Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you’ve had a c section...

(14 Posts)
Imnotapootroll Thu 22-Feb-18 15:31:30

How long did it take for you to return to normal bowel movements?

Had a CS 4 weeks ago and I used to be a twice a day kind of girl and now it’s more like every 4 days and a struggle - it’s so painful and I’m in tears every time.

I’ve tried everything, from stool softeners to caster oil - is this normal after ? Will it go?

Namechanged cus ‘tis a bit embarrassing but I promise I’m not a poo troll! grin

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 22-Feb-18 15:33:25

Are you taking lactulose? I needed it for some weeks

eurochick Thu 22-Feb-18 19:02:00

Are you dehydrated from breastfeeding?

Troels Thu 22-Feb-18 19:03:21

I was back to normal in a couple of weeks. I ate prunes and drank lots of water.

Dailystuck71 Thu 22-Feb-18 19:37:01

I went 13 days without going. I had a check up and the nurse said to double my lactulose. Following morning and slowly to begging with I started to go. Took about 8 tips over 5-6 hours to clear out and then was back to normal.

I have to say the really old stuff -sorry -was backed up hard and horrible to pass.

BettyMorris Thu 22-Feb-18 20:15:36

Once a week for ages. I had no appetite for ages though. It got back to "normal" eventually. But in your situation, lactulose, plenty of fluids and fibre.

Congratulations on your little one!

Makingworkwork Thu 22-Feb-18 20:16:40

Are you on pain medication? Many pain meds make you constipated.

BzyB Thu 22-Feb-18 20:22:34

Flip, I had no issues with any of 3 cs recoveries. ( pregancy on the other hand 😳)
Lots of water and talk to dr about a safe laxative if bf.
I took lactulose in pregnancy and it was fab.
As difficult as it will be, try to relax. My birthing instructor recommended deep breathing like when you are in labour, relaxing jaw and making a om sound ( I didn’t do last part!) and it helps relax the spincters. (Don’t push) You may be tensing in anticipation of pain and making the problem worse?

mrsmonkey14 Thu 22-Feb-18 20:28:23

Peppermint oil tablets(Holland and Barrett sell them). And peppermint tea. Honestly. Will really help. Took me a while to get back to normal.

ivehadtonamechangeforthis Thu 22-Feb-18 20:28:48

Have they not given you lactulose?

I was given 15ml of lactulose twice a day whilst I was in hospital and went home with a bottle of the stuff and continued taking twice a day so i didn't have to strain at all. l continued with the Lactulose for about 3 or 4 weeks.

Couldashouldawoulda Thu 22-Feb-18 20:46:09

Oh yes, I bet it's pain meds, they're terrible for causing constipation - are you still taking them? Glycerin suppositories helped me in the early days.

Helpthem2018 Thu 22-Feb-18 20:46:29

Lots of water, lactulose and a bit of lube up the bum to help things out blush

Imnotapootroll Thu 22-Feb-18 21:06:06

Hadn’t considered it could be dehydration, I am bf’ing, but I think I’m drinking lots of water - will make a conscious effort to have more though. And thanks will buy some lactulose, not on pain meds anymore - although at first (the dreaded first, 7 days post section) was probably due to all the meds. Just want to be back to normal and thought I would be once I stopped taking them - that was 3 weeks ago sad

Troels Thu 22-Feb-18 21:23:10

I was told that each time I sat down to nurse the baby, have a large glass of water next to me and drink it while he fed. Seemed to make me drink more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: