Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My back has gone and seized up again is there anything that can actually be done?

(29 Posts)
CarHelp Sun 25-Feb-18 11:38:11

The drs just give pain relief.

The physio talks for a few minutes, prints off the same old exercises and sends me on my way (exercises that I do and are obviously not making a blind bit of difference)

My back is in spasm - it wants me to curl up into a ball - can't straiten up at all. Please don't tell be to walk - I've done that every time it happens, but it's hard work and makes bo difference.

I can't keep having this happen for the rest of my life. I bent forwards this time hmm

PuppyMonkey Sun 25-Feb-18 11:45:02

Keep doing the curling up into a ball while lying on your back, then roll slightly from side to side to massage it.

Do you know any yoga? There’s a move where you sort of so what a cat does, on all fours arch your back then try and do the opposite stretch down so you’re back is the opposite way round. Hard to explain but it’ll be on google.

Helps me!

Martyngibson Sun 25-Feb-18 11:48:51

I would recommend an osteopath

CarHelp Sun 25-Feb-18 11:50:32

I've been trying yoga.

I can do the cat stretch, but can't hollow my back. I get no sick pay, so can't be off sad

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 25-Feb-18 11:51:25

CarHelp Sun 25-Feb-18 11:51:32

I have tried an osteopath, but haven't been convinced that it helps long term. I can't afford one anyway

Mishappening Sun 25-Feb-18 11:52:58

Your problem is the muscles - most docs provide valium, to be taken sparingly and short term, but it relaxes the muscles and lets you get moving around, which is the best treatment.

PuppyMonkey Sun 25-Feb-18 11:54:21

You may not be able to do the hollow right now but just keep trying ever so gently, easing it gradually so you stretch a little more each time you try.

CarHelp Sun 25-Feb-18 11:56:12

I've enough Valium to start a drug gang.

The muscles are the spasm, but I think there's something underlying.

I've been googling facet joints - it's the only thing that fits what happens. Something locks, I get intense pain, then my back goes into spasm.

picklemepopcorn Sun 25-Feb-18 11:57:46

Ibuprofen at the first sign of any stiffness removes underlying inflammation so the muscles don't spasm to protect the joint.

VimFuego101 Sun 25-Feb-18 11:58:28

What meds did they give you? Metaxalone (I'm in the US but assume it's available elsewhere) stops the spasms so I can actually walk normally and untwist myself. Can you ask for an anti spasmodic medication?

JaneEyre70 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:06:14

My discs are fusing together and no cushion left in between them, and I would get days/weeks of not being able to move and just led crying on the lounge floor. I'm funny with opiates, so GP prescribed diclofenac and naproxen. I tried an osteopath, chiropracter, physio.... you name it. And nothing stopped it.
Then I got a cocker spaniel. We walk around 4-5 miles a day. And I've not had one episode of back pain since I've been doing it in nearly 5 years. You need to strengthen the muscles that are going into spasm, so try to find a way that works for you if you say walking doesn't help. Rest initially, let the painkillers kick in and then try to get moving. Swimming or walking up and down the pool works well too.

noeffingidea Sun 25-Feb-18 12:15:49

Yoga is recommended for back pain, I think pilates is supposed to be particularly effective. It's not just doing one or two exercises though, it's about strenthening the abdominal core, so that the spine is held in the correct position.
Something else I have heard of is walking on rough uneven grassy areas. It helps to get it all back into shape again.
Also check out your matress and chair/sofa that you sit on. Are they firm enough to give you the proper support, or are they old and saggy.

CarHelp Sun 25-Feb-18 17:57:31

I've been given some Naproxen. I took one about 50 minutes ago and am starting to feel a bit queezy and strange confused

I hope they're not like cocodamol- they make me sick sad

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 18:00:39

Christ don’t do yoga with a nacky back! Pilates is ok though. My back is just wrong so I pop/squish and tear disks fairly often and have a lot of back aches.

Osteopathy works for me (fast and 1 or 2 sessions) - chiropractic, physiology and horse knock out pills just didn’t work at all.

CarHelp Sun 25-Feb-18 18:00:47

My mattress is not good
It's happened 3 times at this time of year - I wonder if that just coincidence
I have definitely been going through some bad times when it's happened / feeling a bit down or depressed - wonder if there's s connection there.
I have started some yoga exercises (dvd), but think I need to do it a lot longer to build strength
I definitely need to lose weight. Thing is, it's only piled on since my back went the first time confused

CarHelp Sun 25-Feb-18 18:01:27

Yoga is bad, then? Eek

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 18:02:10

I once popped a disk through stress! All the tension and lack of sleep (plus your posture goes to pot when you are stressed).

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 18:03:30

Yoga hurts - my osteo and chirp both said it wasn’t great as bending, twisting and the leans put pressure on the back and if your back isn’t great it just aggravates it. I’ve not had any problems with Pilates though.

PragmaticWench Sun 25-Feb-18 18:06:25

Yoga will cause you to extend beyond where you are strong enough to, you need Pilates a few times a week. A physio-lead Pilates class is best if you can find one, so you learn correct technique.

It's all about core strength and also flexibility.

User5trillion Sun 25-Feb-18 18:08:36

I used to have a bad back, I definitely noticed a link between stressful times and the amount of pain. What helped me was strong painkillers and anti inflammatories. Losing weight - I was 5st over my ideal weight and swimming - EVERY SINGLE DAY. I did spinal rehab with the nhs, made it flair up! Now the moment it gets sore I start swimming again and do loads of hamstring stretches, I am sure too much sitting causes muscle tightness leading to pulling my back out of alignment. Yoga helps when its not in crisis. You have my sympathy, worse thing I have ever endured.

DullAndOld Sun 25-Feb-18 18:08:38

I would recommend visiting an osteopath.
Not a chiropractor a proper osteopath.
It will be pricey but money well spent.

borntobequiet Sun 25-Feb-18 18:22:08

Has no one suggested the underlying cause? No one told me and it was eventually from a thread on here that I realised I had an unstable SI joint (where the spine joins the pelvis). After that I was able to find suitable exercises that helped a lot. I'm not suggesting you have this, but that it might be worth seeing someone who will give you a diagnosis and some real help. Your physio sounds fairly useless - unless she is right about the exercises but you are not doing them properly...

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 18:23:46

I had had an X-ray years ago so know what the problem was but my osteo knew by looking at the way I stood and bent over what it was. I knew then that the woman was a bloody genius!

borntobequiet Sun 25-Feb-18 18:25:48

And get a new mattress. Really. That might do the trick. As might checking to see if your legs are different lengths and if so getting an orthotic insole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now