Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you shop in Waitrose

(65 Posts)
JoJoSM2 Sun 25-Feb-18 21:41:30

What's your weekly spend and size of household? Following all the threads about the cost of food, I wondered if it actually works out much more than other shops.

feeona123 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:08:26

I do too up shops there and some things are cheaper than Sainsburys!

feeona123 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:08:37

FlibbertyGiblets Sun 25-Feb-18 22:11:40

On a par with mid range. Don't compare with say Asda. Yes fruit n veg more spenny at Waitrose but your strawbs won't be soggy.

The Essentials range is vair good.

GreyHare Sun 25-Feb-18 22:12:10

I spend what I spend and it tends to be the same in Tesco/M&S/Sainsbury as it is Waitrose but I do try to buy Organic or Free Range meat and veg so probably spend more than most, but I like the ethics of Waitrose so choose to shop there rather than Tesco and I hate Sainsburys with a passion no idea why but just don't like it as a shop.

PickleSarnie Sun 25-Feb-18 22:14:22

I really don't think it's that much more expensive for normal shopping. It's just that to get to the bread, milk etc you have to walk past all sorts of awesomeness and try not to put the awesomeness in your trolley.

Love it though. Going there in the evenings without kids is like going on a spa trip.

ThePrincipal Sun 25-Feb-18 22:15:19

About £100 a week including toiletries etc.. Three of us plus a cat.

SoftSheen Sun 25-Feb-18 22:16:08

We do some of our shopping in Waitrose, though not all. Depending on what you buy, it can actually work out cheaper than Tesco or Sainsbury's. The Essentials range is great, as are their 3 for £10 meat/fish offers.

goose1964 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:16:49

We go early evening and the markdowns are a lot better than Tesco

LizzieSiddal Sun 25-Feb-18 22:19:34

I spend around £80- £100 a week for Dh and I. When dds are home from uni, it’s more. I do try other supermarkets, and it is cheaper but I prefer Waitrose.

youcantelleverybody Sun 25-Feb-18 22:20:57

£80/week for two adults plus DC7 and DC2. That excludes nappies, washing powder / conditioner, loo roll and dishwasher tablets which I get through amazon but includes everything else with no top ups required.

Pradaqueen Sun 25-Feb-18 22:24:58

I actually use Ocado/Waitrose now for my elderly parents as well as our house and they cannot believe how much less they spend than going to Sainsbury's or Tesco's. Trick is to buy stuff on offer when you see it. Agree essentials range is excellent value and great quality plus 3 for £10 on meat/fish. You can set up more than one address in your monthly Ocado delivery pass which means in winter months both sets of parents can get food delivered if we can't get to them.

hmcAsWas Sun 25-Feb-18 22:30:39

I've looked at my online shopping at Waitrose and taking an arithmetic mean of the last 11 orders I spent on average £260 for a family of four per 7-10 days. I am a bit alarmed by this (didn't look at my order history for this thread - had looked at it anyway because I was vaguely aware that I was being profligate) and think I could make some sensible economies just by engaging brain before filling my trolley. Plan to get it down to £175 per shop initially, as my first target

Disclaimer I do buy everything at the Waitrose - all household cleaning stuff, toiletries, wine etc (no separate trips to Boots, the butchers, Amazon etc)

But yes I rather suspect it is more expensive than elsewhere

hmcAsWas Sun 25-Feb-18 22:32:01

Looking at the other contributions on this thread - think I should start with the Essentials range

headoutofthesand Sun 25-Feb-18 22:32:11

It is noticeably more expensive than ASDA, 10p or 15p more on every item and much more on fresh fruit and junk food. But there is an extent to which it is worth it as i can often go straight to a till and rarely have to wait for more than one person. ASDA, on the other hand, is usually 3 deep at the self scan conveyer belt tills.

20nil Sun 25-Feb-18 22:32:53

I think it is more expensive but it’s convenient for me so I do use it. But, the fruit and veg are not great and I try to avoid. Marks fruit and veg is much, much better.

Ffeyone Sun 25-Feb-18 22:34:32

I spend £150 a week in Waitrose for four of us. Not much more than Tesco from what I’ve found.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Sun 25-Feb-18 22:35:24

I have been to Waitrose less times than other supermarkets and tbh I never worry too much about the price unless the food tastes crap. And every time I’ve given it the benefit of the doubt it’s still been not up to par for what you would expect for the prices.
I’d rather go the m&s

helterskelter99 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:37:03

I don’t think if it’s your regular supermarket it’s any more expensive I spend less than when I go elsewhere BUT i know the offer cycle and so stock up etc
Fresh stuff lasts better and tastes better in my experience

LyricalGangster Sun 25-Feb-18 22:37:20

I loves my local waitrose! Normally spend around £80 ish per week, sometimes more, sometimes slightly less. We are a family of 4. But we don't drink alcohol (that tends to keep food shop costs down)

But I do tend to shop their offers, so will buy meat on 3 for £10, this week we got prawns because they were 30% off, pizzas when they are half price, and I'll stock up on pasta, rice, coconut milk, tinned tomatoes etc when they are on offer.

I think their fruit and veg tends to be more expensive than my local Morrison's but it lasts well and tastes good.

Mine has a cafe so I bribe ds to behave well in the store with the promise of a babycino (30p) whilst I have my free tea/coffee.

They are always sending me money off vouchers (spend £40 get £4 off this month)

I think I could probably do a cheaper weekly shop at aldi/liddle but last time I went into Sainsbury I was shocked at how expensive everything in there was. I think the trick with waitrose is to shop the offers and not be tempted by the luxury offerings such as balsamic salad pearls or lobster tails

CakeNinja Sun 25-Feb-18 22:37:23

I do my online weekly shop with ocado and buy quite a lot of Waitrose products.
If I miss the online shop (like when we’ve been on holiday) I do my shop in Waitrose. Price is usually more by about £30-40.
Considering I think we spend about £230 a week on food for 5 of us, I don’t think it’s that much more expensive but I always chuck in the different and unusual varieties of things which they don’t stock on Ocado.
I like Waitrose meat counter but a lot of it is much more expensive compared to say Tesco or Sainsbury’s, but they tell you which is organic and which is just free range etc, so I think you’re paying for quality.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Sun 25-Feb-18 22:37:44

We usually spend around £700 per month for 8 of us and 2 dogs. Usually from Tesco or asda though.

MarklahMarklah Sun 25-Feb-18 22:37:55

About £50-60p/w for two adults & 1 child. Get lots of the essentials stuff and always try to take advantage of things on offer, and evening reductions (good price slashes if you get in there about an hour before closing).

Parrothead Sun 25-Feb-18 22:38:14

I honestly would be scared to think how much I spend. And I should think about it. I do a big shop at Ocado every 10 days or so and buy lots of Waitrose products — mostly Duchy/organic. That is usually around £200. But I also spend probably £50/week topping up at Waitrose, M&S, or sometimes Tesco. I am a terrible example though. You could do a LOT better. I resolve to focus on this more. We could use the savings.

cheshiremama89 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:39:55

£80/90 pw on Ocado

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: