Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Full time Open Uni

(6 Posts)
Blueisthecolour54 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:54:17

Has anyone studied full time with the OU? What did you study? How many hours did you study a week? Did you have kids, a OH, house to run, a job? How did you find it?

I am looking to sign up full time but I have been out of education for a long time. Just trying to figure out if it will work for me. I have around 50 hours a week to study as I'm not currently working.

JeSaisPas Fri 23-Feb-18 12:41:01

I studied full time while also working full time (no DC). They recommended about 35 hours study a week but I did around 5 on a typical week but put in a lot of work on the monthly TMAs. I didn't go to any tutorials.

I managed to get a first. My degree was in Modern Languages: French & Spanish, but I teach English as a foreign language so probably advanced quicker than those with no language experience. I also put in lots of personal study that I enjoyed and which wasn't related to the books, e.g. summer courses abroad, reading grammar books, listening to music for vocab. In my case it helped that I chose to study something I was interested in so my personal study didn't feel like studying iyswim. I didn't do my degree for professional reasons, just pleasure.

TittyGolightly Fri 23-Feb-18 12:46:15

Re student finance, OU is only ever considered to be part time regardless of hours/credits being studied. Just in case that’s an issue.

PookyHook Fri 23-Feb-18 13:10:48

I'm nearly finished an OU degree in Natural Sciences. I'm studying part time, so 60 credits a year. I don't have a job.

When I started I had two children - a 3 year old and a 1 year old, now I'm in my final year and I have a 9 year old, a 7 year old and a 4 year old. I dropped down to 30 credits a year around the time my youngest was born.

I would really struggle with studying full time. At the moment the time I have to study consists of a three hour window in the morning when my youngest is at preschool, the evenings after the kids have gone to bed, and weekends. I thought I would have more time as my kids got older and were in school, but I find that the more hours I gain in the morning, the more I lose in the evening and weekends because as they get older they have later bedtimes and more evening and weekend activities.

I found that studying two 30 credit modules requires more time than one 60 credit module, and also that the higher the level of the module, the more study time is needed.

I have come across lots of people who manage 120 credits a year though. It's definitely possible.

lastminutetutor Fri 23-Feb-18 13:32:35

If you are going to double up, do it early in your degree. At level one the work is quite straightforward and you only need to get 40% to pass each module. At level two the marks start to count towards your final degree classification and even more so at level three. Consider what you want to get as your final grade. There is no point in finishing in three years with a third (pass 4) if you could have done it over five years and got the 2.1 you wanted. Obviously any career plans should be considered, sometimes it is better to get experience alongside rather than spending all the time studying.

There is a leap from level one to level two and again from two to three. I would estimate it to be up to 10% if you don't also increase your skills. Say if you do two level ones and get distinctions (over 85%) on both, you could probably happily double up at level two, your marks might slip a little to 70-80% but that will still send you into level three in a good position. I would say don't plan to do two 60 point level threes.

If however your marks at level one are say around 60% then I would just take one level two module a year and use the extra time to plough into bumping the grades up.

Blueisthecolour54 Fri 23-Feb-18 15:32:57

It’s a business subject I will be studying. My kids are at school so they’re out the house 8.30 - 15.30 so I have the majority of that time to study and then kids are away Friday night to Sunday night so I’ve got that time as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now