Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Winter Olympics, anyone else discovered a new favourite sport?

(38 Posts)
BearSoFair Fri 23-Feb-18 15:30:25

I can honestly say I'd never watched a single ice dancing routine in my life (not even Torvill and Dean's Bolero!) until these Winter Olympics. Then I caught the Virtue and Moir performance and oh my God! The bit where he spins her up and she ends up with her legs over his shoulders...just HOW?! shock That must be hard enough to perfect just standing, let alone on skates!

Since then I've found myself on Youtube every time I have a spare 10 minutes to watch another routine and what a wonderful sport! I'd always ignorantly assumed it was a bit samey, some spins, a lift or two, if you've seen one routine you've seen them all kind of thing but I've discovered a real appreciation for how much hard work and practice must go into it all, I'm completely hooked and feel like I've been missing out for years!

Has anyone else found an unexpected new favourite sport from these games?

MissionItsPossible Fri 23-Feb-18 15:34:19

I’m with you I was open mouthed at some of the ice dancing. The solos were great but the doubles fantastic!! Such talent. Was so funny going from that to flicking past ITV once the highlights were over and seeing celebrities wobble about on skates and getting scores like 7.5 out of 10 on Dancing on Ice grin

Zhaoli Fri 23-Feb-18 15:38:20

No tv so haven’t watched any from this games, but couple of weeks ago fell down a YouTube hole and started watching luge and (is it bobsleigh the name for the ones with More people?)
Seriously how does someone get into that sport?! How?!

Son/or daughter “can I fling myself down an ice slide in a leotard at ridiculous mph in a tin can ”
Mum/dad “yes dear let’s get you booked in for some lessons”

BearSoFair Fri 23-Feb-18 15:41:37

We were wondering the same about luge, skeleton too, how on earth do you get started and learn safely?

BearSoFair Fri 23-Feb-18 21:33:16

No one else? Come on evening MNers, please say some of you have shared my joy in watching these Olympics!

hanahsaunt Fri 23-Feb-18 21:38:16

I adore the ski cross. I have actually researched how to start learning luge/skeleton/bobsleigh for ds3 (10)...we have plans grin.

RatOnnaStick Fri 23-Feb-18 21:39:11

My children made us dress and brush teeth in the living room this morning so we could catch the whole of the women's biathlon relay final. Skiiing up-bloody-hill and round a course, then shoot five targets, then round again and shoot again and round again to swap with the next teammate. It was mesmerising.

londonloves Fri 23-Feb-18 21:45:17

I'm really loving watching the speed skating! Have always loved watching figure skating.
I am totally over the curling though.

Glitteryfrog Fri 23-Feb-18 21:47:08

I love snowboard cross and halfpipe.

Floralnomad Fri 23-Feb-18 21:48:51

I’ve watched a lot of it , not ice skating as I can’t stand it , and the best event for me has been the biathlon however it’s not a new sport for me as I follow the whole season on Eurosport so it’s a case of supporting my favourites .

minsmum Fri 23-Feb-18 21:51:29

What about the skiing relays, i was on the edge of my seat

hugoagogo Fri 23-Feb-18 21:53:08

Oh come on it's all about the snowboarding 🏂 those guys are cool!!!!! gringrinstar

BearSoFair Fri 23-Feb-18 21:56:58

DS1 would love doing snowboard slopestyle, he skateboards so thinks he could manage the rails and would just have to pick up how to do the big jumps!

LadyLance Fri 23-Feb-18 22:00:15

Definitely snowboard cross and halfpipe. Also love the ice hockey from the last games!

BearSoFair Fri 23-Feb-18 22:02:57

Nice to see someone enjoying hockey! We're a hockey mad family, not unheard of for me and/or DH to be up until 2 or 3 in the morning to watch big games during the playoffs, if we can. I had Sweden down to win gold, really shocked by how well Germany have done!

CheeseTheDay Fri 23-Feb-18 22:04:58

As someone who is 'half Canadian' (thanks dad!), I'm a huge fan of Virtue and Moir, although nothing will ever top Torvill and Dean (because they set the ball in motion, for the ice dance you see today).

I really got into the ski slopestyle during these games, after watching Izzy Atkin win bronze for GB. You'd never get me doing it though.

NB: My dad is currently inconsolable, after Germany beat Canada in the semi-final of the men's hockey, because ice hockey is Canada's game!!

CandyMelts Fri 23-Feb-18 22:05:30

Ski cross! And snowboard cross too. It's like watching Harry potter on broomsticks. I love it.
Caught some biathalon today too which was brilliant, got very into it

Thebluedog Fri 23-Feb-18 22:05:30

Curling! Me and DP have stayed away from any media today, to have a night watching the women curling with a bottle of wine grin we know how to roll

mollyblack Fri 23-Feb-18 22:06:42

Yes mens ski cross- had never even heard of it before but was hooked immediately! Seems so testosterony and fun!

numbereightyone Fri 23-Feb-18 22:07:05

Which is the one where they're on skis and go off a massive jump, do loads of twists and land? I love that!

IJustLostTheGame Fri 23-Feb-18 22:21:41

I'm massively hooked on anything snowboard.
The winter Olympics are so badass, they are massively cooler than the normal Olympics.

hugoagogo Fri 23-Feb-18 22:38:59

With the winter 'lympics you either go big or go home!grin

dingdongdigeridoo Fri 23-Feb-18 23:05:50

Ski cross is cool. Who on earth invents these sports though? And how to they make these giant courses for things like the luge? They must take months to build.

I like the danger aspects of the Winter Olympics. Everything is so much more terrifying on ice.

CycleHire Fri 23-Feb-18 23:11:30

Saw the speed skating today at the barbers with my son and it was great.

I am not at all into sports but I love the Olympics, summer or winter

AbsolutelyCorking Fri 23-Feb-18 23:14:54

Sports like the skeleton are often military, RAF or policemen. That’s how they get the funding.

Other sports like snowboarding and skiing are all rich kids with rich parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now