Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you had £100 as a Birthday present

(24 Posts)
Enko Fri 23-Feb-18 21:38:44

Its my birthday on Thursday and my dad has sent me £100..

I have the day off but no one to spend it with. My best friend lives overseas and 2 close friends 1 is 3 hours away the other its her dd's birthday on my birthday too so she is not usually available to do anything..

I don't know what to do with myself.. I looked into going for a massage or a beauty treatment (I like stuff like that) but i cant get enthusiastic about it.. Wondered about a shopping trip but it seems a bit sad to do that on my own.

I guess Im also just getting very aware that I dont have many friends around near by anymore they are spread around all over the world.. I would like someone saying " hey its your birthday want to do lunch"

mercurymaze Fri 23-Feb-18 21:41:34

Ooh happy birthday ! How old will u be ? I would personally go to the pics

SingaSong12 Fri 23-Feb-18 21:50:34

For your birthday could you go to an art gallery or museum. I don't mind doing that alone - I can go at my own pace and stay with one painting for a long time, or go through a gallery because I don't like it. If you like that perhaps use money for tickets.

Alternatively could you go put for breakfast, but then treat the day as just a day off and spend the money later getting together your friends.

strawberrysparkle Fri 23-Feb-18 21:51:29

I would treat myself to some nice coffee and cake at Starbucks and my nails doing or hair

Enko Fri 23-Feb-18 22:45:29

nails is a no go as I may not wear nail varnish at work sad

I don't really want to go up to London its a bit of a faff to do on my own and I suspect the kids will want us to have dinner later when they are home...

I still haven't worked it out and I am late 40s

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 23-Feb-18 22:55:21

I'd buy a pressure cooker (I'm coveting one ) because I'm just a bit sad grin

(I don't do beauty/nails/alcohol)

Chocolateteabag Fri 23-Feb-18 22:56:20

Art or craft course? Maybe too late for your day off though.
My DM is doing a water colour painting day in a few weeks - £50-60 which includes lunch
Spend the day with a good book or magazines cafe hopping?
Go for a charity shop hunt (if you have good shops near you)
Go to a national trust house (or similar) and have a proper look round without kids
Sort out your wardrobe and spend the £100 online shopping?

carinwashingmachine Fri 23-Feb-18 22:58:22

Do you like reading? Browsing in a good book shop picking out some goodnew things?

I do think the massage idea sounds nice. Maybe at a place that has a spa you can access before or after?

Or going to the cinema by yourself (I love doing this) but for £100 that's a lot of popcorn wink

ElanorGamgee Fri 23-Feb-18 23:03:11

I always buy myself something to keep when people give me cash.

Last £100 bought me this.

Enko Fri 23-Feb-18 23:13:41

I guess I do somehow feel I should buy something to " keep" but the things I want actually cost more than £100 and I dont really want to put " my" birthday money from my dad towards a new fridge/freezer smile

I do like reading but I have 5 books on my kindle waiting and 2 real books..

The craft course is a good idea but yes may be a bit too late..

Devonishome1 Fri 23-Feb-18 23:47:20

I’d put it towards a Philips Lumea!😆

Chatterbitch Sat 24-Feb-18 00:03:51

I'd buy fancy make up. You can wear it every day, it would last a while and I always feel better when I've got it on.

SleepySheepy Sat 24-Feb-18 00:12:36

I would buy a big lego house because I'm a big kid and spend my birthday building it grin

ScreamingValenta Sat 24-Feb-18 00:21:36

I don't think a solo shopping trip is sad. On the contrary, it's much more fun when you don't have to hover around while your companion ums and ahs over things; or wait round outside changing rooms; or feel guilty if you're the one doing the umming and ahhing while your companion taps their foot, or feel embarrassed about returning to the first shop you went in.

LittleLights Sat 24-Feb-18 00:26:16

Do you like art?

My favourite painting cost £54 a couple of years ago by a local not well known artist.

Mossbystrand Sat 24-Feb-18 06:11:10

I'd go & see a film and then have a meal.

Or I'd take the £100 to the bank & exchange it for £100 in £2 coins. Then I'd go to the £shop & buy a money saving tin that you need a can opener to open. I'd put the £2 coins in there and just add £2 coins throughout the year until it's full. Then I'd buy myself a weekend away somewhere.

sandgrown Sat 24-Feb-18 06:29:03

Go to Boots or similar and have a free makeover and buy some new make up. Then coffee/cake or lunch . Maybe buy something to wear or save the money until you see something. Or go and have a fitting and buy a really nice bra that makes your clothes look good.. Go to the cinema and watch a film in peace then spend the evening with family . Have fun smilecake

MrsJonesAndMe Sat 24-Feb-18 06:39:40

I'd buy what I need atm: pants, socks, leggings and go for a massage with the rest grin

Peeetle Sat 24-Feb-18 08:54:34

I’d buy nice earrings. Or a body wrap/massage. Or Eve Lom cleanser

noenergy Sat 24-Feb-18 09:15:14

I would go for lunch on my own then out shopping.

princesskatethefirst Sat 24-Feb-18 09:17:21

Going shopping on my own is bliss, just go out and enjoy yourself!!

latedecember1963 Sat 24-Feb-18 13:52:16

My lovely MIL usually gives me £100 for my birthday with the strict instruction that it's to treat myself. This time I used it towards new reading glasses but I usually get new bras and matching knickers.

Wifeofapostie Sat 24-Feb-18 14:23:59

I love a solo shopping trip. I personally would head to a city, have a lovely lunch and spend the day browsing department store make up counters.

Wifeofapostie Sat 24-Feb-18 14:25:10

... and I would spent the money on make up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now