Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Give me dinner inspiration please! What are you having?

(74 Posts)
LBOCS2 Fri 23-Feb-18 13:02:00

Ugh. It's my day off today, which usually means I have a bit more time to cook dinner for the family. Which is fine but I'm feeling particularly uninspired.

So far this week we've eaten: freezer fish and chips, a homemade chilli, pizza express, homemade burgers and wedges. So we've already exhausted all the mince in the world, had a takeaway and had some fish (and freezer food).

What would you do? There are five of us so obviously at least one of the children will hate what I cook; I'm resigned to that.

What are you having for dinner?

MsHomeSlice Fri 23-Feb-18 13:04:55

we are having a chicken tray bake....chicken thighs, lemon slices and onions in oven to roast, then when they are almost done add in olives, chicken stock and almost cooked orzo

only i couldn't find orzo, so I shall hurl in some rice.

Mamabear14 Fri 23-Feb-18 13:07:46

Tonight we are doing a Jamie Oliver 5 ingredient sausage and Apple bake. When I have a bit more time to do prep I like the hairy bikers beef and ale casserol or their lamb and potato curry. Both really nice.

MsHomeSlice Fri 23-Feb-18 13:08:07

i forgot to add the recipe Chicken/olive/Orzo

Dottydoodoo Fri 23-Feb-18 13:08:33

We are having crispy chicken fajitas from an old El Paso kit blush with wedges and salad. Not my greatest culinary effort, but it's easy and everybody enjoys it!

Beetlebum1981 Fri 23-Feb-18 13:09:24

Sea bass with asparagus and pea risotto - DH will be cooking it because cooking skills are far more simple grin

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 23-Feb-18 13:21:28

It’ll be either the Hairy Bikers Chilli Salad Bowks or Carbonara depending on how I’m feeling nearer the time smile

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 23-Feb-18 13:22:25

Dotty we had that last night and everyone loves it here too smile

LBOCS2 Fri 23-Feb-18 13:23:59

Oooh, I could really eat a curry. Maybe I'll do a bit of investigation into that...

MaMisled Fri 23-Feb-18 13:25:18

I've cooked chicken breasts, peppers, mushrooms, onion and courgette in pasta sauce with mild fajita mix. I've lined a baking tray with overlapping tortilla wraps, put the mixture in, covered with cheese and folded over the sides of the wraps. I'll bake later and serve with wedges and dip.

RoryAndLogan Fri 23-Feb-18 13:30:57

Broccoli and pesto risotto grin

MissTFied Fri 23-Feb-18 13:33:24

Roast chicken. Last night we had chicken burgers and chips.

MrsPear Fri 23-Feb-18 13:35:41

A combo meal of recipes which has turned into chicken potato bake.

PickledLilly Fri 23-Feb-18 13:37:30

Roast chicken with broccoli, carrots and roast butternut squash (with pancetta and mozzarella)

PinkHeart5914 Fri 23-Feb-18 13:38:08

Dh is doing Home made pizza, I want mushrooms, peppers and red onion on mine 😋 & white wine all the wine

What about fajitas OP?

PickledLilly Fri 23-Feb-18 13:40:13

Although I’m making pizza for the kids as At least one of them would turn her nose up at everything on my plate except the chicken hmm when I say ‘making’ pizza, I mean warming up pizza wink

Ragwort Fri 23-Feb-18 13:40:15

Lots of chicken being eaten tonight: we are having coq au vin, haven't made it for years but suddenly got a craving for it. My teenage DS probably won't like it so he can have a reduced chicken korma I picked up in the supermarket. grin.

jimijack Fri 23-Feb-18 13:43:56

A breakfast tea here.
Eggs, bacon, beans, sausages and a pile of toast.
Bloody lovely.

glitterballbag Fri 23-Feb-18 13:45:39

Homemade chicken mushroom and leek pie, ready roll puff pastry- obviously grin

TheMadGardener Fri 23-Feb-18 13:46:19

It's Friday so we usually have pasta and wine on a Friday. DH is having a stressful afternoon as he's taking dementia-sufferer MIL to her doctor to discuss her severe incontinence problems. Probably not fun, so I am doing his favourite pasta thing for dinner which is pork-and-onion sausages chopped up in a very garlicky tomato, pepper and mushroom sauce with penne and lots of cheese. And lots of wine - he'll need it by the time he gets home!

HeyMicky Fri 23-Feb-18 13:50:58

Rack of lamb, mash, and leeks and cabbage. DH is doing it all.

LBOCS2 Fri 23-Feb-18 14:08:24

That's nice of you @TheMadGardener - I'm sure he'll appreciate the effort (and the wine!).

@PinkHeart5914 We've sort of already had Mexican this week - DH does an epic chilli with all the extras, and as he was off on Tuesday I bought the ingredients and fixed him with a hard stare until he agreed to make it 😁 Also, I'm not amazingly keen on Mexican flavours in general and as I'm cooking I feel that I should get final say!

I've got a really good fish curry recipe that I got from Gousto, so I'm considering making that and maybe a dhal or a potato curry, plus shop bought bread and rice. 4/5 of us will eat that, and DD1 is going through a phase of refusing her dinner and then eating plain toast at bedtime (because she's SOOOOOOOO HUNGRY, unsurprisingly) so I'm not feeling particularly inclined to pander to her at the moment.

bastardlyandmutley Fri 23-Feb-18 15:01:26

New recipe/mash up of several recipes getting a try. Italian Pancakes stuffed with garlic, spinach, mushroom & ricotta topped with a tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Bought some custard tarts from M&s for afters in case it goes horribly tits up.

ShotsFired Fri 23-Feb-18 15:10:49

For several reasons I am having Burger King. And I am going to enjoy it.

But I am now adding mexican and that chicken tray bake to my ideas pot for sometime soon. And I must have risotto again soon (OH hates it so I rarely make as we eat together every night and am buggered if making two meals!)

bibblebobblebubble Fri 23-Feb-18 15:12:42

Kedgeree, rather surprisingly both kids love it and the easy version I make is pretty quick (well I do have to peel the boiled eggs which I seem to be very bad at)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: