Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

3k a month rental, would you if it was the *misr* perfect house ever?

(40 Posts)
ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 25-Feb-18 22:52:03

I've seen a house I adore, it's amazing. We've just had to change our plans because DS didn't get into our school of choice, it's not easy either because DD is autistic, we don't want to buy at the moment because we don't know where she'll go to senior.

Our income is 10k after tax but 3k for a rent sounds massive.

I'm just in a spin. I don't know what to do after DS failed his entrance exam.

Obviously I'm a twat. DH keeps trying to talk me down but I'm a mess.

And yes. I know I'm a massive tosser. But it doesn't stop me sobbing and thinking every other bastard will win the prizes my DS should have had.

Yep. I am that wanker.

But he has such a shite life, it's all about his sister. I just wanted this for him.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:56:00

Is this in addition to your family home?

NorthernLurker Sun 25-Feb-18 22:58:14

So are you saying you can afford the rent and this would enable your son to go to a school you like? That sounds like a no brainer to me.

UpstartCrow Sun 25-Feb-18 22:58:22

Don't do it. You aren't thinking straight at the moment. Think of the future and university fees.

GreenTulips Sun 25-Feb-18 22:59:13

Your disappointed
This school wasn't for for him, so you need chin up and make a plan for what's next

It's difficult when no doubt his friends 'made it' - but he'll find his own way

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Sun 25-Feb-18 23:00:22

I agree with PP. You're not thinking straight. why on earth don't you buy somewhere? Why would you hand over £3k of your money to someone else everymonth (the mind boggles)

ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 25-Feb-18 23:00:26

No. It would be our family home. It would be near my family and a good state school for DS (we may consider boarding at 13+), but we wouldn't be buying anywhere, simply because I don't know where we'll end up for DD and what will be best for her.

greendale17 Sun 25-Feb-18 23:02:19

*No. It would be our family home. It would be near my family and a good state school for DS*

Then buy somewhere in the same area. Rental is too uncertain. Plus a waste of money when you can get a mortgage for less than 3k!

ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 25-Feb-18 23:02:56

DH contracts so works all over the world. We're not constrained by his work.

Locotion Sun 25-Feb-18 23:03:01

This is more about your kids than a house , I think?

ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 25-Feb-18 23:05:45

And the house is on an estate, so it's not uncertain. It would likely be a life tenancy.

flumpybear Sun 25-Feb-18 23:06:57

Send them to a decent state school if they failed the entrance exam - happened to my husband 25 odd years ago, life sucks but money can't buy everything .... except rent a house in s decdnt school area wink

FWIW me and my brother both went to state schools and we're both intellectually far beyond both my husband and his brother (private school educated) ... it's not always about the school sometimes it's just the kick of what's you're born with

CotswoldStrife Sun 25-Feb-18 23:08:10

Surely 3K a month would buy a private education, rather than a house?

unfortunateevents Sun 25-Feb-18 23:11:39

What do you mean "likely" a life tenancy? How do you know the owners aren't going to sell in a year's time?

ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 25-Feb-18 23:12:21

I know I'm being an arse.

I know I am. I just wanted something for DS that's not about DD because everything is about DD.

Everything.

And DS saw the rejection letter yesterday, shut himself in his room for ten minutes and then came out and kept telling me how happy he was.

And it broke m6 fucking heart.

ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 25-Feb-18 23:19:08

I don't think the 'owners' are going to sell because it's an established estate and is owned by one if the mist well endowed families in the UK.

AbsentmindedWoman Sun 25-Feb-18 23:24:15

I'm confused, how is the house especially for your DS? Why would he care so much about that specific house - would there not be several that would allow him to attend the good local school even if the family did decide to sell up next year?

SixFeetUnder Sun 25-Feb-18 23:26:03

I don't know what to tell you but I can feel the pain in your posts and just wanted to let you know I'd heard you and you weren't alone. I'm sure someone with actual helpful advice will be along soon and I haven't been in your position but I feel your pain in every one of your posts and feel for you trying to do right by your son whilst doing everything you can for your daughter.

FloatyFlo Sun 25-Feb-18 23:38:42

Wtf is going on here?!

Locotion Sun 25-Feb-18 23:41:56

No idea FloatyFlo but I can't help being slightly jealous of a £10k / month salary. Pretty sure I could solve most of my problems with that much money!

ILikeyourHairyHands Sun 25-Feb-18 23:52:50

Thank you Sixfeet.

ILikeyourHairyHands Mon 26-Feb-18 00:05:07

And I'm on my third day of sobbing. I know I'm an utter twat. I just know my lovely DS will always come second to his sister, no matter how much money we have because whatever I do, I HAVE to give more to her.

I'm blowing big snotty bubbles.

ILikeyourHairyHands Mon 26-Feb-18 00:06:46

Money doesn't solve everything.

notapizzaeater Mon 26-Feb-18 00:11:12

I understand - has ds got support away from his sister, we have young carers here that do great stuff with siblings so they don't always take 2nd place

Rollonweekend Mon 26-Feb-18 00:23:03

*I know I am. I just wanted something for DS that's not about DD because everything is about DD

You sound like the most loving mother ever xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: