Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What is the most amount of damage your toddler has caused in someone else's house? Come and make me feel better.

(139 Posts)
TheKitchenWitch Tue 27-Feb-18 13:38:09

Just that really.
I am still recovering from what ds2 (2.10) did at the weekend: pressed a button on a small remote control which had been left on the coffee table. This caused the lid on the side cabinet to open and a tv to start sliding up. Only problem was that the sideboard was currently being used to display a collection of antiques, which came spectacularly crashing down, one by one.

Estimated damage : one hundred thousand euros.
And that doesn't include damage done to the parquet flooring from where the marble clock smashed on it.

Please come and tell me your tales of havoc caused by toddlers.

CiderwithBuda Tue 27-Feb-18 13:39:22

OMG.

Polyethyl Tue 27-Feb-18 13:39:59

That really isn't you or your toddler's fault.

alwaysthepessimist Tue 27-Feb-18 13:40:10

why would someone store antiques worth so much money on top of a cabinet that opens upwards and then leave the thing that controls out on display?!! I don't get it....

lashestans Tue 27-Feb-18 13:40:33

Is this in someone else's house or a boast about how expensive your house contents are?

Whoever's house it is shouldn't leave remotes lying around for little fingers to touch if this is the type of potential damage so entirely their own fault

InaConfusedState Tue 27-Feb-18 13:41:21

shock how many euros?!

My DS pulled down a blind when he was a toddler. He heard a noise outside and went to investigate - lifted up the bottom slat and it went splat onto the floor. Not quite in the league of your DS grin

Thistlebelle Tue 27-Feb-18 13:41:36

What kind of idiot puts one hundred thousand euros worth of antiques on top of the tv cabinet and then leaves the remote control accessible? At any time, let alone when there is a toddler in the house.

That’s a very, very strange arrangement.

They obviously don’t use the TV much so why was the control out?

Branleuse Tue 27-Feb-18 13:42:01

wow, what a stupid place for them to put expensive antiques.

I think the worst damage my daughter did as a toddler might have been turning the cooker on while my friend was using it as a surface to put her laptop on. Worse still she was borrowing it from someone else.

There was also the time when she smeared sudocrem over my friends bedroom carpet.

CointreauVersial Tue 27-Feb-18 13:42:23

Noooo! Though you'd think the remote control would have been put somewhere safely.

Not quite as bad as yours, but we went for a playdate with a few other kids when DS was small, and they decided that the host's cream bedroom carpet was the wrong colour, so the whole gang got busy with a pot of paint to change it to purple.

DS was also caught (with his BFF) pouring a whole set of expensive Clarins products down the loo.

jimijack Tue 27-Feb-18 13:42:26

No, sorry but I can t top that and my boy has done horrific things!

Lalalaleah Tue 27-Feb-18 13:42:40

Omg!
But that was a very stupid place to leave the remote control. Any passing adult could have tried to turn on the TV. Whose house was it.

SumThucker Tue 27-Feb-18 13:42:48

100 thousand euro worth of antiques lying about, with a toddler, on a cabinet which opens upwards, with a remote control just lying around?

Crikey.

ClemDanfango Tue 27-Feb-18 13:43:13

😱😱😱😱 my DS2 climbed on a radiator at a friends house and it came off the wall!
I was fucking mortified and obvs paid for the damage but felt so so guilty.
Please tell me they have insurance?!

Kattymanners Tue 27-Feb-18 13:46:03

Even if this thread remains current for weeks I doubt anybody can come close to that amount... so unfortunately we can’t make you feel better grin

However my nephew cleaned his car with a Brillo pad and caused damage on every panel in the low thousands grin

What has been the reaction of the owner ?

ScattyCharly Tue 27-Feb-18 13:47:09

Holy shit!!!

ScattyCharly Tue 27-Feb-18 13:48:28

I hope your friend is a footballer or something. To match that value of damage, most of us would have to set the house on fire.

RubyRed2017 Tue 27-Feb-18 13:48:34

Can't top that, although one of mine poked in an audio speaker cone which was worth several hundred £. Owner kindly said he was looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway.

But as PP have said, how stupid re the antiques.

Borris Tue 27-Feb-18 13:49:35

shock

TheKitchenWitch Tue 27-Feb-18 13:49:37

No, not a stealth boast, like fuck would I a)have antiques worth taht much and b) be so fucking stupid as to put them on there and leave the remote ON THE COFFEE TABLE

It was utterly stupid in every way so obviously not actually ds's fault - tbh we were relieved that nothing had actually fallen ON a child, which could have easily happened.

It is a family member, so relations may be somewhat strained from now on until it's resolved....

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Tue 27-Feb-18 13:56:04

Parents, on summer holiday at a family home. House exterior being painted. Said paint left unattended (lunchtime??). Young cousin painted their car (a lot!)grin

SeeKnievelHitThe17thBus Tue 27-Feb-18 13:56:45

The owner of the antiques doesn't have children I'm guessing. Like when we went to stay with my DSis and she was baffled why
I was lifting kntting needles, nail scissors away from gouge-able cabinets before toddler DS saw them.

I'd agree. This is stupidity on the part of the owner, not your toddler. Had they poured their drink into the TV, your fault, but this ws pressing one button. The control needed hiding away.

mamamalt Tue 27-Feb-18 13:57:10

Omg!!! That is a shocker. And also as everyone else said. Silly place for antiques!
We are currently living with in laws in lovely house with stone floors and lots of expensive things. This morning he brought a brass old telescope on a big wooden tripod crashing down! I live on tenderhooks! 😂😩

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 27-Feb-18 13:57:48

Well I’m not sure why you’re being so aggressive towards the person whose belongings you have damaged, you sounded remorseful at first but clearly you’re not in the least. People who don’t have toddlers just don’t foresee issues in their homes; when mine first started walking I did some idiotic and very obvious things wrong because I just hadn’t had to think about it before.

If you go to someone’s house who doesn’t have kids, supervise them constantly and don’t let them get hold of remotes, quite basic!

Presumably they have insurance but I would be apologising and meaning it.

BoogleMcGroogle Tue 27-Feb-18 13:58:03

Nothing nearly that bad so far. But my mother in law is insistent that the children have to be sent off to 'explore' each time they visit her house and that adult supervision would absolutely spoil the fun. She has an upstairs drawing room full of Chinese ceramics (including three large floor vases) which is not off limits. Every visit is terrifying.....

WhipperSnacker Tue 27-Feb-18 13:59:25

I would actually be quite concerned about a mechanism that has the strength to open with a marble clock on top! Surely this shouldn't be allowed? Crush injuries could be really serious if this opened under that amount of resistance and it was actually a little one that had climbed on top.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: