Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How Much Has World Book Day Cost You?

(211 Posts)
BigFishy Sun 25-Feb-18 01:11:23

Just curious really.
I could have cobbled together quite a good costume for my dc, with stuff they already owned. However, school decided to go with a space theme and we didn't have anything suitable.

Have bought an outfit for just under £7. I reckon the shops must love World Book Day. How much have you spent?

EdwardTheBlueEngine Sun 25-Feb-18 01:22:34

I've put my foot down this year and its a reused (and rather short!) costume or nothing. Promoting a love of reading is one thing, but this has turned into another consumer circus, where we are supposed to buy new costumes every year.

Sorry OP - rant over!

Allgirlskidsanddogs Sun 25-Feb-18 01:25:38

Harry Potter robes £27, early birthday present that I’d have had to buy in a month anyway.

Other DD, £12 in fabric, leggings £10 and tee £5 that will be used again, then she changed her mind and bought her own £4 wings to be used with legg8ngs and tee.

Callamia Sun 25-Feb-18 01:40:07

£6 for a metre of felt that I’ve used about a third of.
The rest: cardboard from a delivery box, paint we already had.

demirose87 Sun 25-Feb-18 01:48:13

£4.99 costume from Aldi for DD. DS already has a Harry Potter costume from last year. I refuse to spend money on this and with four kids I don't have time to be making costumes. Luckily the youngest two are too young to take part.

ChishandFips33 Sun 25-Feb-18 02:02:03

No children but completely sympathise...just another 'thing' to get you to spend money on though some of the costumes are great made worse by schools removing free choice

I'd prefer to spend the money on books for my children or donate to school to improve their library

ChocolateDoll Sun 25-Feb-18 02:03:14

£11 on a nice, fluffy warm onesie.

Our school are doing PJs. Honest to god. Weather forecast of -9 in the daytime, and they want us to send them in PJs angry

RainbowGlitterFairy Sun 25-Feb-18 02:06:27

DD's costume came to £8 but £6 of that is new leggings she needed anyway (just had a growth spurt)
Mine has cost £2.50 and several hours making.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 25-Feb-18 05:14:20

£11 for a Wonder Woman outfit, reduced In Sainsbury's, DD is so chuffed.

Hmmalittlefishy Sun 25-Feb-18 05:21:18

£8 for dd2 because despite having a box of dressing up clothes school decided to choose a theme which we don't have a costume for angry but now it's arrived its too big so will either need altering or she will wear something else
£8 for the baby because the costume was so cute and I couldn't resist! blush

BitOfFun Sun 25-Feb-18 05:34:22

Absolutely nowt. When dd1 had to do it, she went as Hermione in a slightly adapted school uniform; I refused to participate with dd2 as she was too LD to get the point.

I am a huge advocate of children being enthused to read, but no fan of enforced fancy dress jollity. It does nothing to promote reading, and the fact that most costumes relate to TV or movies only enforces my scepticism.

Bearsinmotion Sun 25-Feb-18 05:39:44

DD has a set of stories to choose from. One is Goldilocks. She has long blonde hair and a large collection of teddies. I’m thinking pretty dress, plaits and three different sized beard, job done! bear

SunnySeaShell Sun 25-Feb-18 06:18:24

£2.99 for a new hairband for DD to go with last years costume which she loved.

Also £17.00 for DS but I had tesco vouchers to cover it so kind of free

I hate world book day

Meandmy4 Sun 25-Feb-18 06:19:44

Nothing ! I am Putting both my ds in a cardbord rectangle and they are going as book marks ! ... can decorate it as they please grin

Ive been so so fortunate this year for both <faints... gets bk up> Ds costumes were given to them x

maskingtape Sun 25-Feb-18 06:31:54

Try being the teacher! I'm paying to go to work that day!

fraggle84 Sun 25-Feb-18 06:47:20

Ds School has the best idea!

No dressing up

We’ve been asked to wrap up a book that they enjoy and write clues on the gift tag. They’ll all swop stories and have a reading afternoon

EsmeeMerlin Sun 25-Feb-18 06:57:45

My ds hates fancy dress so is going to school in jeans and a Paddington shirt he already has from Sainsbury's. Last year he just wore a Gruffalo shirt.

cliffdiver Sun 25-Feb-18 07:01:20

£12 for DD1 (Little Red Riding Hood - fairy tail theme - costume from Sainsbury's when they were doing 25% off all clothes).

DD2 is wearing a dragon (Puff The Magic Dragon - Nursery rhyme theme) onesie, it was a Christmas present for DD2 c. 4 years ago.

I also have to dress up, still no idea what to go as!

cliffdiver Sun 25-Feb-18 07:01:44

Fairy Tale blush

BetterEatCheese Sun 25-Feb-18 07:03:16

£12.50 on a bear onesie which will definitely be used again. I made a deal with Dd that she could get a new (second hand) outfit as long as it was something she will use again, not just a fancy dress outfit as she doesn't really dress up much anymore.

The school went with a rather narrow theme which hasn't gone down well with some parents

mumonashoestring Sun 25-Feb-18 07:05:39

This os one thing I love about DS's school - they're very conscious there are some v low income families in the area and dressing up for things like this is always optional, never themed.

This time round it hasn't cost us anything - he's got an outfit that happens to fit what he wants to go as. I was seriously tempted by the £14 Zog costumes in Asda though grin

BluebellTheDonkey Sun 25-Feb-18 07:08:05

@HollyBollyBooBoo ah that well know book character Wonder Womanhmm See this is where it makes me cross, it becomes more about dressing up as any old character and less about a book. Kind of defeats the object.
Mine is recycled from last year, I have cat ears and tail from being cat in the hat, so this year I am going to dress in black and be Slinky Malinki. My DS is going as a boy from the Switch books, I have bought him a t shirt with a chameleon on which links to the book, he'll wear that again anyway.

PragmaticWench Sun 25-Feb-18 07:08:16

Nothing as the reception classes don't dress up, just take in a book for the book-swap if they want to, or their favourite book to read.

I've heard of schools that just have children wearing their pyjamas as all children will have those, so no pressure for those on low incomes.

Happygolucky009 Sun 25-Feb-18 07:08:42

£6 for 2 x where's wally tops and hats.

Normally I spend a fortune, buying new costumes which never see the light of day again but last year I decided to buy the outfits 2nd hand after world book day !!!!!

IggyAce Sun 25-Feb-18 07:12:27

Nothing this year our school have decided not to do the world book day circus. However they have are doing themed days. KS2 did Roald Dahl day in September, so spent £8 on night wear for DD to be Sophie.
Foundation did Winnie the pooh day and KS1 will have a Hans Christian Andersen/traditional tales day in April. I've said to ds he can go as Jack as it was his favourite story when younger so will just use some of his slightly too small clothes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: