Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is this reasonable for a bathroom refit?

(23 Posts)
londonpia Fri 23-Feb-18 19:25:46

We had a lovely builder come round today, to quote us on a bathroom refit. Water leaks if the shower door (attached to bath) is slightly in the wrong position, and it drips down to the floor below so it is quite urgent, although not a job that needs doing today.

He is the first quote we have but I have neither the time nor patience to get several quotes. If this quote is reasonable then I want to go with him. He has great reviews on the trader website that we look at.

So the bathroom is 3.3sq mts- quite small. Quote includes removal of all fittings, floor and wall tiles and disposal, replace plywood, tiling (the most expensive thing on the quote) and installation of bathroom suite (replacing bath with a shower enclosure). This doesn't include the actual fittings or tiles. Quote is £3,700. We were budgeting much less than this.

We are SE London.

londonpia Fri 23-Feb-18 19:26:39

Oh, and he is tiling the entire bathroom.

MassDebate Fri 23-Feb-18 19:29:18

I paid £5k for similar 2 years ago (not including fixtures and fittings) - south east commuter belt. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

martellandginger Fri 23-Feb-18 19:31:03

Sounds cheap for London. Have you seen pics of his work?

NoSquirrels Fri 23-Feb-18 19:34:16

Sounds London-prices-fair to me...

JaneEyre70 Fri 23-Feb-18 19:35:23

Just beware of some trader websites..... DH was going to advertise on a very popular trade one and it was a complete con and stupidly expensive. I'd always go on personal recommendation rather than reviews online (could have been written by them or family) and get 2/3 prices. That does sound fairly expensive without the tiles.

teaiseverything Fri 23-Feb-18 19:41:01

Sounds very reasonable.

Smallinthesmoke Fri 23-Feb-18 19:43:40

Not off the scale, no.
Tiling is incredibly expensive, especially if you are using small tiles. And he is putting in a new toilet and basin as well as replacing the bath with a shower?- so has plumbing skills? And will dispose of everything?
Make sure you see examples of his work <gazes sadly at new wonky bathroom tiles>

londonpia Fri 23-Feb-18 19:51:19

Thanks for the replies! When we did the first bathroom we went with a recommendation and, well lets say they should have rode into town with a horse wearing stetsons because they were utter cowboys. Hence the leaking bath, not to mention other quirks in the house.

So this time round (we are doing an extension and loft conversion later this year) we are going for independent reviews. I wasn't under the impression that those websites are dodgy. Although we were ripped off by another type of tradesman and we got him from a similar site. Argh!! Such a minefield!!

I've seen pictures on his phone and on the website. They include photos of him, with the bathroom in the background so I am pretty sure that he has done the work.

We are using huge tiles, so maybe it would be more if they were smaller? And yes, he is disposing of everything.

I think we will get another quote- we know a plumber socially, but my worry is if something goes wrong it could have wider implications with our social group!

manicandcrazy Fri 23-Feb-18 19:51:26

My bathroom is around the same size but a couple of years ago I ripped the whole thing out and started again. The new suite, tiles etc was around £1500. I had help but it was a lot of work with ripping out the old suite, disposing of it, getting the new suite in, cutting the tiles (which is bloody hard work when there are lots of them) and retiling the whole bathroom. I can definitely see the money in your quote and would've expected to of paid the same if I had to pay for waste disposal and labour.

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 23-Feb-18 19:53:18

I did this and paid a huge price for it in the end. The guy didn't know what he was doing at all.

I'd get a few people round and I'd want photos of the work they've done, too.

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 23-Feb-18 19:54:11

One thing... if he's any good it's likely you'll have to wait to get it done.

(Sorry, just re-read and have seen you've seen photos.)

Mybestusername Fri 23-Feb-18 19:59:15

Had mine done recently, bit smaller than yours and I removed most of the existing tiles myself to try to save money. It was just under £3k (South east, outside London), so yours doesn’t sound extortionate. It’s worth getting another quote to compare though.

nocake Fri 23-Feb-18 20:40:43

We've had two bathrooms done in the past few years and that is a bit more than we paid but the extra might be because you're in London. I would definitely get a recommendation. We had personal recommendations both times and it paid off. Both people did good jobs. One was better than the other but it was a matter of detail rather than one being rubbish or ripping us off.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 23-Feb-18 20:56:34

We had ours done for 5k. 2m X 2m, 2.5m ceiling. Floor out, ceiling reskimmed, pipes rerouted, rewired, new suite, radiator, and electric shower, fully tiled, floor sealed, door rehung. Waiting for start six weeks, six working days to complete.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Fri 23-Feb-18 20:58:43

Blimey for SE London, I’d rip his arm off for that. Which makes me worry. You really do need to get some more quotes.

LBOCS2 Fri 23-Feb-18 20:59:35

Cheap for SE London.

We have a smaller bathroom than you and paid more to have ours redone (although we moved services about).

I'd be genuinely surprised if you found it cheaper.

Hithere1981 Fri 23-Feb-18 21:01:10

just labour?

Sounds ok to me

Madonnasmum Fri 23-Feb-18 21:16:30

Christ alive. We paid £1800 for the Labour only for our recent refit. Same amount of work as you've described. I'd get more quotes. Its 5 days work, and no more.

WhereIsBlueRabbit Fri 23-Feb-18 21:19:16

I've had the best results looking for tradespeople on local Facebook groups. There's often a group for recommendations for that area (eg ThisTown Recommends) or a general group for parents in that area where people are happy to recommend tradespeople they've used. I've always picked ones who have consistently good reviews and not all by their spouse or the same person and have yet to be disappointed.

BelleandBeast Fri 23-Feb-18 21:25:09

Don't trust the trade reviews - is it checka trade? Get reviews from real people, try local facebook pages or

viccat Fri 23-Feb-18 21:36:09

Tiling takes forever. Mine is about the same size as yours and he spent about 4 days just on the tiling (large tiles) but it's done totally perfectly. Took two weeks all in but there were some extra things to do due to stupidly fitted pipes from before...

I had some labour-only quotes around that and more so I'd say it's definitely reasonable.

MarkRoper Thu 01-Mar-18 15:31:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now