Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Any vegetarians that can help me

(21 Posts)
WhenEnoughIsEnough Fri 23-Feb-18 10:44:24

My sister is bringing her partner round tonight for our side of the family to meet him for the first time. He is vegetarian.

There will be 12 of us in total so I've been racking my brains for something that I could cook for all of us and then a dish for him to eat however I have never met a vegetarian before let alone cooked for one.

I looked online for vegetarians recipes but with the amount of people I'm cooking for it just looked like to much hard work for me.

I have decided just to do loads of pizza with vegetable ones for sisters partner, garlic bread and pasta.

If you were a vegetarian meeting me for the first time would you be happy with eating that or do I need to go to Tesco to get something else?

Thanks

Chaylin Fri 23-Feb-18 10:48:09

I’m a lifelong vegetarian, you’re overthinking it, that’s fine it’s a vegetarian meal or you can just cook pretty much any meal or side without the meat no need for the complicated recipes

WhenEnoughIsEnough Fri 23-Feb-18 10:51:35

Thanks Chaylin i think I am overthinking it a bit I just really want him to feel welcome.

SandAndSea Fri 23-Feb-18 10:52:35

Just check that the pizzas are actually vegetarian as not all are. (Eg. rennet in the cheese.)

Also, cook the veggie one at the top of the oven so no meat can drip on it from the others, and use a separate knife, board etc for it.

Sounds fine though.

ButFirstTea Fri 23-Feb-18 10:54:52

I think it sounds fine but if you're after something different that everyone can eat but that's still easy you could try a veggie chilli. You can make a huge pot of chilli and rice and have different toppings out for people to help themselves.

PinkHeart5914 Fri 23-Feb-18 10:55:01

Pizza, garlic bread & pasta is absolutely fine! I’m not veggie myself but I tend to prefer veggie pizza (red onion, peppers, mushroom is my fave)

Have a nice evening

WhenEnoughIsEnough Fri 23-Feb-18 10:59:41

SandAndSea I had though about cooking the veggie pizza in the top oven instead of in with the meat ones but hadn't crossed my mind to use a different knife/chopping board blush so thankyou.
ButFirstTea I would have done chilli but there's only 3 of us that will eat it because everyones fussy!

PinkHeart5914 I so go for veggie pizzas myself sometimes your combination sounds lovely and thankyou

PaperdollCartoon Fri 23-Feb-18 11:02:56

This sounds good to me. Can’t go wrong with garlic bread. A veggie lasagne is also a good option for lots of people, goes a long way and can be made in advance.

lljkk Fri 23-Feb-18 11:04:36

Agree you're overthinking it.
My MIL was like that. She would go buy ready meals. It was baffling. Pile of veg & garlic bread would have done me fine.

ParkySaus Fri 23-Feb-18 11:15:45

Don't put the veggie pizzas out first while you cook the others! Otherwise it all gets snaffled by hungry meat eaters. Speaking from experience grin

formerbabe Fri 23-Feb-18 11:15:55

Sounds fine, but just to let you know op, vegetarians don't eat parmesan.

WhenEnoughIsEnough Fri 23-Feb-18 11:19:23

parkysaus I was planning on putting all out together but I have bought 2 different veggie ones because I know the carnivores will help themselves grin

formerbabe I think all of the pizzas are mozzarella is that okay?

WhenEnoughIsEnough Fri 23-Feb-18 11:20:38

The pizzas have got the little vegetarian tick on them so I hope so

formerbabe Fri 23-Feb-18 11:21:15

I think mozarella is fine, was just mentioning the parmesan in case you might have used it in the pasta or were using pesto with it in...hth!

SandAndSea Fri 23-Feb-18 11:21:24

You're welcome. It's also good to make everyone else aware of which one's the veggie pizza and veggie knife - meat-eating diners don't always realise stuff like this. Maybe make 2 veggie pizzas in case the others want a slice too.

TittyGolightly Fri 23-Feb-18 11:22:09

That wouldn’t work for me, but I’m somewhat unusual (veggie, allergic to tomatoes, don’t eat carbs). I tend to self cater. 😂

Might be worth running your idea past your sister to check it’s okay.

SteelyPip Fri 23-Feb-18 11:23:35

Mozzarella is fine and as a veggie of 35 years (blimey! shock) I am always at my happiest and most comfortable when it's something easy and relaxed like pizza/pasta/g-bread etc. You sound like a lovely host and your sister's partner should feel very welcomed. flowers

SandAndSea Fri 23-Feb-18 11:25:57

X-post.

If you're putting them all out together, separate the veggie ones from the meat ones and make this clear. Firstly, so the veggie person doesn't go hungry and secondly so that anyone serving a meaty slice doesn't drop a bit on the veggie ones. Tbh, I would make sure that the veggie guest has at least one whole pizza given to him upfront so others don't eat his share. (Bitter experience!) wink

honeyroar Fri 23-Feb-18 12:11:36

I'd be perfectly happy with that.

WhenEnoughIsEnough Fri 23-Feb-18 13:18:35

Loads of great advice on this thread thankyou so much to everyone. I'll probably be back in a few weeks asking for your favourite veggie meals for when he comes over and there isn't so many of us.

Loyaultemelie Fri 23-Feb-18 19:18:11

Too late now probably in full swing but just wanted to say veggie here and I'd love that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: