisdom? Will it really take months?!

Even eating a bowl of cereal is taking forever and dinner is taking over an hour!

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Fri 16-Mar-18 07:43:49

Anyone?!

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Sat 17-Mar-18 09:18:57

No-one? I can't find anything online - everything is talking about how hard it is to eat with them IN - not after they are done! Please tell me someone else has been through this!

Tralalee Sat 17-Mar-18 09:22:40

Does he have any braces on now?

Pleasebeafleabite Sat 17-Mar-18 09:26:57

OP sorry to hijack but how did you keep them clean? My ds has had his two weeks and they are really stinky already

My dd had a retainer which we could soak overnight but obvs can’t with these. I am soaking ina washing up liquid solution whilst he eats, then brushing and rinsing but I don’t suppose this is the optimal solution

dementedpixie Sat 17-Mar-18 09:36:27

You get solutions that you soak them in for 15 minutes. We were told to brush with a drop of hand wash/washing up liquid and a toothbrush too

dementedpixie Sat 17-Mar-18 09:39:53

I think it's retainer brite we had. It says it's for daily use but we used it once a week with daily cleaning with the brush

newhopewithanyluck Sat 17-Mar-18 09:40:06

We were advised to soak in what you soak dentures in. Name escapes me!

UAEMum Sat 17-Mar-18 09:44:20

My daughter had twin blocks for 6 months but used to take them out to eat. They improved her dental situation a lot and she didnt need to have any teeth removed. Now she has train tracks which were put in a little over a year ago. She is having them removed next month and then we start with retainers. If i was you, OP, i would go back and speak to the orthodontist again. It shouldnt take that long to eat. Maybe he didnt understand the extent of the problem.

Pleasebeafleabite Sat 17-Mar-18 09:44:39

Thanks both, appreciated.

caffeinated Sat 17-Mar-18 09:48:52

My son has them now and takes them out to eat and yes his molars don’t meet. I asked the orthodontist if that was normal and she smiled and said yes and that it’s a problem that’ll be rectified ‘eventually’.

AuContraireStarfishHair Sat 17-Mar-18 09:53:39

My dd had blocks and used to take them out to eat or I think she would have wasted away. She then had train track braces. Now at 16 no braces and has beautiful teeth so it was all worth it but I remember the blocks and how distressing it all was.

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Sat 17-Mar-18 11:18:02

He ate every meal with them in from day 1 - the orthodontist had told him that the best way to get treatment done quicker was to wear them 24/7 except for brushing teeth and sports - apparently one meal with them in is the equivalent of 24hrs of just wearing them without the chewing motion.

He has no braces at all at the minute - except for twin blocks at night. There is a 4mth wait for an appointment to get his train tracks on.

I know his molars didn't meet when he had the twin blocks in because obviously he had a big lump of plastic in the way - but he used the plastic to chew with the just persevered through it. Now he doesn't have that option (unless he puts the brace back in to eat, which seems crazy!) so he can only eat with his front teeth which takes forever!

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Sat 17-Mar-18 11:19:41

As for keeping them clean - he was religious about brushing them every time he also brushed his teeth - twice a day - and then rinsing them off after lunch at school too. He never had a problem and in fact, our regular dentist was impressed at how clean his teeth and brace stayed through the last 6m

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Sat 17-Mar-18 11:20:18

"Eventually"?!?! caffinated That's helpful isn't it?!

Prokupatuscrakedatus Sat 17-Mar-18 11:27:50

DD had the same 'molars don't meet' problem when her braces came out. She got her 'night braces' and the permanent wire retainers and it soon sorted itself out.

We got some of our money back - and then her wisdom teeth threatened to undo all the good work by starting to grow in the wrong directions. She had two of them out last month the other two will be removed in April.

Tralalee Sat 17-Mar-18 13:40:44

Dd had turbo bites - blocks behind her front teeth so she really couldn't close her mouth. Her molars didn't meet either. She ate soft foods for a week or so, then just managed somehow - she ate pizza a fortnight in! She had them for 6 weeks and managed. I expect it will improve hugely after a week or so.

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Sat 17-Mar-18 14:14:24

I really hope it improves soon! All the info we got from the orthodontist and we researched ourselves online was about how hard it is to eat and speak with them when they're IN - he was rather smug, truth be told, that he's got through the last 6m with minimal difficulty - none of us was expecting this!

Mrsmorton Sat 17-Mar-18 14:18:22

THeres a big long thread on twin blocks somewhere if you have a search. Very useful IMO.

booface Sat 17-Mar-18 14:20:46

My son had twin blocks and had the same problem with teeth not meeting at the back at first. It was very quickly resolved once he got the train tracks on. Hang on in there! Your son has done so well having them as they are supposed to be the hardest orthodontic appliance to get used to. Really his teeth will soon meet again!

caffeinated Sat 17-Mar-18 15:30:51

4 months wait? That’s Crackers. They take like 10 mins to put on so what’s taking so long?

Mrsmorton Sat 17-Mar-18 15:53:02

Caffeinated putting the braces on is the very tip of a complex and large iceberg. It's not like painting a wall...

You should also consider that an orthodontist has a finite amount of NHS funding which they (legally) must spread out throughout the year. It's perfectly feasible that this amounts to only a couple of days of NHS appointments each week .

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Sat 17-Mar-18 17:09:32

The orthodontist had said 2-3 months of the twin block just at night and then then train tracks would be put on - she then asked the receptionist for the first "bonding" appointment available and we were offered 5th July which is the penultimate day of school and two days before we go away on holiday for 3 weeks - not sure eating will be much fun for him on holiday either!

It's a fairly big orthodontic practice but covers a huge area I guess. DD was put forward as an urgent referral in Feb due to a tooth which is seriously out of alignment and her age meaning it needs dealt with quickly - her appointment came through yesterday - for 28th June!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: