Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If your child hated the car as a baby...

(27 Posts)
itsnosoap Thu 22-Feb-18 16:03:38

...when did they stop?

DD (8 months) is not a fan of the car. She's usually ok on short journeys if she has recently napped and been fed, and has toys to occupy her.

However, anything longer than 15mins or if she's tired, she goes into hysterics. Nothing seems to help. She will eventually sleep but it can take ages.

If your child had a similar aversion, when did it stop? And did anything help?

OutyMcOutface Thu 22-Feb-18 16:05:51

It improved for us when we move ours into front facing seats-better view.

Gribbie Thu 22-Feb-18 16:13:15

Same - when forward facing. We hardly drove anywhere for a year!

NotUmbongoUnchained Thu 22-Feb-18 16:15:03

Forward facing!

silkpyjamasallday Thu 22-Feb-18 16:15:06

DD was like this but with added projectile vomiting after 15 minutes. No amount of toys, distractions, singing nursery rhymes, holding her hand, pointing at things out of the window to look at etc worked. She has just moved to a forward facing seat at 17 months old and the first few journeys she was still unsettled and was sick, until I started sitting in the front with DP (I don't drive) now she seems to occupy herself and looks out the window rather than at me. It's a total pain when they hate the car as it limits what you are willing to travel for, but we are hopefully coming out the other side now.

Torvi Thu 22-Feb-18 16:23:39

Forward facing as well

itsnosoap Thu 22-Feb-18 16:29:20

I did wonder if forward-facing would help! I'll have to check when the new law comes in, but sounds like that's what we need.

Projectile vomiting sounds awful, Silky!

Thanks for your help everyone.

raisedbyguineapigs Thu 22-Feb-18 16:31:29

We had projectile vomiting in the car after 15 minutes too- also if we went round roundabouts or if we took too many turns! We walked everywhere...

raisedbyguineapigs Thu 22-Feb-18 16:32:44

He's only just stopped being car sick at 6 but still hates the car. DS1 had panic attacks on long journeys until last year hmm

Juanbablo Thu 22-Feb-18 16:42:20

When she turned forward facing at around 18 months. She's almost 8 and a good traveller now.

Mol1628 Thu 22-Feb-18 17:20:10

I didn’t turn forward facing but what did help was getting him out of the infant carrier and into a bigger, higher rear facing seat when he was 10 months which lasted him till he was 4.

Brought him home in that seat after buying it and he fell asleep straight away with no noise, previously he would scream and cry for ages and ages and ages before finally giving in.

crackerjacket Thu 22-Feb-18 17:31:05

DD is now 13 months and slowly seems to be more comfortable in the car i.e. less screaming, but not for long.

PinkyBlunder Thu 22-Feb-18 17:34:52

It got better when she went forward facing. There’s no way we could have done extended rear facing... having said that she’s nearly 5 and still gets car sick and hates travelling in the car sad

HopeAndJoy16 Thu 22-Feb-18 18:15:03

My dd used to be the same in the maxi cosi seat, we bought a joie steadi at 4 months ish and the crying improved 80%. I think the positioning in that seat really helped. She's now 10 months and has completely out grown the hysterics. Hope it stops for you soon, I really feel your pain.

Dweet1259 Thu 22-Feb-18 18:17:58

My DS has never liked the car, screamed as a baby and still not great now really, is only content for up to 30 minutes. As he's older it's helped having a DVD player in the back but I don't think he'll ever enjoy the car!!

lljkk Thu 22-Feb-18 18:20:38

Forward facing, so about 15 months. Blimey, DC3 was such a nightmare. Other DC were fine backwards, just not Number3.

Nan0second Thu 22-Feb-18 18:20:40

Yep when we moved to big extended rear facing seat. She was clearly a lot more comfy and could see more out the windows too.
(Maxi cosi 2 way pearl so moved into that at 10months and is still rear facing at 2 years 8 months

NualaCassia Thu 22-Feb-18 18:52:00

The screaming stopped when we put him in an extended rear facing car seat and he could sit up and see more.

He had silent reflux and the baby carrier didn’t help.

The projectile vomiting didn’t start until we turned him forward facing at 4.5 years old and we still have to give him medication before we go on long car journeys at 7 years old. He still doesn’t particularly like the car but he doesn’t scream/cry/throw up now at least.

anotherchangetomyname Thu 22-Feb-18 20:35:52

DS improved about 10/11 months. He's two now and pretty good. And still rear facing. I wasn't prepared to turn him forward facing yet.

anotherchangetomyname Thu 22-Feb-18 20:37:16

And yes, it seemed to time with being in the more upright seat!

milkjetmum Thu 22-Feb-18 20:40:36

Loud music in the car was the key for dd2! She would pause crying when we changed songs to see what we'd put on and would resume crying if she didn't approve.

Discovered this accidently when she fell asleep two days in a row when we were watching the Glastonbury highlights at home. She's definitely a rock chick! I guess it must be the bass line thump or just distraction or just a music lover?

ChristmasAccountant Thu 22-Feb-18 20:42:32

Please research the safety issues and into extended rear facing before turning forward facing - baby might just be happier in a bigger seat where they can see more.

SpikeGilesSandwich Thu 22-Feb-18 20:51:18

Interesting thread. DS still hates the car passionately at 18 months, I can't wait for him to grow out of it. Undecided about getting a forward facing seat or not, I want him to be safe but hate how miserable he is every time we go anywhere.

WeaselsRising Thu 22-Feb-18 20:57:45

Mine stopped when we put her forward facing as well. She was horribly carsick on a regular basis at 3-4 years old and we used those sea sickness bands, which did seem to work.

IckleWicklePumperNickle Thu 22-Feb-18 21:00:13

Forward facing and just after 12 months. Had to do a lot of singing too. He didn't even like push chairs, I carried him in the carrier and he still likes his carrier. Now at 21m we are sane in the car.

The eldest was fine in the car, only crying when he wanted boob and he loved his pushchair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now