Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Quinoa isn't middle class right?

(42 Posts)
OutyMcOutface Sun 25-Feb-18 21:02:35

I just saw a quinoa meme on the overheard at Waitrose Facebook thing. The jist was that quinoa eaters are middle class tossers. But the thing is 90% of middle class Brits I know don't seem to actually make it at home, some have it in pret but many don't even eat it, quite a few didn't even know what I was talking about when I brought it up. Most people I spend time with are over 35 (maybe it's generational?). Quinoa is pretty common where I grew up but I always thought it was a bit of a hippy/veganista thing here or have I missed some kind of massive middle class quinoa subculture? Feel free to tell me about any good recipes btw, husband is on a diet.

Klobuchar Sun 25-Feb-18 21:04:04

I thought Quinoa was a no-no these days, due to the demand outstripping supply and basically taking food out of the mouths of S. Americans.

Sprinklesinmyelbow Sun 25-Feb-18 21:05:12

No, quinoa is South American peasant food made popular by Gillian McKeith in 2003. Anyone still rattling on about it like it makes them a middle class hipster is a twat.

Nousernameforme Sun 25-Feb-18 21:05:43

I've cooked it once and found the little white shoot thingy that comes out of it very off putting. Not been near it since

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 21:06:13

Can’t stand it,

FreeNiki Sun 25-Feb-18 21:08:48

It's really hard on the digestion too. Always upsets my stomach.

IdaDown Sun 25-Feb-18 21:09:00

www.britishquinoa.co.uk

Grown in Shropshire

Camomila Sun 25-Feb-18 21:09:55

I think of quinoa as a hippy/health thing.
My DM used to make it for us back in the 90s...oh how we complained! I like it now though.

She had breast cancer and a dietitian gave her a special diet and literally for years it felt like we only ate bulgar wheat and quinoa (childhood exageration! I'm sure we had other stuff occasionally)

Candlelights Sun 25-Feb-18 21:13:08

It's certainly not a popular working class food (in Britain) Can't exactly see anyone out to the chippy for a pie and mash with quinoa wink

It's a health food/veggie food popular with some types of middle class tastes.

Palavra Sun 25-Feb-18 21:13:55

I think the quinoa fad has died out in the U.K. - or at least there’s not still the weird hippy love for it any more even if people still eat it. For me it’s definitrly an upper middle class thing, in my mind.

GruffaloPants Sun 25-Feb-18 21:16:21

Is "hippy/veganista" somehow not middle class?

themandtheres Sun 25-Feb-18 21:16:24

Of course it's middle class.

Can you imagine Chelsey pushing her trolley around Iceland full of chicken nuggets, Greggs sausage rolls and a big old bag of quinoa?

Palavra Sun 25-Feb-18 21:16:34

I think the hippy thing/middle class thing went together I mean. People have become more interested in ‘well-being’ so there’s been the rise in yoga, organics, pretty smoothies etc a kind of Instagram middle class. Right next to beautiful photos of children in the outdoors, or art and craft tables for the kids etc. Not a bad thing at all but what was hippy is now upper middle class imo.

OutyMcOutface Sun 25-Feb-18 21:33:34

@GruffaloPants. I mean proper hippy-they sell it in massive bags at the Hare Kroshna temple for example (obviously the really into it followers are also vegan except for kill free dairys). By veganista I meant the militant vegan who is also a communist type. So not middle class university lecturer type hippy iyswim?

Cellardoor23 Sun 25-Feb-18 21:36:25

I saw that meme too op grin Personally, I don't understand how it's middle class, or how any food is middle class They sell it in most places now, even some fast food chain restaurants, it's everywhere. Is it the hummus of its generation?

Sprinklesinmyelbow Sun 25-Feb-18 21:39:43

themandtheres
So people who aren’t middle class eat chicken nuggets and Greggs sausage rolls do they? You are such a loser 😂

OutyMcOutface Sun 25-Feb-18 21:43:31

@Cellardoor the lower middle class do have this weird propensity of obsessing over certain things (joules comes to mind and convoluted g&t back in the day). I assumed that this was what they meant but had zero recollection of quinoa mania.

Nousernameforme Sun 25-Feb-18 22:09:37

Themandtheres Iceland sell quinoa along side the frozen greggs so even lowly chicken nugget eaters can get in on the quinoa action.

Does anyone else secretly pronounce it. qu-in-oh-ah in their head?

GruffaloPants Sun 25-Feb-18 22:10:49

Hmm. All still,sounds pretty middle class to me. Not that that is a bad thing, just the way it is.

I'm middle class and eat Greggs, chicken nuggets AND quinoa, though rarely together grin

GlassHeart1 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:14:44

I think it's more popular because it's a gluten free option rather than class.

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Sun 25-Feb-18 22:17:05

Iceland sell frozen avocados these days, along with the greggs sausage rolls!

I don't think food is divided along class lines in the way it used to be. I think people just buy what they like and what they consider to be worth the money.

Jamhandprints Sun 25-Feb-18 22:18:31

It definitely is here, midlands. Everyone goes on about it like its a wonder-food.

GummyGoddess Sun 25-Feb-18 22:30:45

I thought it was quite a common food to eat, didn't realise it was a class thing! The only people that have said anything have been DH's family but they (FIL) do have an odd view on which classes of people should eat which food so I thought they were just being silly.

Klobuchar Mon 26-Feb-18 00:32:08

Are people seriously arguing that eating quinoa isn’t middle class? For the love of GOD.

Ivymaud Mon 26-Feb-18 00:48:30

I thought it was pretty mainstream now? I use it in vegetarian chilli fairly regularly.
Some people still harp on about hummus and olives making them middle class, though grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: