Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How long is your commute?

(21 Posts)
MsMarvel Thu 22-Feb-18 13:00:51

I applied for a job, and they have got back in touch with me very interested in my experience and keen to get me in for an interview. Job would be based 1 hour 15 mins commute each way.

I currently travel all over the country, so some days I can be walking to work, others I need to get a train , or can be driving as much as 3 hours each way.

I'm thinking that overall its still going to be less driving/travelling than I'm doing now but worried its still quite a distance.

Its just so nice to hear from someone saying they want to interview me rather than the 'sorry you are unsuccessful' enails ive been getting, or even worse, not hearing at all.

Amrapaali Thu 22-Feb-18 13:04:41

Mine used to be an hour but now 35 minutes. Go for it . .you will get used to the travel. Won't be pleasant but you will most definitely get used to it grin

Plan well ahead though for traffic snafus

Ifailed Thu 22-Feb-18 13:06:06

Many people manage a 75 minute commute. I think the problem is how predictable that is, for example people living on the south coast relying on Southern Trains to get them to London and back seem to be particularly full of rage at their journey.

WhereIsBlueRabbit Thu 22-Feb-18 13:07:14

It depends on what you're used to and the method of transport involved. An hour's train ride, with home and office each five minutes from the station, is quite different from 15 minutes bus, 20 minutes tube, 10 minutes second tube, 15 minutes train and 15 minutes walk.

I've done 1hr 10 before (20 mins walk/10 mins bus, 30 minutes tube, 20 minutes walk) and am currently on 1hr 30, but find it manageable as it's two big chunks of train/tube time with short walks at either end.

I wouldn't drive an hour in heavy city traffic if I had a choice as I'd personally find that exhausting (I appreciate not everyone has a choice) but the train can be quite relaxing once you're in a routine as you can use the time for other things.

Would you have a plan B if your usual mode of transport was down?

Bluedoglead Thu 22-Feb-18 13:07:21

Is it a train or bus or will yoube driving?

notacooldad Thu 22-Feb-18 13:10:45

To be honest I would hate that. It eats too much into my free time.
My commute is 12 minutes in rush hour, 8 mins any other time.

MrsJoshDun Thu 22-Feb-18 13:15:09

1.5 hours each way. I do half the week on the train and drive half the week, takes same time either way. You get used to it. But work is flexible about finishing times, I can leave early and work from home in the evening. So miss rush hour.

RoryAndLogan Thu 22-Feb-18 13:16:25

Between 1hr15 and 1hr30 door to door.
Walk to station, train journey, tube journey, few minutes walk.

It's not a great commute but the London salary isn't something I want to give up so I suck it up... for now.

Penners99 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:32:15

Only 500 yards for me

hotcrosssbunsandtea Thu 22-Feb-18 14:50:50

45 minutes drive each way.

LadyR77 Thu 22-Feb-18 15:15:23

Mine is a 10-minute drive, door-to-door.

mydietstartsmonday Thu 22-Feb-18 15:23:07

Same as Rory 1 1/2 hours door to door, I try and wfh 2 days a week - do not want to give up the London salary. 5 days in the office its hard work but 3 is totally manageable.

Feezles Thu 22-Feb-18 15:32:24

Exactly (almost spookily) the same as Rory - 1hr15, walk to the station, train, tube, short walk to office.

I'm used to it now, it isn't great but it could be a lot worse. I'd love to live within cycling distance, but I just couldn't do it quickly enough to fit in with nursery drop off and pick up. We need my salary, and work are flexible about my start and finish time, with the occasional day WFH, so overall it works pretty well.

I actually quite enjoy the time on the train (40 mins). I use it as chillout time, so can just zone out of work and back into home life.

maddiemookins16mum Thu 22-Feb-18 15:38:04

Until 3 weeks ago I WFH 3 days a week and commuted into the office twice a week
My commute days were a five hour trip on each of the two days. It was hell.

Scribblegirl Thu 22-Feb-18 15:41:38

Mine is:
- 10 minute walk to station
- Choice of 15 minute standing on fast train or 30 minutes sitting on slow train
- Choice of 25 minute bus, 15 minute crammed tube or 40 minute walk

I usually pick the slow train and the bus so it's just over an hour, but I can get it down to 40 mins if I'm in a rush and don't mind the quality of the journey. As others have said, the method of commuting is invariably far more important than the time spent.

MsMarvel Thu 22-Feb-18 16:14:51

It would be driving from house to work. Office location is very rural so dont think there would be any public transport for a plan B.

But the HR woman I was speaking to said they have other staff who would be doing the same commute as me so there could be potential car share opportunities.

WhiskeySourpuss Thu 22-Feb-18 16:15:51

I'm 30mins in the morning but as I'm heading in the opposite direction as the majority of traffic heading into Edinburgh & I leave the house at 5:45am I'm practically the only car on the road on the drive in.

Home time is 45mins as more traffic on the road.

I could get a bus which would actually be half the cost of driving each month but I'd be 10mins to park & ride, 30mins on a bus, 20mins on another bus & a 10min walk to work in the morning & then 10min walk to bus stop, an hour on the bus & 10mins drive home.

MrsJBaptiste Thu 22-Feb-18 16:50:36

If you're driving, would it be possible for the 1 hour 15 mins commute to end up being much more than that in rush hour, etc?

My commute is a 45-50 min drive to work (8am) and 30 mins home (2pm) It's a pain knowing the journey can be done door-to-door in half an hour but better than getting the bus which takes just under 2 hours!

OakIsBetterTho Thu 22-Feb-18 16:53:15

Given you'd be driving, it would depend on the length of the day. Admittedly I have CFS an dEDS but I work 7am-5pm, and on top of that, my 30 minute drive to and from work is moreeee than enough. Rural too.

MsMarvel Thu 22-Feb-18 17:57:00

Traffic wouldn't really be an issue on the roads. Most people would be traveling the opposite direction to me.

The big thing thats making me want to do it is the job title. Its a position that I have experience in but in a more indirect way. So no specific qualification or obvious career leading to it, but my current job covers a lot of the same things. So if I could get a job with the title that I need, even if I did it for a year, it would open a lot of doors to me without needing to go back to uni and retrain which I want to avoid if possible.

MsMarvel Thu 22-Feb-18 17:58:00

It would be standard office hours, potentially flexible with a few longer days at month end amd get the hours back mid month. But generally 9-5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now