Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you could pay more for an old favourite if it tasted like it used to would you?

(222 Posts)
BackToBaileys Fri 23-Feb-18 17:58:24

The taste of so many chocolates/sweets etc is just so meh now I would pay more for the treat if it meant it tasted like it used to.

Remember when a box of Dairy Milk was just delicious? Or Quality Street!

I know they shrunk the sizes and cheapened the ingredients so we didn't have to pay more for the product and so they could keep making it with their own cost to make it going up etc. But I would happily pay double for a box of milk tray if they tasted like they used to. It would also feel like a massive, occasional treat too! Whereas now it's the same price as 20 years ago but I don't want to buy it because it tastes shit!

Would you pay more for quality over cheaper for rubbish? I feel like a campaign is needed or something! grin

ScreamingValenta Fri 23-Feb-18 18:00:55

I would definitely pay more for an original formula Creme Egg.

Idontmeanto Fri 23-Feb-18 18:02:08

Yes!

HotCrossBunFight Fri 23-Feb-18 18:04:07

Yes. Definitely

AdaColeman Fri 23-Feb-18 18:09:03

Yes! After Eight Mints!

drivingmebananas Fri 23-Feb-18 18:10:23

Yes. Ditto creme egg. I wouldn't touch cadburys now it tastes like oil.

Sparklingbrook Fri 23-Feb-18 18:11:51

I would pay a bit more for them to put Walnuts back on the Whips.

sodabreadjam Fri 23-Feb-18 18:13:49

Yes to Black Magic - if they brought back all the old flavours. Loved the hazelnut cluster with peanut brittle underneath.

BackToBaileys Fri 23-Feb-18 18:17:45

Black magic were my mother's favourite but she hates them now sad I always remember being allowed one and always chose the coffee one 😋

Redken24 Fri 23-Feb-18 18:21:46

Mingles I miss them.

Backenette Fri 23-Feb-18 18:23:42

God yes.

I accept price rises - choc isn’t an everyday necessity.

Chocolate orange
Nutella
And whichever idiot adulterated dairy milk - well you are first against the wall when the revolution comes!

Put them back as they were!

Marmite27 Fri 23-Feb-18 18:24:12

What about discontinued stuff? My pregnancy craving right now is fry’s orange cream.

The bastards did away with it in 2015 sad

Backenette Fri 23-Feb-18 18:24:44

Yes I don’t touch Cadbury’s now sad tastes really unpleasant. There really isn’t any mass market choc that’s decent where I live.

shame on you, Kraft. Shame

WeeMadArthur Fri 23-Feb-18 18:25:41

Yes to crime eggs and dairy milk, just put them back the way they were!

PanannyPanoo Fri 23-Feb-18 18:26:36

Pyramint. I loved them. Like an enormous walnut whip sized after 8 mint. No one else remembers them.

Bedknobsandhoover Fri 23-Feb-18 18:27:11

So much chocolate now tastes tooth-aching sweet but has no taste of actual chocolate. I suppose sugar and palm oil are cheaper than cocoa. I’d pay more for real chocolate.

RicStar Fri 23-Feb-18 18:27:13

I would pay for proper Cadbury dairy milk. So sad can't eat it anymore. I guess there are just too many price sensitive people sigh.

BackToBaileys Fri 23-Feb-18 18:27:35

I miss Time Outs. Not the stupid Time Out wafer thing they do now, the proper one. And a Time Out chunky 😋😋

Sparklingbrook Fri 23-Feb-18 18:27:45

Have you noticed how few Mini Eggs you get in a bag now? £1 for about 15 eggs. hmm

ScreamingValenta Fri 23-Feb-18 18:28:00

crime eggs

That's a brilliant Freudian slip to describe the way they taste now grin.

BackToBaileys Fri 23-Feb-18 18:30:18

Didn't Chocolate Oranges have a really thick bit in the middle? I remember they were about £4 back in the mid nineties, now they are about £1-2 confusedsad

BothersomeCrow Fri 23-Feb-18 18:34:14

Dairy Milk. And chocolate oranges. You know they're shit when it's February and three children haven't bothered to finish the ones from their stockings.

I get pissed off every month when I crave Dairy Milk to deal with period pains, and remember it doesn't gave the lovely purple foil, and often I eat one anyway and it's just crap sweetness. Bah. Thank goodness for Lidl who at least sell decent chocolate.

shouldawouldadid Fri 23-Feb-18 18:36:35

Does anyone remember Spiras? I’ve been met with blank looks when I’ve asked in rl. I miss them, a twirl just isn’t the same!

n0ne Fri 23-Feb-18 18:36:54

Pyramint!!!!! I remember PannanyPanoo! I looooved them!

Frouby Fri 23-Feb-18 18:39:26

I always remember little toffee/caramel filled eggs at easter. Haven't seen them for years (am 40). And I always used to have a terrys chocolate orange Easter egg as my 'main' egg at easter. Now they are rubbish. Even Thorntons are rubbish now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: