Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Wanna hear about my terrible interview!

(55 Posts)
JustMarriedAndLovingIt Fri 23-Feb-18 15:21:27

Please feel free to regale me with yours!

Saw a job I really liked the look of. It actually pays about £3k less that i’m On now but the career progression was far

Makingworkwork Fri 23-Feb-18 15:22:06

JustMarriedAndLovingIt Fri 23-Feb-18 15:22:15

Posted too soon 😭

JustMarriedAndLovingIt Fri 23-Feb-18 15:26:53

So, I turned up at the alloted hour.

As did 5’s a group interview!

One of them was someone I met online dating who used to come to my house regularly for a shag but I haven’t seen him in about 4 years!

We did endless cringey activities including playing connect 4.

Finally, I got a phone call to say I could have the job but HR had made a mistake and it was a fixed term contract. Waste of a bloody day!

billybagpuss Fri 23-Feb-18 15:30:04

haha - but who doesn't love a game of connect 4 smile

PaperdollCartoon Fri 23-Feb-18 15:30:54

Group interviews?! Literally why?

JustMarriedAndLovingIt Fri 23-Feb-18 15:33:14

We had this activity where we had to discuss which 7 items we would take from a cracked plane (eg knife, flare gun)

LoniceraJaponica Fri 23-Feb-18 15:36:24

I had a group interview many, many years ago at The Yorkshire Post. I didn't get the job.

EastMidsGPs Fri 23-Feb-18 15:45:45

Once had day long interview at a school. Think test, group interview, interview by school council and individual interview

We were all invited to the school canteen for lunch - to be had with other staff members. Even tho their were pizza, chips and a cherry sponge pudding on the menu, all candidates chose the healthy salad option with fruit for afters.

Thankfully I didn't get the job.

I have also turned up a day early for an interview blush

EastMidsGPs Fri 23-Feb-18 15:46:25

There was blush

elisenbrunnen Fri 23-Feb-18 15:47:19

Oh ds2 had an interview like that - several items available; which would you take to survive a boat sinking. Included a dinghy and petrol and matches.

Apparently, The correct answer was take the dinghy, pour the petrol overboard and set light to it! (As a flare, I assume). I'd have chucked anyone overboard if they'd tried to set light to a sea of petrol in the middle of which was my little boat shock

dingdongdigeridoo Fri 23-Feb-18 16:07:16

I love when they do that desert island quiz where you have to decide the items. Reason is, I've done it so, so many times that I just give the group the answers. I first came across it in 2000 when I was in college and going for a crap part-time job, and it's usually an indication that the company is a bit shit.

whoareyoukidding Fri 23-Feb-18 16:13:06

Oh I've done the group interview thing, it is cringey and I don't think it necessarily shows you the best person for the job, it just shows you who the gobbiest/loudest person in the room is.

FoofFighter Fri 23-Feb-18 16:33:47

Asda group interview. We had to invent something that a dept in the store could sell, and then come up with USP for the marketing. Fair enough.

Except we had to invent this item from marshmallows and raw spaghetti confused

I was rather proud of my invention (my group was shit!) which was a fairy gazebo complete with garden swing.

Got invited for the next stage, by which time as Asda takes so long for the processes, the role I was wanting had gone and I couldn't do the one they offered instead sad

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Fri 23-Feb-18 16:35:36

Ds went to a group interview for a big retailer. He said the same activities were done as the interview for his present job-he said it came from the Big Fun Book of Interviews

coffeelover1 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:44:47

Sorry that this is slightly off topic, but in my book this is my worst interview experience. I have had two interviews with a company and was asked to attend a final interview on this coming Monday. Ahead of this final interview, I was asked to prepare a presentation. I have booked the coming Monday off work and was planning on putting together the presentation over this weekend.

I got a generic email off them today saying that the position was now closed and that they thanked me for my interest in the vacancy. I am annoyed that they did not bother calling me especially as I have already gone through two interviews already and this final interview has been cancelled at short notice!

Travis1 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:48:08

@coffeelover did you call them and double check? It could be a generic email has went out to all applicants because they are down to final interviews.

Katedotness1963 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:52:21

Went on a job interview, it seemed to be going well. Then I spotted a seagull on the roof opposite and I could not look away. Completely zoned out. Heard not another word of the interview till the words "I think that all then" broke through. I quickly thanked them and left...

Why I was so struck by the bird I have no idea. I lived in a seaside town. The place was heaving with bloody gulls, they're a right nuisance. Surprisingly, I never heard back from them.

4yoniD Fri 23-Feb-18 16:52:42

I was almost run over on the way to an interview- I was walking along a pavement with dropped curb, a lady driving way too fast threw her car over the pavement to get to the parking on the other side. 5minutes later... guess who is interviewing me. Yes- mad car lady. I didn't get the job.

JustMarriedAndLovingIt Fri 23-Feb-18 16:56:50

Some funny ones there grin Love the marshmallows and spaghetti! I just found it all very humiliating and undignified fighting it out for the jobs. Plus I kept looking over at previous FWB and thinking ‘you’ve seen me naked’ Cringe!

BoomBoomsCousin Fri 23-Feb-18 16:58:35

I've had to decide which 3 of 5 people got a place on a life raft (!) and another where we had to sort out a double booking at community space, deciding which of the groups to cancel and write to explain the situation to them. I had a disastrous one where we had to make a video as a group - it did not play to my strengths!

Group interviews are obviously not perfect, but I much prefer them to panel or 1:1 type ones. Organizations get a far rounder view of people and there is more opportunity to showcase strengths and interpersonal skills.

In my experience, the "loudest/gobbiest in the room" rarely get the job.

coffeelover1 Fri 23-Feb-18 17:01:36

I was hopeful of that too Travis1 and did call. The receptionist told me that it was not a mistake and that other applicants had been calling today as well because of this email. She refused to put me though to the HR team and told me to apply for another position! It just added salt to the wound.

This thread has really cheered me up though.

JugglingMummyof2 Fri 23-Feb-18 17:04:57

@coffeelover1 - call them - that does not sound right. The position has been closed, not filled?
Call them as I think they will be expecting you on Monday.
Good luck.

JugglingMummyof2 Fri 23-Feb-18 17:05:59

Damn took too long typing - that is horrid coffee.

UpstartCrow Fri 23-Feb-18 17:07:40

I was one of hundreds that turned up for an interview, unfortunately the only people wearing a suit were me and the interviewer. And it did not go down well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now