Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Travel around London

(28 Posts)
JustHooking Thu 22-Feb-18 18:50:22

We are going to London in the summer
I understand we can get oyster cards for the week which we preload
I wondered if anyone could advise on how the cost of cabs would compare
There will be 4 of us and I thought the kids would see more of London in a cab

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 18:52:31

I wouldn’t bother - same streets and you see way more on the top of a double decker. Just check out the routes and catch the bus - children under 16 travel free on the bus (not the tube) and toy can use switch to travel.

OutyMcOutface Thu 22-Feb-18 18:53:01

It's generally faster on the tube

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 18:54:29

But you don’t see as much! I prefer to walk anyway.

BothersomeCrow Thu 22-Feb-18 18:55:36

Download Citymapper free app. Get buses, especially routes 11 and 15 which go past the Tower, Trafalgar Square, Parliament etc.

A cab will cost about a quid a minute and London traffic goes about 12mph. Though going in one for a short journey so kids can ride backwards on jump seats is fun.

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 18:56:48

I like the 24 myself!

BothersomeCrow Thu 22-Feb-18 18:57:06

Also under-11s are free on Tube and bus so if yours are then just use a contact less card. If older, the rules keep changing so check.

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 18:57:35

I think it’s 11 - then half price.

retirednow Thu 22-Feb-18 18:57:40

Don't get cabs, they are expensive and traffic can be awful, just get buses which go everywhere and underground trains for speed. Look up,the tfl bus site, it tells you which buses go where and you'll see all the sights. Walking is quicker in some part of London.

Thymeout Thu 22-Feb-18 19:01:51

TFL have a Journey Planner facility on their website. You just type in, say, the name of your hotel and where you want to go and it gives you all the options. Children are free on buses but over 12s need a ZIP identity card. Details on the website. You can also travel on multiple buses for up to an hour for the same initial charge. And you can use contactless on the tube and buses. No cash on buses.

I never use a black cab except when I've got luggage. They're really pricey and get stuck in traffic, with the meter ticking away.

Taffeta Thu 22-Feb-18 19:02:38

Unless you’re going huge distances or it’s pudding down, it’s always better to walk

Plan your days so walking works

Taffeta Thu 22-Feb-18 19:03:18

Pudding = pissing

Fucking autocorrect censoring me, wanker .

Fekko Thu 22-Feb-18 19:04:51

storynanny Thu 22-Feb-18 19:05:02

I agree with bus idea, swipe your contactless card at the beginning of the day and will be capped at a certain amount ( can’t remember how much) then you have option of bus, tube and even a ride along the Thames. You can see so much more from the top deck.

little0miss0mac Thu 22-Feb-18 19:05:26

You don't need an Oyster card - you can use contactless bank cards or Apple Pay etc which work just the same (capping out at the daily travel card rate if you reach it), and you won't be left with a balance on your Oyster card at the end of your trip.

Worth getting a kids Oyster Zip card if you'll be taking the mainline trains anywhere, eg to Hampton Court Palace - tube guards and bus drivers seem to be fine about older kids (ie probably about 6+ - DS is 10 now) not having one but we've been stopped at the gates in Waterloo before and forced to buy a child's ticket, before we knew about the Zip card. You'll need to sort this out in advance as they need a photo and will send you a personalised card.

JessieMcJessie Thu 22-Feb-18 19:08:16

Yes, you don’t even need Oysters anymire, just swipe your contactless bank card on the turnstile/when you board the bus and it automatically caps the charge at the cheapest travel card price. Maybe do one cab ride for the novelty but otherwise bu is best with Tube for longer distances. Citymapper is great, even tells you when the next bus is due.

Lovelydovey Thu 22-Feb-18 19:08:22

Agree with getting buses and walking if you want to see London. I got a cab today - £9 to travel just over a mile and that was in good traffic. What is a 25 min walk still took 15 mins in a cab and I saw far more on the walk there than the cab back.

blackberryfairy Thu 22-Feb-18 19:11:26

I have lived in London for almost all of my life - nearly 40 years except for a time away at university.

Except for airport journeys and work trips with others, I have been in a taxi in London about five times in my life.

My kids have spent their entire lives and have never been in a taxi in London except to the airport and back.

Why would you bother?

Winterfellismyhome Thu 22-Feb-18 19:16:05

The Zip cards are only for children who live in London. You can buy a normal oyster card and ask a member of tube staff to add a young visitor discount which gives half price travel.

Black cabs are ridiculously expensive. Buses definitely better but tube quicker

little0miss0mac Thu 22-Feb-18 19:33:47

Ah, didn't know that about Zip cards!

IamPickleRick Thu 22-Feb-18 19:36:17

I also only get a cab when work are paying. The tube and buses are great and you’ll see the most on the Thames clipper which is oyster too (but not free for kids)

JustHooking Thu 22-Feb-18 20:23:04

Buses it is

LoniceraJaponica Thu 22-Feb-18 20:40:00

You can only use one contactless card per person.

tibradden Thu 22-Feb-18 20:46:12

Not true re Zip cards only being for Londoners
We live abroad but travel to London frequently to see MIL.
Used our address and picked up under 11 zip card and 11-15 from Euston at Christmas.
I find it easier for my kids to have their own zip cards

PaperdollCartoon Thu 22-Feb-18 20:51:11

I would say get walk and get the tube as much as possible, you’ll waste half the day sitting in cabs. Use a contactless card and walk through the big gates with the kids.

BUT - get one black cab for the experience. I’ve lived in and near London all my life and rarely ridden in a black cab, but everyone so often I do and it does still feel like a treat grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now