Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

10 year old DS loved reading animal farm- what else would he enjoy?

(66 Posts)
ProperLavs Thu 22-Feb-18 19:18:52

He is a bit of an old head on young shoulders. He loves discussing politics and is particularly interested in the cold war.
He loved animal farm and grasped the basis of the novel. Even quoting lines to illustrate his thinking.
Can anyone recommend other reads he might like?
Thanks smile

BitchyInnerMonologue Thu 22-Feb-18 19:19:53

1984? Brave New World?

VienneseFingers Thu 22-Feb-18 19:22:19

Defina Not 1984 for a 10 year old. It contains a very traumatic scene in it, and sex. Not appropriate.

Sorry I can't think of any other novels at the moment, but I'll have a think.

MeadowHay Thu 22-Feb-18 19:34:42

I read that around that age, it's hard for me to remember other things I read though. At 10/11 I was very into Lord of the Rings and read all of them, they are actually quite political, might that be something that interests him? I was also very into Harry Potter so clearly I liked fantasy too. I remember reading Charlotte's Webb around that time too which I liked. I also used to read these cringey girlie books called The Babysitter's Club grin. I lived in books. Still do really. I used to go to my local library once a week at that age and take out a load of books each time, it's good because you get to browse. Haha I remember liking the Goosebumps books but only the ones where you make choices at the bottom of the page about how to proceed with the story. I also used to read random non-fiction books for children, like children's history books. I liked ancient Greek mythology, and the Victorian era for some reason.

FairfaxAikman Thu 22-Feb-18 19:40:28

Depends on how you feel about the themes and the language, but what about the Handmaid's Tale?
There are some very current themes about the suppression of women, misogyny, racism etc.

londonloves Thu 22-Feb-18 19:43:01

the hunger games, robin Jarvis books, Philip Pullman and narnia if he hasn't read them already.
Lord of the flies
To kill a mockingbird
Roll of thunder hear my cry
There's some really good historical fiction out there that he might like too. Just take him to a massive Waterstones and let him browse.
How awesome to have such a clever, inquisitive boy.

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 19:43:30

We, Fahrenheit (can’t remember the number), ready player one...

I’ll have a ferret through DS books - sounds like they might have similar tastes.

FancyNewBeesly Thu 22-Feb-18 19:52:52

Z For Zachariah was one of the first dystopian things I read. Slightly more suitable for kids, I read it at middle school.

I loved Animal Farm, 1984, We (Zamyatin, If you’re struggling to find it), Brave New World - I was reading those about 10 or 11 but depends totally on the child as to whether they’d be suitable. I’m afraid I’m not too hot on the YA stuff as I never read any - I moved on to Nietzsche about age 12 (my teachers must have thought I was a right twat).

When he’s a bit older (mid teens perhaps, depending on him) I would recommend some of the tamer Palahniuk books - Diary and Survivor would be good. There is adult content but nothing too disturbing.

I’d also really recommend The Amazingly Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Chabon to teen boys who love to read - it’s an absolute masterpiece and criminally under-read. There is more grown up content (some takes place during the war and there may be a couple of tamer sex scenes but can’t say I remember them if there are) but the writing is incredible and I think mid teen boys could really relate to the story.

Mightybanhammer Thu 22-Feb-18 19:52:55

I wish I knew him. He sounds fab smile

Would suggest the little prince by st exupery . A child's tale with more subtle meanings- seems he already understands the meaning within the meaning so you are very much on your way!

This is the key that unlocks the door to so much. Build on this, with poetry and music.

1984 - maybe not quite yet but Orwell is superb. Read yourself and decide if appropriate.

Apart from that, good luck go with the flow- he sounds great.

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 19:54:10

Benedict society - or are they too young? Jo Nesbo books were popular too.

ProperLavs Thu 22-Feb-18 20:14:22

Thank you so much everyone. I was rather fearing I would get told he was a bit odd and should be reading 'diary of a wimpy' kid. ( he did read it until he decided that the protagonist was a sociopath hmm).

He adored Harry Potter and read each book at least 5 times.
he was completely addicted to watching war and peace on tv. ( has older sibs so does get to see a lot off 'stuff'. It doesn't phase him though. He adores history, but I thought Dostoyevsky would probably be bridge too far!

I was wondering about Lord of the flies, yes and to kill a Mockingbird. I will investigate your suggestions smile

londonloves Thu 22-Feb-18 20:29:26

The Duncton wood books by William Horwood and also Brian Jaques books might appeal. I didn't love them as a youngster but they're about complex social structures and slightly dystopian societies I think.
Also wondered about some "easier" Dickens like David copperfield and Nicholas Nickleby. Good stories with interesting historical context. The Goodreads app is good for recommendations of new things to try.

MinorRSole Thu 22-Feb-18 20:30:53

The plague dogs by Richard Adams - I loved it when I was younger although extremely sad

gillybeanz Thu 22-Feb-18 20:35:53

Lord of The flies, my dd loved this and read it before Animal Farm.
She has just started of Mice and Men, then has To Kill A Mockingbird.
War Of the Worlds is good too, or even Hitchhikers Guide.

minipie Thu 22-Feb-18 20:42:15

Sounds like he'd love science fiction

Fahrenheit 451
The Martian Chronicles (Ray Bradbury)
Lots of Asimov - Foundation series, Robot series
Dune series

Younger science fiction: (some may be too young, sorry mine aren't 10 yet and I can't remember!)

Diane Wynne Jones
Catherine Storr
Nicholas Fisk
Robert Swindells
Tripod series (can't remember author)

Non science fiction

Anne Frank's Diary
A Day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch

Some of the adult Dahl (but vet first)

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 21:18:40

Hitchhikers - of course! DS has read that a few times and finds it hilarious!

He also enjoyed mockingbird and lord of the flies. Also day of the jackal. He’s on ww1 stories at the moment.

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 21:20:34

Day of the triffids
The third man
HG Wells (time machine etc)
Count of Monte Christo - loooong going
Stalingrad
Robert Harris is enjoyable (new one coming out)

ProperLavs Thu 22-Feb-18 21:24:12

I started on ‘ To kill a mockingbird’ with him tonight. The first chapter isn’t very gripping until the end and I wondered whether he wasn’t quite ready. However he urged me to keep reading and I checked his comprehension which seemed ok.
You have given me lots of suggestions to look into.
I suspect very much that he has very high functioning autism which makes his interests and understanding somewhat ‘quirky’. He loves 20th history and politics.

ProperLavs Thu 22-Feb-18 21:25:55

We tried hitchhikers and he disn’t Really like it sadly. Day of the triffids, I had forgotten about that. Dune also! Thank you all!

soundsystem Thu 22-Feb-18 21:36:06

Ooh yes A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch

I wouldn't rule out Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov, maybe?
(I have high functioning ASD and similar interests, and read that at a similar age although I appreciate it's not standard 10-year-old reading).

Will he read plays? Brecht: The Caucasian Chalk Circle and or Mother Courage and Her Children? Ibsen?

Death and the Penguin?

Itmakesthereaderreadon Thu 22-Feb-18 21:38:38

Pretty sure there's a fair bit of sex in brave New world.

semideponent Thu 22-Feb-18 21:39:43

Everything I can remember that DS also liked has been mentioned except for Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Many of the books mentioned can be read over and over.

DS gone on (two years later) to read Gulliver's Travels (for school), but the language is quite a challenge. The political satire appeals, though, so it might appeal to your DS also. We did need to explain quite a bit of history to him for him to really get it.

A kestrel for a knave was on a reading list along with a lot of the books mentioned here. I haven't read it yet and neither has DS.

Itmakesthereaderreadon Thu 22-Feb-18 21:40:40

Frankenstein. Jekyll and Hyde.
I loved the Tripods do much at that age.
John Christopher, the guardian's.
AbeRcrombie half a war series, NOT the adult stuff.

Ceecee18 Thu 22-Feb-18 21:48:17

Has he read a series of unfortunate events? It's a really great series and definitely age appropriate without being childish. And it's been made into a series on Netflix as well.

We teach animal farm in year 7/8 at the school I work at, but would not even consider 1984 or brave new world at that stage, not age appropriate all given the sex scenes. Definitely agree with the Dickens suggestions.

FancyNewBeesly Thu 22-Feb-18 21:48:23

If he loves 20th century history and his level is quite advanced then definitely get The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier & Klay, even if he’s not quite ready for it yet - can’t recommend it enough!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: