Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you serve this, knowing a 9 and 11 year old were coming?

(618 Posts)
FrannyAndZooeyGlass Mon 12-Mar-18 08:20:33

I know I am taking my life in my hands because Mumsnet seems to have a very much "feed kids like adults" approach.

But question: if you were making dinner for a family with two children aged 9 and 11, would you serve:

Smoked salmon and homemade guacamole with salad

Veal wrapped in Parma ham and emmental served with roasted butternut squash, cumin and horse chestnuts

I loved it. It was delicious! And my children were polite and tasted everything. But I know they hardly ate a thing and filled up on bread.

So, it was lovely of our friends to invite us and it was very tasty. But I did wonder if lots of 9 and 11 year olds would enjoy this?

SuburbanRhonda Mon 12-Mar-18 08:21:48

Did you serve any vegetables?

SuburbanRhonda Mon 12-Mar-18 08:22:41

Sorry, did they serve any vegetables?

TheFairyCaravan Mon 12-Mar-18 08:23:05

Probably not, no.

LovingLola Mon 12-Mar-18 08:24:01

At that age mine would have eaten the salmon and guacamole.
Not sure about the veal. In fact, I don't think I would have fancied eating the veal myself.

LIZS Mon 12-Mar-18 08:24:21

I think veal is a risk and the starter somewhat eclectic but dc would have eaten it.

HarrietSmith Mon 12-Mar-18 08:24:27

Some children and some parents are more adventurous than others. It's quite a sophisticated menu, and it's good that your children tried it.

I think a lot of children would like some things - perhaps the gucamole and the butternut squash more than others. Veal can be quite chicken-like. Chestnuts are sweet. So lots of good flavours. But if children are suspicious of anything unfamiliar, or of familiar foods served in unfamiliar combinations, I can see they would be out of their comfort zone.

But your friends have, by the sound of it cooked a lovely meal. I hope that your children felt welcomed and enjoyed themselves generally.

FrancisCrawford Mon 12-Mar-18 08:24:43

Re veg: OP says guacamole, salad and butternut squash

I wouldn’t design a menu around children, but equally wouldn’t go for something as elaborate as that

FlexTimeCheekyFucker Mon 12-Mar-18 08:24:48

Oh so you were the guest not the host. Yes I would serve that to that age children. Are they still on nuggets at home?

Backingvocals Mon 12-Mar-18 08:24:51

I would serve that. And dcs would eat it. Pretty much.

CapnHaddock Mon 12-Mar-18 08:25:46

Mine wouldn't touch any of that.

bruffin Mon 12-Mar-18 08:26:19

Yes mine ate that sort of food from toddlers and i probably would have eaten it as a child as im half greek cypriot and ate a lot of different foods.

EB123 Mon 12-Mar-18 08:26:20

I would probably serve it but ask beforehand if the children would eat that of prefer something else.

BikeRunSki Mon 12-Mar-18 08:27:08

Dd(6) would have eaten everything (just don’t try giving her chips or baked beans). Ds(9) would have eaten the veal and Parma ham.

Fruitcocktail6 Mon 12-Mar-18 08:27:15

I'm in the feed children like adults camp, but I wouldn't eat veal.

IAmMatty Mon 12-Mar-18 08:27:53

I am very much of the 'we all eat the same' persuasion, but those are quite particular dishes, and I wouldn't assume that all kids would eat them, no.

I'd do lasagne, big salad, nice bread, or something along those lines.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Mon 12-Mar-18 08:27:56

I wouldn't, despite having kids that would probably enjoy 90% of it (one would swerve the squash). Even the best eaters can get a bit weirded-out by eating new stuff or eating away from home.

If we have visiting DC I only serve "safe" stuff - pizza, sausage and mash etc, and generally serve yourself style so that no-one is railroaded into eating something they don't like. Not very MN, I'm sure.

snewsname Mon 12-Mar-18 08:28:18

I'd have served what I wanted but I'd have a packet of fish fingers or chicken nuggets in the freezer ready to whip out if the parents said my choice of meal was unlikely to go down well.

EB123 Mon 12-Mar-18 08:28:28

My older boys (7&5) would have eaten the salmon , guacamole, butternut squash and tried the other bits but they aren't keen on meat really.

RJnomore1 Mon 12-Mar-18 08:28:38

Yep mine would have loved that as long as I didn't tell them it was veal.

I'd probably be less adventurous for other peoples children though and go for chicken and I'd have an alternative to smoked salmon just in case.

AuntLydia Mon 12-Mar-18 08:28:42

I wouldn't. My kids are pretty good and would have had a try at that. I'm a childminder and used to feeding lots of kids though and the vast majority wouldn't have even had a go, in fact I could imagine some tears. I wouldn't just assume nuggets and chips but I would have gone for something slightly less adventurous or added in some things that I know a child would have eaten.

IAmMatty Mon 12-Mar-18 08:29:03

Flex I love how you say 'still on nuggets' as if they've yet to be weaned onto adult food.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Mon 12-Mar-18 08:29:14

At 9 and 11, (before vegetarianism arrived smile) mine would have eaten all that. But all kids are different, as are adults I suppose. I know a fair amount of fussy eating adults that wouldn’t have eaten it (yes Dad, I am looking at you)

AnachronisticCorpse Mon 12-Mar-18 08:29:16

One out of three of mine would have wolfed that down. The other two wouldn’t have gone near any of it except the smoked salmon.

Risky move imo.

AnachronisticCorpse Mon 12-Mar-18 08:29:52

Also I’m really not sure about serving veal to guests without pre warning. It’s very divisive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now