Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If up have gallstones, have you changed your diet?

(10 Posts)
JamesDelayneysTattoos Fri 23-Feb-18 21:43:33

Just been diagnosed after attending A&e on Tuesday. Waiting for surgeon to contact me now.

Do you need to change your diet? If so, is low fat best? Tia

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Fri 23-Feb-18 21:47:59

You just eat what you can and what won't trigger an attack. Fat free is advisable but as you wait for your surgery you may find other foods become triggers - I did with mine and also found morphine used to manage the pain set off spasms of the bile duct. You have my utmost sympathy they're awful things.

Cagliostro Fri 23-Feb-18 21:51:41

I didn’t, but mine was only a very mild case (not that it felt bloody mild, I was also sent to a&e the first time) as is common after pregnancy. I did a bit of reading at the time though and it seems there are mixed views about whether low fat is actually best, some people say it is totally individual what actually sets off an attack. I spoke to one person who by the time they had surgery could barely eat anything but certain types of biscuits without an attack. Lots of people said that salads triggered attacks.

My dad is having surgery soon for his and the doctor told him not to worry about changing his diet in the meantime.

I’m eating normally now - actually I try and eat fairly high fat as this helped me lose weight during and after the pregnancy - and only had the initial two attacks at 3/4 weeks after birth (now 18 weeks and thankfully nothing else so far), but as I said for me it seems to have been a very mild case. When I had the scan after the second attack they said there was only one very small stone (not sure if the attack actually resulted in a bigger stone passing out). My gallbladder was inflamed though.

ADuckNamedSplash Fri 23-Feb-18 22:24:25

Yes. A low fat diet isn't completely foolproof - sometimes I get an attack out of the blue - but it's certainly made a big difference to me while I wait for surgery. A few tips based on what has worked for me:

- Try to leave at least 3 hours between eating

- Don't have your evening meal too late and don't eat anything between that and going to bed. If you're up in the night for any reason, don't eat

- Try to figure out your threshold for fat, but remember it could go down as you get worse. I worked out I could tolerate around 15g of fat per meal without getting an attack - it's now around 13g.

- If you're not already on antacids, get some prescribed. They're most effective when taken first thing in the morning

- Buscopan Cramps seems to put a stop to the more mild attacks (unfortunately it has no effect on the severe ones)

- Painkillers have had little to no effect for me, but taking a very hot bath during an attack offers a little relief. Ideally take a cold drink in with you - the heat has made me feel faint a couple of times

Hope you get your op soon - it's horrible! I'm still 3 weeks away from mine.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Fri 23-Feb-18 22:31:49

Thank you all. I actually have no appetite at all, I need to lose 3 stone, I know my heart wasn’t in the diet but no need for this. 🙈

I’ve forced myself to eat half a piece of fish and half a bowl of porridge today. I’m drinking plenty though.

A hot bath did ease the attack whilst I was in the water, straight back when I got out, much like labour really. 😂😳

Ok, thank you, I’ll just eat little when I can.

Cagliostro Fri 23-Feb-18 22:38:41

I ended up using my tens machine on mine 😳 didn’t stop the pain exactly but was a useful distraction! I have buscopan prescribed now but haven’t had to use it yet. Early days really it could still happen again

Crunched Fri 23-Feb-18 22:48:27

I was told I would need surgery 19 years ago but have avoided it so far. My top tip is to eat regularly. If I skip lunch for example my gallstones begin to moan/ache. Even a small snack helps.

Ledkr Fri 23-Feb-18 22:50:23

I did but I was having such severe attacks it was an easy choice.
I had one once from two bites of a Jaffa cake hmm best thing I ever did was having it out

goose1964 Fri 23-Feb-18 22:57:46

low fat works for me , I've had one op cancelled and am waiting for another

ADuckNamedSplash Sat 24-Feb-18 08:54:53

Yeah, you should have no trouble losing weight now - the incentive of avoiding an attack is far better motivation than any diet I've ever been on! Mind you, I've also got a list of foods I'm looking forward to indulging in once I've had the surgery!

Interesting to hear that the TENS machine is useful - I did wonder about getting one!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: