Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Someone taken website domain and tried to replicate my business?

(14 Posts)
ChangedUsernameJanuary2018 Fri 23-Feb-18 07:22:37

I have a very small cake business. I started it last year, so I set up a website, email, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

This year I had to stop it and didn't reregister my domain or business, etc.

I was still following the business account on Twitter and up popped a tweet this morning saying they are holding an audition for children to appear in 'cake smash' session and linked to a legitimate casting website with all these details about how they need 3 resent photos, etc.

I try and log into that Twitter account and can't. I click forget password and I had registered with one of my @businessnamehere emails, which I no longer have access too... I type in my old website name and the website domain has been rebought out and there is a completely different website there now, so I assume they bought the email too and was able to reset the password with the email?

The website features pictures of my cake. This isn't my main concern though. My main concern is obviously that there is this casting call thing and if people were to look up my business they will probably think it's legitimate because of the Twitter account that has people from last year with their reviews, etc. especially as I have Tweets still on there saying to email that email address.

It's bizarre and odd and scary.

Can I go to the police or what?

Noclue123 Fri 23-Feb-18 07:27:29

Unfortuantly as you didnt buy the domain etc again then it is no longer yours. Not sure about the pictures etc but there is nothing gou can do about the ownership of domain and email.

Mumteedum Fri 23-Feb-18 07:28:31

It's not a police matter. You need legal advice. Sounds like an opportunist.

ChangedUsernameJanuary2018 Fri 23-Feb-18 07:32:19

It's not that I want to go to the police because they took my pictures or whatever. However, I'm not convinced this casting thing is legit - surely that's illegal? How can it be legit? My number is listed on the website and casting call, etc.

Catsingangs Fri 23-Feb-18 07:33:59

If you gave up the domain then there's not a lot you can do, although nicking your pictures is not on. Do a whois lookup to see who has registered the address.

ChangedUsernameJanuary2018 Fri 23-Feb-18 07:34:29

And the Twitter? The person can't seriously be setting up a business and just using my previous work. No one would use my same Twitter (and purposely do the whole forget password thing?)

It's fucking weird.

ChangedUsernameJanuary2018 Fri 23-Feb-18 07:36:06

That's exactly what I did, but it's my name and address listed. The only thing that isn't mine is the email address listed, but it still has myname@weirdemailcompanyihaventheardof
Which is why I think there's more to it than just wanting the name and pictures

BelindasRedPlasticHandcuffs Fri 23-Feb-18 07:39:31

I'd contact Twitter directly to see if they can get the page taken down, or at the very least get your old tweets deleted so at least they aren't connected.

I have no idea about the website though confused it really is fucking weird.

Mumteedum Fri 23-Feb-18 07:41:52

Right, so your old phone number is being used? And address? Can you contact twitter and try and get account removed?

It's v weird. I can understand them nicking your domain etc but not why they'd leave your details up if it's a legitimate business, all be it unethical.

BrownTurkey Fri 23-Feb-18 07:46:39

Can you tweet the account publicly?

Catsingangs Fri 23-Feb-18 07:47:04

You're right that is weird ! If the domain expired how did they re-register with your postal address ? Very odd. There is a domain dispute procedure you can look at, maybe ask them to look into it

ChangedUsernameJanuary2018 Fri 23-Feb-18 07:49:12

My address is registered on websites where you can look up registered companies (it was a LTD) although it says it was due payment and was no longer a business, my address was listed, so my address must have come from there, but all that effort makes me think it's odd.

ClareB83 Fri 23-Feb-18 08:00:08

I'd contact trading standards as well.

PhilODox Fri 23-Feb-18 08:00:22

That is odd, and sounds malicious.

Sorry, but you shouldn't have let the domain registration lapse!

Tweet @ them from a new account, saying the competition is a sham (register a new Twitter account, you don't need to be 'you', can be any name)- you need to make sure people don't turn up at your address (home address?).
I would inform police because they're targeting people with v small children.
I am afraid I don't think there's anything you can legally do about the passing off, though I thought it was a crime. Bombarding their tweet stream with tweets saying"this isn't a valid business anymore" etc should put people off... if they use Twitter. If they go to the website though, is it still your phone number too?
You may need to contact the ISP to get it taken down, if you can deduce who that is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now