Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Must Have Items for Sun Holiday with Young Children

(24 Posts)
mommathatwearspink Fri 23-Feb-18 21:57:25

Going to Majorca in June with DD (4) and DS (1). We've never been on holiday with the children before so apart from the obvious items, what are your must have items for a sun holiday with children please?

noenergy Fri 23-Feb-18 22:04:16

Sunscreen
Flip flops or water shoes
Sunsafe or wetsuit type swimwear as avoids sunburn
Sun hat
Sunglasses

MotherforkingShirtballs Fri 23-Feb-18 22:04:41

Talc/baby powder for removing sand. Sprinkle it on, wait a couple of seconds, and then it wipes off with no rubbing.

noenergy Fri 23-Feb-18 22:09:37

@MotherforkingShirtballs I hate sand and will try this next time, I avoid the beach and stay at the pool.

tenpencemixup Fri 23-Feb-18 22:10:11

Sling/carrier for the airport
Ipad for the plane

Withhindsight Fri 23-Feb-18 22:11:04

Plan the plane- change of everything in hand luggage, including you in case they vom etc on you. Spare nappies, inc for 4 yo in case toilets ooo or he desperate when seatbelt signs are on. Baby wipes and sanitiser for fold down trays. In flight meal for 4 yo to soak some time up. Something to suck on take off/ landing for their ear drums. Consider tablet for 4 yo although short flight, perhaps cbbc type mag with new toy stuck to it, some twistable crayons, no Ned to worry about end snapping, something to draw on, a favourite cuddly, perhaps one toy car, easily picked off floor. Snacks ready to whip out and entertain. Lots of people hate trunkies, but we found they kept small ones in a good mood at check in etc. Take calpol sachets, small floating toys for the pool, travel wash- at that age we got thro loads of kids clothes with spag bog on them at every single meal, we could easily have got thro 2 pairs shorts a day per child, spot washing worked well. Have a ball

Leeds2 Fri 23-Feb-18 22:12:48

Swim nappies.
Inflatables for the pool. You can buy them there quite cheaply, and leave behind if too much to bring home.
Parasol for the buggy.

WillSheBeMyLast Fri 23-Feb-18 22:13:53

Reins! Even if it just attaches to your wrist, when I went I was constantly trying to hold 101 things and hold my little girls hand at the same time. Even if you take a pushchair you may not always want to take it where with you.

MotherforkingShirtballs Fri 23-Feb-18 22:16:45

If your room has a fridge with a freezer compartment then put bottles of water in it overnight. Next morning you'll have bottles that are frozen solid and will gradually defrost over the course of the day giving you ice water all day long.

fabulous01 Fri 23-Feb-18 22:19:19

Take Piriton in advance
And the flexi cool spray for prickly heat

Both a godsend

Ilovemalteaserbunnies Fri 23-Feb-18 22:20:28

Gin.

elQuintoConyo Fri 23-Feb-18 22:20:45

Go to a Chinese bazaar off the main drag and get buckets and spades. I have seen some Spaniards with small round paddling pools for 1year olds filled either with sea water or from the showers. Plonk baby next to you while other parent plays with older dc, swap.

If you can fit it in your luggage, take a bag for life or two, or a big blue ikea bag for beach bits. Easier to carry one giant bag of stuff. You could sling the baby to the beach rather than buggy as it'd get stuck in the sand.

Those hooded towels for dc are fabulous.

If you tale a favourite toy or a special thing that they fall asleep with, try and attach it to something - wrist, pushchair etc. Or all hell will break loose if/when they drop it!

My son loved havi g new interesting things to play with, but also loved some familiar toys - the odd car or two, his little pencilcase of felt pens etc.

Before every holiday i save up €1/€2 coins so we can splurge on mechanical rides and arcade games. I have a fabulous video of our 4yo playing whack-a-mole!

mommathatwearspink Sat 24-Feb-18 11:40:25

Thank you everyone, your advise is really helpful!

mommathatwearspink Sat 24-Feb-18 11:40:41

*advice

Mormont Sat 24-Feb-18 11:47:06

Instead of a suitcase one of you use a rucksack for luggage. When you get there empty it out and use it for carrying all of the paraphernalia to the beach - hands free and easier to carry than a big bag that weighs down and knocks around your legs.

Foslady Sat 24-Feb-18 12:21:51

Calpol in case of sun stroke/ear infections, couple of plasters in handbag zippy bit,
And a water pistol!!!!!!

Wifeofapostie Sat 24-Feb-18 14:30:50

Balloons!! All kiddies love them, they don't weigh anything, you can blow a couple up each day at the pool, in your room, tie one to the buggy ect they are great for getting kids to play together too

LBOCS2 Sat 24-Feb-18 14:33:54

Seconding the sling. It's sometimes a long way from the plane to baggage reclaim and carrying a toddler is a big pain - much easier to strap them to you and have your hands free for hand luggage/trolley/older child/all the other crap you have to lug around with you.

YY to sun vests, calpol in sachets, talc for sand, and the balloon idea is pure genius - I'll be stealing that for our next holiday!

ineedwine99 Sat 24-Feb-18 14:36:13

Following. Been abroad with our daughter but she was little, next hol she’ll be 20m so these tips are great, especially the baby powder one grin

JigglyTuff Sat 24-Feb-18 14:40:36

Take a couple of bin bags - one to use as a laundry bag while you're away - then you can just chuck it in the case to go home and one to put your wet things in if you have time for a swim on the last day

DullAndOld Sat 24-Feb-18 14:41:17

a little first aid kit to keep in your handbag/pocket, with antiseptic spray or tcp, wipes, plasters, sachets of calpol.

Lots and lots of long sleeved t shirts but be prepared to wash some out and hang on the balcony.

Lots of snacks for the plane.

Any kind of little toy.

MachineBee Sat 24-Feb-18 14:42:27

Fuzzy felt for game on plane are brilliant. Non-sticky, not noisy and lightweight. And if you don’t have it, it’ll have novelty value.

Ditto to talc.

I’d also take extra t-shirts - sometimes they are more comfortable (and cheaper) than sunscreen swimming suits.

JigglyTuff Sat 24-Feb-18 14:46:44

I always buy stuff from Poundland for the plane. It doesn't matter if you drop it or lose it, and you can produce a new exciting piece of tat every time one of them looks like they're getting restless.

And second or third getting those UV suits for them. Then you only need to worry about their extremities - so much easier. I also only now take those microfibre towels from Decathlon on holiday - they dry quickly and are much lighter and smaller than ordinary beach towels. They have non-fluffy ones which all the Spanish use on the beach.

Oh and a couple of ziplock bags to put your stuff it to stop it getting covered in sand

whosafraidofabigduckfart Sat 24-Feb-18 14:51:33

When it’s hot your 4 year old will be begging for the buggy so might be handy to have a sling/carrier for 1 year old.

UV long sleeve rash vests.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: