Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you buy a kitchen appliance that is anex display/discontinued model?

(18 Posts)
FluffyWuffyToiletSeatCover Sun 25-Feb-18 12:46:11

We’ve been having problems with our oven for a bit.
The element keeps burning out, and we had to buy a new element only a year after the last one went.

Well, anyway, yesterday we went looking for a new oven. We found one that fitted the bill, had everything we required. Reduced by £100 as it was ex display. I said to dh that fits the bill perfectly.

Anyway, another couple were looking at it, and I overheard the woman say to her dp, ‘I won’t buy that, it’s an old model, and probably has been used in demos. God knows where it’s been’.

We looked at others, but they didn’t have everything in it like this one, so we bought it.

Has anybody else bought ex display models, and found them to be ok?
Was the woman in the shop just being snobby, or a truth in what she was saying?

FluffyWuffyToiletSeatCover Sun 25-Feb-18 12:48:46

It looks great btw, no marks, brand new, decent make.

nocake Sun 25-Feb-18 12:51:02

Display ovens are unlikely to have even been wired in so won't have been used. If it comes with the standard guarantee then I'd buy it.

GrumpyInsomniac Sun 25-Feb-18 12:51:35

We bought an ex-display KitchenAid blender. And save close on £150 in the process. Unless you don't clean things, I don't see any shame in buying ex-display. It's almost certainly never been used, and is just a bit dusty or has the odd scratch. Refusing to buy ex-display for anything other than a gift seems a bit snobby and silly to me.

Congrats on your bargain smile

FluffyWuffyToiletSeatCover Sun 25-Feb-18 12:59:44

Cheers @Grumpy, I’m well impressed with it. Can’t wait to tell the girls at work tomorrow. Bargain !!!!!!
Well done on your saving too.

Never thought of that @nocake.

opinionatedfreak Sun 25-Feb-18 13:08:14

I bought an ex-display job. Kitchen shop lost it so installed brand new updated model of same job for the agreed price!!

Having an ex-display one really wouldn't have bothered me though.

opinionatedfreak Sun 25-Feb-18 13:08:55

Hob not job.

Bloody autocorrect

WorriedAndTired Sun 25-Feb-18 13:10:55

Ex display is fine. They won’t have been actually used. Just watch out with currys ex display as they used to attach huge stickers which don’t bloody come off!! Ask the shop to remove the stickers before delivery. Am still pissed odd about the lovely f/f that owemantwly has a sticky mark left from the a4 sized label. We tried everything to get the marks off and never managed, including sticky stuff remover, wd40 etc

FluffyWuffyToiletSeatCover Sun 25-Feb-18 13:25:57

Was going to look at Currys but found this first. I heard about their pain in the arse stickers from somebody else, I wonder if they’ve got a better way of putting stickers on things/getting them off?

We bought the oven from a kitchen appliance warehouse that we’ve used many times before, and yes they took the stickers off. We took the oven home ourselves yesterday.

Nobody else was going to have it, we made sure of that grin

FrogFairy Sun 25-Feb-18 13:28:32

Yes I would buy ex display, maybe just check that all accessories are still present such as grill pan, racks etc.

There is also money to be saved buying graded products. A dent or scratch won’t impair function.

FluffyWuffyToiletSeatCover Sun 25-Feb-18 13:29:59

You did well with your hob @opinionated.
Sounds like the woman in the shop was being snobby, well, she definitely missed out on a bargain!

FluffyWuffyToiletSeatCover Sun 25-Feb-18 13:47:58

It’s got everything in it @Frog, racks, grill pan, guarantee etc.
It’s brand new, no marks on it.

It’s taken pride of place in the conservatory atm until we sort the installation out, and we have downloaded the user manual.

I keep looking at it. I obviously need to get out more 😁.

We also bought a hob in the January sales online, only £109 (or thereabouts), so we’ve done really well.

SlipperyLizard Sun 25-Feb-18 14:03:52

We bought a second hand oven when ours unexpectedly broke, the woman in the shop would be horrified I’m sure!

It had been thoroughly cleaned and we didn’t have hundreds for a brand new one. Ex-display won’t have had anything cooked in it.

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Sun 25-Feb-18 14:29:35

@WorriedandTired you need some solvent/PVCu cleaner, that stuff gets EVERYTHING off, it’s amazing. I’ve never come across anything that it can’t remove. Sticky resudue would be no problem at all.

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Sun 25-Feb-18 14:30:39

I would have no problem with an ex display appliance, our dishwasher is ex display and has actually outlasted the shop we bought it from!

Ructation Sun 25-Feb-18 14:43:33

My washing machine and tumble dryer were both ex display. I've had them now than 10 years now. Both still working.

PickleFish Sun 25-Feb-18 14:51:19

my dishwasher was ex-display and is fine. It had a slight mark on it that is on the back (on the plug) so never seen! Was at least £100 off, and then in the JL sale. I'd never have got a Miele any other way (and it was the lowest of the line).

WorriedAndTired Sun 25-Feb-18 14:56:12

I think we tried the solvent stuff too. We bought loads of things! Eventually the stickiness came off but the outline of where it had been remained. It’s since died, and we’ve moved, so I’m ok now and have finally moved on from my hatred of currys 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now