Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Amniotic band during pregnancy

(17 Posts)
Sparklesdontshine Sun 25-Feb-18 17:50:47

I just had a private scan (16 weeks), and they detected a thick amniotic band sad

Has anyone else experienced this, and what was the outcome?

I had never even heard about it until an hour ago!

Witchend Sun 25-Feb-18 18:01:24

I've never heard of one being detected on a scan.

My dd2 was born missing a hand. The doctors don't know why, but one of the theories is that an amniotic band wrapped round the developing hand. Her consultants don't go for this theory, however it's one of the more popular ones.
Don't search Google on it. I did once and there's a load of rubbish (mostly American) out there attributing everything from clef palette through to even more ridiculous ideas.
I'm skeptical on it causing limb loss as it's twice as common in arms than legs and twice as common to be left than right. If it was something like amniotic banding it would be even odds round, surely?

I would hope that if they spotted it, they will have checked the limbs thoroughly.

Cervixen Sun 25-Feb-18 18:03:18

Did they just tell you that at the scan, or did they advise you what to do next, Sparkles?
I think you definitely need to contact your midwife/maternity assessment unit - let them know about your private scan result.

notsomanky Sun 25-Feb-18 18:05:06

I had one with DS2, It was picked up on the 20 week scan.

They suspect it was probably linked somehow to scar tissue from a previous c-section.

They scanned me a few more times but it became clear the band was not near his limbs so he had no issues.

Sparklesdontshine Sun 25-Feb-18 18:13:58

She spent ages being quiet, and then showed it me and said to tell my midwife. It was really obvious, like a tightrope.

I will hopefully speak with midwife tomorow, if I can get hold of anyone.

I'm trying not to Google!

AsMuchUseAsAMarzipanDildo Sun 25-Feb-18 18:17:20

Had amniotic bands with DD at 20week scan. However they said that as they were loose and she was seen moving freely it wasn’t a cause for concern. She was fine.

Let your community midwife know. If they’re still there at 20 weeks and tight you’ll be referred to fetal medicine for advice x

Gowgirl Sun 25-Feb-18 18:20:54

I have amniotic band syndrome affecting both hands and one of my feet, ask away, im very thick skinned...

KittiKat Sun 25-Feb-18 18:26:02

Please try and not worry. I had several amniotic bands on my placenta. It was only noticed after I gave birth. My DS was perfectly fine. The doctors asked permission to keep my placenta to show others in lectures!

clarrylove Sun 25-Feb-18 18:30:18

I was told they had detected one at my scan. I was referred to a different hospital fir a more in depth scan and they could not find a thing. Said it was diagnosed in error. In the meantime I had worried myself sick. My advice would be try not to Google and get a second opinion ASAP.

MissisBee Sun 25-Feb-18 20:25:09

I had one detected at my 12 week scan. It was well away from the baby and all limbs looked fine so no further action was needed. From what I remember reading at the time, a thicker band (sometimes called a shelf) is less risky than finer bands.
Baby is absolutely fine.

Sparklesdontshine Sun 25-Feb-18 22:16:08

Thanks everyone, that is reassuring

Sparklesdontshine Mon 26-Feb-18 19:13:12

I only managed to speak to a midwife about an hour ago, and they seemed quite clueless as to how to proceed confused

They are trying to get hold of the sonographer from the private scan clinic, to get more information

Gowgirl Mon 26-Feb-18 19:27:07

Shes probally never heard of it! None of the midwives i have had have ever seen it as its quite rare nowdays, i believe if there is a risk of damage to the baby they laser the bands somehow! 40 odd years ago there was no way of telling if the bands where there.
It might be worth speaking to a consultant for your own piece of mind.

Sparklesdontshine Mon 26-Feb-18 19:59:43

@cowgirl, if you don't mind me asking, was yours not known about until you were born?

Gowgirl Mon 26-Feb-18 20:07:24

No, as i said sonagraphs were not routine then, i can only imagine how horrible it was for my mum at 21, luckily i was taken on by a leading hand surgeon and after a few operations it hasnt limited me at all.
When i had my own children they checked at my scans but i still took mr evans current clinic number with me to the delivery room just incase. It was my consultant that put my mind at rest about correcting troublesome bands in utero nowdays.

Sparklesdontshine Mon 26-Feb-18 21:29:20

I hadn't realised you could correct them in utero, thank you for sharing smile

Gowgirl Mon 26-Feb-18 21:43:01

Its not necessary in most cases its just a matter of monitoring. Dont worry too much x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: