Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

“Meet me at McDonalds” haircut

(99 Posts)
PuppyMonkey Sat 24-Feb-18 10:45:30

A friend’s DS has just had his hair done like the pic - the pic is not him but it looks v similar. She posted on FB and now everyone’s linking to all the stories about schools banning this cut.confused

Nobody seems to be able to explain why this haircut is so bad to have in school or why it’s called the Meet Me at McDonalds cut, so I need one of you lot to enlighten me. confusedgrin

Fabellini Sat 24-Feb-18 10:46:54

No help to you at all, but back in the 80s all the boys I fancied had this haircut grin

LondonHereICome Sat 24-Feb-18 10:47:13

Oh god, that's exactly the style my ds has been trying to create!!!

He's not got curly hair so it's resulted with a floppy, in his eyes, too long fringe!

PuppyMonkey Sat 24-Feb-18 10:48:23

This attempts to explain it without success

LondonHereICome Sat 24-Feb-18 10:48:26

Might be because the back is shaved close but even then, it grows back so bloody quick

PuppyMonkey Sat 24-Feb-18 10:50:57

Sorry just saw the other thread on this, I did look before I posted blush

Waffles80 Sat 24-Feb-18 10:51:06

One of my students has just had his hair permed so it’ll go curly on the top - shaved short at the sides.

I think it looks ace.

Sarsparella Sat 24-Feb-18 10:53:23

I don’t understand why schools care so much about a haircut, it’s not hurting anyone and wtf has it got to do with McDonalds confused

tiredteddy Sat 24-Feb-18 10:54:00

I can’t see what’s extreme about that hair style ?

PerfectlyDone Sat 24-Feb-18 10:56:27

Oh feck, that is pretty much my haircut! shockgrin

And I don't even like McDonald's... <sadface>

Why is it getting banned? It is not particularly extreme or anything. Weird. It's just hair.

LucyMorningStar Sat 24-Feb-18 10:57:32

As an ex-teacher I can say that when you see a boy with this haircut you just know he's gonna be a pita. And 95% it turns out to be true.
Now I don't know why it's being banned as the haircut doesn't turn good boys into little (or big) shits. If anything it helps distinguish one kind from the other 😁
However, I have known a few boys who will spend most of class time faffing with their hair...
Not helpful at all, sorry!

BikeRunSki Sat 24-Feb-18 10:57:54

This was a fairly standard haircut at my school in the 1980s. Tbh there were more things to worry about like massive truancy, drugs and a teacher being stabbed by a ninja star thrown across the classroom.

MissionItsPossible Sat 24-Feb-18 10:59:34

It’s dem roadman haircut. Kids peep kids n settle it outside a McDonalds. Apparently? confused

PuppyMonkey Sat 24-Feb-18 11:02:34

I must admit, I had a friend with very similar hair to this at school. It really suited her. grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 24-Feb-18 11:12:48

I have a 16 year old DS and thankfully nobody in his friendship group has that haircut. It's not great is it?

TeenTimesTwo Sat 24-Feb-18 11:15:24

In theory it wouldn't be allowed at my DD's comp.
Rules about
- no shave less than a #2
- hair of generally similar length throughout.
In practice provided the shaved bit isn't too drastic it would probably be allowed. Unless there are also patterns in the shaved bit which is a definite no.

ParadiseCity Sat 24-Feb-18 11:17:33

There could be a spate of them

Bother me at Burger King
See you at Subway
Find me at Frankie and Benny

Cancel KFC wink

CaptainCardamom Sat 24-Feb-18 11:18:57

Ugh I hate it when schools get ridiculous about haircuts. Unless it has a swastika shaved into it or something else actually legally objectionable, why make a fuss - just accept kids want to express themselves and show them some respect. Acting like this (totally daft) haircut somehow affects their morality or learning will just make kids think even less of teachers.

Yes they look daft, that's what teenagers do FFS.

Isadora2007 Sat 24-Feb-18 11:21:54

I don’t understand schools getting involved with hairstyles at all. Teens thrive on drama and pushing against authority and following trends. So banning a hairstyle feeds all three of those teen issues unnecessarily. Unless the hair is a danger eg long loose hair in a science or tech lab or during PE then leave them to it and respect their autonomy.

CaptainCardamom Sat 24-Feb-18 11:22:06

Kids at my DC school can have shaved and dyed hair, and boys can have long hair. It's the best state school in the area for results and has a really nice atmosphere and ethos.

It's like that other school where a girl shaved her head for charity then was put in isolation hmm

ReelingLush18 Sat 24-Feb-18 11:22:45

I was aghast when I read the same thing, OP. Agree that it was popular in the 80s too. As contrived haircuts go, I can think of many that are much worse!

MissionItsPossible Sat 24-Feb-18 11:23:43

I left school in 2004 and people had all sorts of hairstyles (dyes and extensions) and piercings throughout senior school and it wasn’t an issue. Why is it now? confused

Backingvocals Sat 24-Feb-18 11:25:32

Love that the Cool kids are sporting a Tears for Fears haircut - nothing could be less cool grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 24-Feb-18 11:26:20

YY Tears for Fears. grin They both had awful hair.

CaptainCardamom Sat 24-Feb-18 11:28:55

As an ex-teacher I can say that when you see a boy with this haircut you just know he's gonna be a pita. And 95% it turns out to be true.

Well possibly because schools use hair as a big issue to fuss over so kids who want to be rebellious will use that. And there's the self-fulfilling prophecy aspect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now