Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DH had anaphylaxis and I'm so scared

(151 Posts)
quickienc Sat 24-Feb-18 22:27:33

DH had anaphylaxis tonight. He's in hospital THANK GOD but over 200 miles away. I feel terrible that I can't be with him, and don't know what's going on. Its breaking me.

quickienc Sat 24-Feb-18 22:37:18

God, I've got to phone his parents. I think I'm going to vomit.

MummySparkle Sat 24-Feb-18 22:39:19

Oh goodness quick. Do you want to talk about what happened?

quickienc Sat 24-Feb-18 22:45:02

Thanks. I don't really know. He has a food allergy which he reckons is mild and he's not super careful about avoiding trace amounts. So I'm guessing that suddenly get worse.
He was out with friends, and I've heard briefly from one of them and from the hospital. But hardly any details, just that "he should be okay". They said he can't talk to me now, and I don't know if that means he's in a coma or something.

RandomMess Sat 24-Feb-18 22:47:37

He could be ventilated to stop his throat/airways closing up sad?

Every time you expose yourself to an allergen your reaction usually gets worse!

I hope he recovers quickly and you're ok, what a really nasty shock thanks

Mishappening Sat 24-Feb-18 22:50:24

Well thank heavens he got speedy treatment - what a worry for you.

Maybe formulate your questions for the hospital (e.g. why can he not speak to me at present? Is he intubated? Is he on the main ward or intensive care etc.?) and then ring again.

It looks as though plans should be made for an epipen for the future.

So sorry you are going through all this.

Borderterrierpuppy Sat 24-Feb-18 22:54:43

Can you go there? You won't be happy until you see him x

GummyGoddess Sat 24-Feb-18 22:55:47

His mouth and tongue could be swollen which is why he can't talk right now? Can you call the hospital and get clarification?

quickienc Sat 24-Feb-18 22:56:09

I can't stop googling.

Ventilated, you reckon? sad

I just feel so overwhelmed with not knowing what order to do things in. And no one is answering the number the woman from the hospital gave me, and I so want to check how he's doing.
actually, I want to get in the car and drive all night until I see him, but the kids are asleep and I don't want to traumatise them.

GummyGoddess Sat 24-Feb-18 23:03:31

What's the number for? Can you google the switchboard number instead? If it was life threatening I'm sure his friends would call and the hospital would have told you to get there asap.

He's probably swollen and in pain but fine, he's not alone if his friends are there.

quickienc Sat 24-Feb-18 23:12:15

\err,yes, embarrassingly I wrote the number down wrong that she gave me.
But now I'm on hold.
His friend who rang me isn't answering which hopefully means he's with him so he's not alone, as you say.
I'm at home with kids including our bf baby and he's the other end of the country. I wouldn't get there until morning. But its awful sitting here.

I've lost someone very close to me before and I feel agonisingly back in that place again.

ChasedByBees Sat 24-Feb-18 23:20:51

I hope he’s OK OP. flowers

quickienc Sat 24-Feb-18 23:38:49

thanks, bees.

For anyone around who's medical... He's had adrenaline but now just IV fluids. He might be getting steroids. They had to "secure his airway" - does that mean ventilation? He's on oxygen but conscious and stable.

Fuck, I just want to go there. He must be so scared.

littlebillie Sat 24-Feb-18 23:46:54

I had a anaphylactic shock a few years ago the hospital were brilliant.

The shock of it for him and you will take a while to get over I hope all is well for you both tonight

Gibble1 Sat 24-Feb-18 23:48:31

Securing his airway doesn’t necessarily mean intubation. It just means that they have to ensure he has a safe airway. That might be his own airway, a nasal airway which is like a softish bendyish tube that goes in his nose and down to his throat, an oral pharyngeal airway which is hard plastic and goes in his mouth and holds his airway open or intubation. Lots of different levels of airway management.
It sounds as though they have given him adrenaline and steroids which have stabilised him and now he is on oxygen to support his breathing.
If he’s not on ITU or still in A&E he won’t be ventilated though as other areas won’t have the staff or facilities to look after ventilated patients.

Megs4x3 Sat 24-Feb-18 23:51:45

What a worry for you. My DH had an episode a few years ago and it was very scary. That said, if your OH is in hospital he's in the right place. 'Securing his airway' simply means making sure he can breathe, not necessarily that he's on a ventilator. Not being able to talk to you right now probably means that his mouth and throat is too swollen for him to speak clearly or be understood. It took my DH about 24 hours to have a normal speaking voice. If he's had adrenaline he's likely on the mend already, and it's good he has a friend with him. He's much more likely to be OK than not having got to the hospital and treatment. Try to get some rest if you can. When he gets home he'll feel fragile and need some TLC for a day or two.

trixymalixy Sat 24-Feb-18 23:55:04

My DS has had several anaphylactic shocks and ended up in hospital. He’s been pretty seriously unwell but never had to have his “airway secured “.

Don’t want to worry you, but that sounds pretty serious. Can you get someone to watch the kids? I would get down there.

GummyGoddess Sat 24-Feb-18 23:55:59

It probably does mean that, but he's awake and stable so focus on the good aspects of the current situation. He is alive and conscious as well as being very closely monitored and he isn't alone.

If you do need to go and get him tomorrow, you need to sleep. Leave your telephone on loud by the bed and try your very best to get some sleep. I hope you get a better update soon that can put your mind at rest that he's going to be alright.

quickienc Sat 24-Feb-18 23:58:01

Thank you so much for the sympathy and informed explanations.

He's in intensive care but there is a (blood, I think?) test they're waiting on, and from the results they might then be able to move him.
I tried to make notes but it was hard to concentrate on the details.

I just can't bear all this and I know that sounds pathetic. I've been good in a crisis in the past but being so far away and knowing so little makes it so much worse.

And his parents are getting in the car but whether they are coming here or starting the long drive to where he is I'm not even sure.

quickienc Sun 25-Feb-18 00:04:17

There's no way I can sleep, but I'm resting in bed.

I love DH so much and I'm so scared.

quickienc Sun 25-Feb-18 00:08:11

Believe me trixie I would go if I could. I've been looking at the route there for ages.

IntelligentYetIndecisive Sun 25-Feb-18 00:08:22

"Securing his airways" could mean CPAP or some other sort of oxygen mask, not necessarily intubation.

I suffer from an allergy which causes anaphylaxis, but the trigger is a drug, not a commonly encountered food.

Look after yourself first OP, your children need you.

Lukeandlorelai4Ever Sun 25-Feb-18 00:09:02

flowers

CassandraCross Sun 25-Feb-18 00:25:24

If you do go to him, please don't drive all on your own - you are upset and distressed please take someone with you and preferably let them drive.

Your husband is in the right place and he will be taken good care of, you need to take care of yourself too.

I know how awful it is not knowing exactly what's happening, waiting and trying to find out information. Thoughts are with you flowers

differentnameforthis Sun 25-Feb-18 00:29:15

He has a food allergy which he reckons is mild and he's not super careful about avoiding trace amounts. So I'm guessing that suddenly get worse. It won't have suddenly got worse. If he hasn't been careful about it, the repeated exposure will have started to make his allergy worsen, leading to the anaphylaxis.

I hope he is OK, op.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: