Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Bloomin' TV licensing people!!

(124 Posts)
BloodyMarie Mon 05-Mar-18 07:55:30

Ive had 2 letters now, saying that i will be investigated/fined because i dont have a TV licence. I have to do something (didnt read letter properly) to register/declare if i dont have a TV.

I have a TV screen for the purpose of Netflux/Amazon Prime/NowTV

A TV licencing person came into my house a few years ago to check i wasnt connected to the aerial. I no longer even have an aerial

You dont have to prove you dont drive a car if you dont have a drivers licence, or sign a declaration. Why is the onous on me to prove i dont watch TV??

LadySainsburySeal Mon 05-Mar-18 07:58:37

So do the declaration online then. It's hardly a difficult job to do. hmm

If you don't have a licence nor declared why you don't need one they are going to investigate.

BloodyMarie Mon 05-Mar-18 08:02:40

I have made the declaration on line. Its a pain in the arse. They ask the date that you expect to start watching tv again!! There is an option to tick 'i have no plans to do this' but it can only last for 2 years!! AND you have to give a reason for 'not watching tv' from a drop-down list. Its bloody mental tbh. No-one has ever asked me to justify why i dont have a fishing licence and when i intend to start fishing...to be revisited every 2 years!!

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Mon 05-Mar-18 08:44:43

The price of what used to be the best broadcasting in the world, I'm afraid.

Palipino Mon 05-Mar-18 08:49:48

Fill in the declaration then just shut the door on any that turn up, the declaration has stopped the letters for me (they start again in 2 years but just re submit the form) occasionally get an inspector/sales man but I just don’t let them in.

specialsubject Mon 05-Mar-18 10:04:18

Do declaration, stop wasting time. Two mins on TV licence site will tell you criteria for needing a license.

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 05-Mar-18 10:15:05

They probably want a new declaration because the criteria has changed in the last few months and you would need one if you watch the BBC iplayer that you have access to as part of your Now TV.

I know it's irritating, but easiest thing to do is just fill in the declaration every 2 years.

MunchMunch Mon 05-Mar-18 14:47:24

I just ignore all letters. I told them when I cancelled my licence I didn't need one and if I ever do need one I'll contact them but that doesn't stop the constant harassment by way of threatening letters or a sales man trying to pass himself off as someone very important. I won't waste anymore of my time on them.

PandaPolarBear Mon 05-Mar-18 15:41:17

If you've only had two letters you havent had a chance to see that they just rotate through a standard set of letters, one per month.

They will be opening an investigation, giving you 10 days to get a license, letting you know that enforcement officers visit homes in your area, proceeding with final stages of investigation, and ensuring you have information needed before a hearing is set at court... and these don't arrive in any particular order, they can all be ignored.

greenmagpie Mon 05-Mar-18 15:47:47

Too many ppl take the piss so sadly this is the stupid price to pay. My old neighbour never used to pay but clearly watched tv all day every day (no it wasn't on the internet or anything). As a result she was so paranoid about the licensing ppl showing up (they never did afaik) she wouldn't open the door unless you did a special knock.

BloodyMarie Mon 05-Mar-18 17:53:56

Oh, thats good to know, thanks panda

GummyGoddess Mon 05-Mar-18 18:11:42

@PandaPolarBear is correct, we get letters telling us they have evidence that we are watching television, and are we sure we wouldn't like a licence?

We don't watch it, even at PIL where they have Sky, DH and I can never find anything of interest to watch. I can only assume that they are liars as they are telling us things about ourselves that we know aren't true. Therefore I don't trust anything in their letters and just recycle them.

Soozy95 Mon 05-Mar-18 18:55:43

Under what law is it you have to declare you don't need a licence?

Justanotherlurker Mon 05-Mar-18 19:06:00

Do you never watch the news, listen to and of the radio stations.

As others have said you now need one to watch any catch up tv as well.

They will keep hassling regardless of you sending in a form, its a draconian system i admit, but a lot of the people I know who refuse to buy a TV license happily sit and listen to BBC radio daily and use Iplayer religiously

BloodyMarie Mon 05-Mar-18 19:06:33

Well it does seem a bit strange soozy...i also dont have a tractor driving licence or a licence to sell alcohol. I am not required to declare every 2 years that i am still not driving tractors or selling alcohol. And give my reasons for not driving tractors/selling alcohol

Surely, there CANNOT be a legal requirement to declare all the activities you DONT do and therefore dont need a licence confused

Palipino Mon 05-Mar-18 19:11:00

You don’t have legally have to declare, but they will just keep bugging you though with letters.
You don’t need a license to listen to radio.

BloodyMarie Mon 05-Mar-18 19:13:56

No just i read news online and listen to local radio. I rarely watch anything, but if i do its a film or series from netflix. The kids watch more programmes than i do, but not any catchup stuff. And they listen to Kiss/Kisstory on DAB radio

Justanotherlurker Mon 05-Mar-18 19:38:45

I'm not saying it is not a draconian system, but you will be using BBC services directly at some point even if it is just going to the BBC website.

You are already paying for netflix/amazon prime etc, for another couple of quid a month you can make sure your local radio station still gets a some contribution and you get to watch the best of the bbc that is picked up by Netflix/amazon

BloodyMarie Mon 05-Mar-18 19:41:45

Ummm...no thanks, i already pay netflix and amazon. Im sure they pay the BBC for anything they use

How will paying for a tv licence benefit local radio?

Palipino Mon 05-Mar-18 19:42:41

you will be using BBC services directly at some point even if it is just going to the BBC website.
Not necessarily I don’t use any bbc product, hence the no paying! Spotify for music, Netflix, Amazon, Viki, crunchyroll for tv/movies and get my news off lots off various websites.

specialsubject Mon 05-Mar-18 19:44:20

Ethics...a county east of London. Supporting amazon but not the BBC...

Palipino Mon 05-Mar-18 19:46:16

Ethics confused ? Why would I or the op buy something that we don’t use? Would be a daft waste of money.

Vitalogy Mon 05-Mar-18 19:47:31

When you declare it online they don't listen. I just ignore them.

GummyGoddess Mon 05-Mar-18 19:49:09

I am not paying money every year for something I don't want or need. It's nothing to do with ethics, if they had ethics they wouldn't be accusing me of lying and then lying themselves saying they have evidence of me lying when they don't.

specialsubject Mon 05-Mar-18 19:56:38

Yes, they do log the online declarations. Have done it in the past.

Radio, I player etc are funded by the licence fee. Either pay or stop using the service.

The license company are crapita, not the BBC. You are spewing bile at the wrong people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: