Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

‘Party’ for 5 10yr old boys on a very tight budget....

(44 Posts)
Notmyactualname Thu 22-Feb-18 11:39:59

Any got any ideas?!

happymumof4crazykids Thu 22-Feb-18 11:43:39

Pizza and a film with a camp out sleepover in the lounge? A few sweets popcorn and a cake?

Notmyactualname Thu 22-Feb-18 11:45:42

Yes - good plan. DS really wants to ‘do’ something too. He mentioned paint balling hmm but out of budget. He’s had a tough time lately and it would be nice to do something special

Sugarhunnyicedtea Thu 22-Feb-18 11:48:12

Bowling can be quite cheap, often offers on wowcher or little bird. Or a treasure hunt somewhere, hide clues round a country park - they get to run round which is what boys want to do 😀
Football at the park then chips in the cafe?

Sirzy Thu 22-Feb-18 11:50:59

Does your local cinema do a kids AM showing? That’s nirmslly about £1.50 each

Foslady Thu 22-Feb-18 11:51:50

Wowcher and groupon have some cinema deals on at the moment - that and home for pizza?

oldbirdy Thu 22-Feb-18 11:52:03

We hired a home cinema thing one year, with a roll up screen. Made it feel more special. Think it was about 60 quid.

HateSummer Thu 22-Feb-18 11:52:57

Could you set up some fun science experiments for them? Like mentos and coke, making slime, shrinking plastic crisp wrappers (mini cheddar wrappers) in the oven, making plastic milk...loads more online. My dd is 10 and loves things like that.

TheQueef Thu 22-Feb-18 11:53:09

Laserquest and birthday tea out?

Cedar03 Thu 22-Feb-18 11:53:51

DD (10) went to a scavenger hunt party in the local park. They were in teams and had to find various things. The afterwards they went back to watch a film, eat popcorn and cake, etc

2ndTimeMother Thu 22-Feb-18 11:57:02

Nerf gun war in the garden.

Followed by pizza, film & sleep over.

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 22-Feb-18 11:59:40

Groupon do some cheap paintballing deals. Sometimes party packages. Might be worth a look to see if they have anything in your area.

nobutreally Thu 22-Feb-18 12:02:56

We've done successfully with that sort of age group:
Home cinema night
Scavenger hunt/'taskmaster' style: ours were slightly older so we did a lot of phone photo based tasks (loads of fun ideas on pinterest)
Spy themed party (clues hidden around park that had to be decoded to unlock a ticking briefcase and defuse the bomb!) - we did some code-breaking/set up a nerf gun target practice area etc
Craft party (e.g. graffiti canvas/tshirts - you can buy awesome pre-cut graffiti sencils)
Water/nerf gun battles in local woods

nobutreally Thu 22-Feb-18 12:05:15

Eg Banksy stencils:

sashh Thu 22-Feb-18 12:07:09

Do they have Nerf guns? Can you get a few then they can have a nerf fight. You can buy extra 'bullets' quite cheaply.

Get them to make their own pizza?

Where abouts are you OP often there are local things that are not expensive. Nearish to me there is a college that teaches various animal care courses, they therefore have animals and you can have a party for £8 per child.

JamieFraserskneewarmer Thu 22-Feb-18 12:09:27

If he wants an activity then how about a wide game? Might not mean anything to you if you have never done Scouts/Guides but basically it is a game played over a large area outside. I ran for a friend's 11 year old son and it was a real success but does need a fair bit of planning and some adult/older helpers to make it work BUT can be done on an absolute shoestring. You can find loads of ideas online by googling "wide games" but if there are only 5 of them you can probably keep it quite simple. We were on a bigger scale but, in short, the boys had one "life" each at the beginning. This was just a slip of card cut from old cereal box. They then had to collect five different coloured sticky stars ( about £1 for the pack from Poundland). They had to collect all five colours and then make their way back to base (their house - but they were within walking distance). Three sets of starts were hidden with clues - dead letterboxes (with dire warnings given for anyone who decided to take one and destroy/move the remaining ones) and the remaining two had to be collected from adults who roamed around/hid/ran away. We also had "catchers" (three teenage brothers of party goers who were pressed into service for the whole party) who were on the look-out for them and could remove players' lives if they got caught in which case they had to go "home" get a new "life" and start again. Do you have a local park or open space you can use? You need to think up a theme that woud resonate with your boys - we had Zombies so that neither the catchers or the boys could run if they caught sight of each other but had to do the whole shambling zombie thing but, to be honest, that along worked as long as no dog-walkers, other park users were in sight! Follow it up with cooking on an open fire in the garden and making smores. Use a barbecue or firepit if you have one and an open fire sounds too ambitious.

MacaroniPenguin Thu 22-Feb-18 12:09:43

How tight is tight on the budget? With only 5 could you stretch to a trampoline park or indoor rock climbing place (£10ish per child) then back to yours for pizzas? We like the Asda deli pizzas for parties, they are huge and a fraction of the cost of takeaway. Cinema would also work in that kind of budget.

If you can't fit them all in your car you could ask one parent to help out, if you are friendly with any.

Standardpubquizname Thu 22-Feb-18 12:13:52

Fun science experiments is a good idea, could do some kind of taste testing too, tasting nice and more unusual flavours blindfolded.

Was going to suggest 'make your own pizzas' too, get bases and toppings and a prize for the best. Could also do an ice cream factory, various flavours, sprinkles, sauces etc

greedycushionhoarder Thu 22-Feb-18 12:15:00

Definitely try Groupon, they have lots of party offers including a paintball party from £35. I used Groupon for a football party for my daughter's 9th, it was one of the cheapest parties we've done and one of the most popular.

Notmyactualname Thu 22-Feb-18 12:29:06

Thanks everyone - these are great! We’ve not done a proper party before. We’re in quite an affluent area so I’m a bit nervous about ‘matching up’ if that makes sense?!

ChippyMinton Thu 22-Feb-18 12:34:48

While the paintball deals can look cheap on paper, be wary of the number of paintballs included. You will find that you have to buy extra which can be ££.

TheQueef Thu 22-Feb-18 16:03:34

Don't worry about doing an expensive party.
Memorable is what you need so look for cheap but brilliant (for a kid) ideas.
If they like outdoors.... camp out in a farmers field nearby with a scavenger hunt.
If they like indoors and games old school LAN or D+D night/weekender to make them feel grown up.

grasspigeons Thu 22-Feb-18 16:11:09

we've done cooking over campfire in the garden and set up targets for home made blow pipes (pipe, wooden skewer and pipe cleaner) and tins to knock over with elastic band guns.

The boys loved it - they aren't as jaded as their parents.

mrsmainz Thu 22-Feb-18 16:13:20

For my 10yr olds bday a few months back we did a fifa party.

Picked 5/6 mates, came over for 2 hours and the husband devised a fifa tournament for them.

I filled the table in the dining room with food, pizza and cake etc, and some of the parents stayed and we had chilli and spuds in the kitchen.

Went down a treat here smile

formerbabe Thu 22-Feb-18 16:19:28

We’re in quite an affluent area so I’m a bit nervous about ‘matching up’ if that makes sense?

I wouldn't worry about that. As a mother of a (nearly) ten year old boy, I can assure you the parents will just be thrilled they're out of the house for a couple of hours wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now