Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Calling school cooks from the past - pink custard enquiry!

(76 Posts)
Impatientwino Thu 22-Feb-18 20:20:58

Ok so that's the most random sentence I've ever written... maybe

My dad is a former headteacher celebrating his 70th birthday later this year and as part of his celebrations we have planned a surprise reunion of his old school staff.

We're doing a finger buffet and drinks and started to think about cakes and pudding.

He was a sucker for a school pud and my mum and I had an idea about serving a school pudding as a bit of nod to his school days. One of the office staff used to grab him some lunch as he was always in meetings and he always used to ask for some pudding with his sandwich!

We found out his favourite was chocolate sponge with pink custard so I'm wondering if anyone who used to make school dinners could help me out with some recipes?

Party is at my house so we can cook in advance then heat and serve in bowls.

Thank you in advance for any help!

lucysmam Thu 22-Feb-18 20:26:37

I'm reasonably sure I read a thread on here years ago which said the pink custard was blancmange! But I could have imagined that so will see what others say smile

mumonashoestring Thu 22-Feb-18 20:30:50

Yep, it was basically runny blancmange
www.bakingmad.com/recipe/pink-custard

TimeIhadaNameChange Thu 22-Feb-18 20:33:45

I’m sure I found a website which had loads of old school recipes. I’ll see if I can find it.

AlbusPercival Thu 22-Feb-18 20:33:51

I can ask my granny tomorrow if you like?

Terpsichore Thu 22-Feb-18 20:38:01

In my day we always used to have pink custard one day. Then the next day we'd have pink blancmange. School lore was that they made industrial quantities on the first day so it would be enough for both meals. Not sure if that’s true but it seems plausible grin

Impatientwino Thu 22-Feb-18 20:42:07

Ha! Well my mum used to make a lot of blancmange so that would explain why he liked it!

Thank you for the help!

Does anyone have a chocolate sponge school style recipe? We still have school contacts so I thought we could ask to borrow the catering tins they used to cook in.

ineedaholidaynow Thu 22-Feb-18 20:42:35

I was going to say blancmange although I don't remember having it with anything

missyB1 Thu 22-Feb-18 20:47:38

Following. OP hope you don’t mind but as well as the pink custard I also remember green / mint custard, would love the recipe for that.

anotherchangetomyname Thu 22-Feb-18 20:50:45

The school chocolate sponge was steamed, rather than baked.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Thu 22-Feb-18 20:53:41

We would have spotted dick with regular custard, coconut and jam sponge with pink custard and chocolate sponge with chocolate custard. They were definitely custard and not blancmange. The chocolate custard was chocolatey but I suspect the pink was just regular custard with food colouring.

Terpsichore Thu 22-Feb-18 20:55:06

This might be a touch on the luxurious side, OP, but it sounds rather nice.....choc sponge recipe

memoryfoammattresstopper Thu 22-Feb-18 21:03:01

School chocolate sponge

2oz STORK (this is essential!)
2 oz sr flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 oz sugar
1 egg.

Mix altogether in a bowl, put in a 1lb pudding basin, cover with paper and steam for 90 mins.

Ive also got recipes for cornflake tart, coconut sponge, australian crunch, chocolate concrete and my family's favourite green mint custard should you wish to go all out.

SumThucker Thu 22-Feb-18 21:03:10

This is a good chocolate and mint custard old school pudding;

Chocolate Sponge Pudding and Mint Sauce Recipe...
For the sponge:
3oz SR Flour
1oz Cocoa Powder
4oz Castor Sugar
4oz Margarine
2 eggs
1tspn baking powder
Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat for 3 mins. (2 mins if using hand held mixer. Pour mixture into a greased pudding basin, cover tightly with greaseproof paper and elastic band. Put a saucer in a pan half fill pan with boiling water and place pudding dish on top and simmer for about 1hr 15 mins.Keep topping pan up with water. Test if cooked by placing a clean knife in sponge. When cooked the knife should come out clean
For the mint sauce:
1 pint fresh milk
2oz granulated sugar
2oz Cornflour
Peppermint essence
green colouring.
Make as for custard, and add peppermint essence and green colouring to taste and shade you want to achieve.

Lots of old recipes on this website:

bbcfood

memoryfoammattresstopper Thu 22-Feb-18 21:04:32

For pink custard try 1 and a half ounces cornflour, 2 ounces sugar, pint of milk and some pink food colouring although check the food colouring you are using isnt one of those natural ones that change colour when hot

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 22-Feb-18 21:07:06

Ooh I’m craving some pink custard now! I was very excited to see that Greggs sell Tottenham cake. That square sponge cake that has pink icing on top. That takes me back.

I remember my school canteen once had green sponge for Halloween. That was unappetising even to children.

Impatientwino Thu 22-Feb-18 21:08:53

Ooh green mint custard. I can still remember how that tasted!

Thanks so much for the recipes! Steamed sounds right doesn't it - it would be lighter.

Do you think it would reheat ok? Realistically I'd need to cut into small squares and nuke small portions in the microwave?

In honesty it doesn't have to taste utterly amazing but it has to taste authentic and not like a dried out microwaved sponge!!

memoryfoammattresstopper Thu 22-Feb-18 21:11:33

Its quite a dense sponge- not light like chocolate cake.

Im not sure about reheating it in the microwave but I can make one this weekend and give it a try if you would like

DH loves school dinner style puddings. He isn't going to say no to cake and mint custard

Impatientwino Thu 22-Feb-18 21:24:23

Thats so amazing thank you mattress! starHow very kind of you (and your DH!grin)

We currently have a non sleeping young baby and a hyper 5 year old so I'm not getting much time for anything currently!

I've actually never steamed a pudding, I remember my grandma making and steaming puddings in her pressure cooker but will need to do some investigating!

I'm off to bed now (due to non sleeping baby ) but will be back in the morning thankscake

Impatientwino Thu 22-Feb-18 21:25:15

Will try the custard recipe you suggest at the weekend! And thanks for tip re the food colourings!

numbereightyone Thu 22-Feb-18 21:27:15

Thanks for this OP. I'm going to make the chocolate sponge pudding.

katienana Thu 22-Feb-18 21:30:03

You can cook sponge pudding in the microwave, get a set of Lakeland pudding basins and make up a big batch of the mix (you could pre mix the dry ingredients and add the egg later to.keep fresh) pour into the basins and it only takes a couple mins in the micro.

KnittedBobbleHat Thu 22-Feb-18 21:30:48

My dad makes steamed chocolate sponge in the microwave. It's very light and spongey

DappledThings Thu 22-Feb-18 21:31:37

We used to call it Palmolive Pudding. I can't remember why. Was Palmolive shampoo pink? Would have been in the late 80s

TroysMammy Thu 22-Feb-18 21:34:44

I used to love chocolate pudding and white sauce and pink Manchester tart. Rice pudding could go to hell.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: